boris83

Need Advice-Locked out by landlord

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3597 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

First, thanks for reading my post.

I have entered a leasing agreement with a landlord, and I spent huge amount of money to refurbish the building to become a school, and in agreement of lease, the landlord must maintain the heating system and external and fabric of building, arrange car parking space, build new disable ramp but I have all these problems during my 18 months staying, leaking roof, damp wall, inefficient heating system which occur huge gas bill and still cold; also landlord never divide the parking space therefore having argument with other tenants all the time, plus he never build the disable ramp as in the agreement.

The last thing happened in January this year really make up my mind to get out this building, the heating pipe burst(basically become a swimming pool) and damage the expensive dance floor, the lighting on the ceiling, and sound equipments. It's not the first time I have problems with heating system and leakage, it's ongoing from the start of the lease term, and landlord never fix it properly.

Anyway, I give landlord the notice and saying I can't carry on like this, and I am willing to pay him reasonable sum of money. We have a verbal agreement with him, once we pay the money he is going to release us from the lease. Also by his suggestion(in the email), we become his agent to continue managing the venue hire business and landlord gives us commission from selling spaces.

It seems to be all going so well, but when we go to pay him the money and ask for release documentation, he totally changed his attitude saying not going to release us from the lease, also become very aggressive toward me and my business partner, it really shock me and in order to avoid the situation, I have no choice to walk away from his aggression.

By that weekend, he locks us out and I have no chance to get our equipments out.

I know it's like a soap opera but I am not kidding landlord just went mad on us and deny all the agreement we have and claim we own the rent for April and May (landlord and I originally agree the term finished the end of March and I have paid everything till that day). Also he accepted the income from venue hire in April which I have invoice from him.

Anyway, I have been through property lawyers, but it seems going no where, also my landlord's solicitor takes her time to get back each request. I just want to get my equipments back, because this moment I have spent huge amount of money to hire the equipments to do the gig.

PLEASE HELP! Any right on my side?

PS: I have read some threads, one saying if landlord change the lock which mean he terminated the lease therefore he is not my landlord anymore, so he has no right to hold my goods under Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977, I just want to make sure it's correct.