marveldude16

Bought Faulty Car

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3596 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Bought a car 5 days ago, only to have issues with it the day after purchase and a garage tell me it would need upwards of £1000 spending on it. I'm not sure if it was a dealer (but I think it was). What rights do I have on this issue?

It really does depend on the status of the seller before anyone can offer advice - did you get a receipt of some description ?

To make things more clear:

Bought a 2003 Renault Clio on 25/09/10 from what seemed like a dealer (he came up under a company name and was selling more than one car). There were no issues stated (and had passed it's M.O.T in July 2010)when the car was purchased and we took it home (we do have a recipt). My Dad drove the car later that day, claiming there was a knocking noise when cornering (we also had to replace a rear windscreen wiper, as the blade was completely gone). We took the car to a garage 29/09/10 and they have said that there is lots wrong with it (CV boots, Dif, Head Gasket and Clutch all need to be replaced) and will cost me upwards of £1000. I was just wondering what my rights are in this situation? Can I get a refund on the car? Can I force the dealer to pay for the repairs? Or am I stuck with £1000 to fix a car?

I heard on the radio recently that used cars bought from a trader are covered by the Sale of Goods Act and in the first 3 months it is assumed the faults were there at purchase and the trader has the responsibility to resolve them.

Best bet is to contact the trader and see what he says. I would however record the call (you don't have to tell him)

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Yes, you can reject the car or ask for repairs to be done - if you wish to reject, this must be done in writing advising the reasons why you are rejecting it and you must stop using the car immediately - you also only have a short period of time to do this, generally a few weeks after purchase. If the dealer has any sense they will do this, as it sounds as though repairs will not be cost effective for them.

Alternatively, if you want the repairs done then this is also the responsibilty of the dealer - you must though offer them the chance to inspect and rectify the faults themselves, and I would imagine that their take on the faults may differ from the garage that have looked at it so far. Again, if the cost of repairs are high, the dealer does have the option of offering an alternative vehicle or a refund, you can't force repairs if the cost is prohibitive.

We talked to the dealer and he wants the car taken back so he can inspect the faults.

Thank you very much, it is good to know that I won't have to shell out upwards of £1000 to fix this :D