Jump to content


  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • No I have not. I will probably do that
    • Based on ECP's previous, what will definitely happen is this. They will send more idiotic letters. After they will send a Letter of Claim, and it is essential that your brother replies at this point to this to show them he would be big trouble in court. Next it is highly likely (but not certain) that they will crawl back under their stone and that will be the end of the matter. The slight worry is that if they do do court it will seem a likely story to a judge that your brother has no connection to the ticket, when it was him who appealed and replied to the Letter of Claim.  Indeed I think it would seem the lot of you were playing games with ECP and with the court by getting unconnected people involved and then later deny they were involved. So be aware there is that slight risk. You talked about "a mess" in your first post, and you weren't wrong. Someone hires a car and gets a ticket.  There is an appeal.  Who appeals, the hirer?  No, the hirer's mate's son.  Obvious! There is an approach for help to a consumer website.  By the hirer?  No, by the hirer's mate's son's brother! This is so damn silly and totally avoidable. Anyway, it seems the decision has been made for your brother to carry the can so whatever consequences will ensue will ensue. 
    • Doc 04-19-2024 11-01-51-merged-compressed.pdf good morning.    9 pages attached.    thank you  UCM
    • Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
  • Recommended Topics

  • Our picks

    • If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

      On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

      Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

      The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

      I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

      Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 
       

      Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

      The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

      Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

      One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

      Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

      We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

      It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

       

      OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
        • Like
  • Recommended Topics

Advice please - Income-based JSA/DLA/Carer's Allowance


Ren41
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4945 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

 

Please click the "Report " link

 

at the bottom of one of the posts.

 

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

 

Thanks

Recommended Posts

hello, I'm hoping someone on here can give me some advice. It's quite complex.

 

I and my husband have been in receipt of income-based JSA, having not paid enough class 1 contributions (partners in a partnership-based company for the previous 25 years). We are receiving MIP, although not yet had a letter to say how much this is being reduced by under the interest rate changes.

 

I have been awarded DLA at higher rate mobility & middle rate care, due to long term chronic autoimmune diseases. Following advice from the JC+, some months ago I filled in a JSA 6 and have been handing in medical certificates to the JC+ office, and I am classified as exempt from attending to 'sign on'.

 

I was advised by JC+ that this was the best course of action - apparently I could otherwise have moved us both onto income-based ESA, or split the joint JSA claim, or applied for contributions-only ESA and continued with the joint JSA claim. Everyone I spoke with at the DWP had a different opinion on what we could or couldn't do; the JSA 6 option seemed like the least disruptive.

 

My husband has received a letter today confirming that he will be awarded Carer's Allowance. We already receive a carer's premium in the JSA payment, & we understand that the JSA will be reduced by the amount of the Carer's Allowance. I do however have questions as to what happens next with my husband's JSA claim.

 

I understand that he may be able to make changes to his JSA agreement, given that he will be in receipt of Carer's Allowance. Are there likely to be any other changes, or other options? Should we, or will we have to, move to Income Support, and what implications are there likely to be if this happens?

 

Many thanks for any help anyone can offer.

 

Ren

Link to post
Share on other sites

He can make a claim for IS for himself and you as his partner, you should end up with the same amount of benefit, and the help you receive with your mortgage would stay the same.

He would not need to sign on but this would mean that his with stamp would not be credited.

Make an appointment with welfare rights.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello there. Mikey may not be around again until this evening. You would normally contact Welfare Rights [if they're in your area] through the local council helpline or website, or maybe the CAB. They're good guys, judging by people's experiences on this forum.

 

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Honeybee. It seems to me from Mikey's answer that the only difference in changing between JSA and IS is likely to be the NIS stamp. Could he pay it himself? I don't know how much it is - as per my original post, we have been paying class II & IV for many years.

 

Ren

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Mikey

 

yes, I thought I had read that somewhere.

 

Have tried to call the CAB to get an appointment, as it looks as though the welfare rights specialists work through them, but annoyingly they have a message this afternoon saying - not surprisingly - that they are experiencing a high volume of calls. It's a local number so costs money just to get the message, I preferred it this morning when I was getting the engaged tone. I shall have to try & go in on Monday.

 

We had hoped that we could regenerate our business long before this, but have been hampered not just by the recession but my inability to work most of the time, my husband's having had 3 operations in the last 3 years, and the DWP's less than helpful attitude at times. It's quite clear that no-one wants to employ people of our age and level of experience, let alone my state of health, and I was actually told once that if I was questioned at an interview and mentioned my illnesses or that I couldn't work a full day, our JSA would be stopped. We were also told that if we spent any time trying to get business going, our JSA would be stopped. I don't want to be on any of these benefits, but we clearly have to be to survive and IS looks like a better alternative than JSA, as far as I can see.

 

Ren

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Ren,

I cant tell you what to do in respect of your benefit claim, but I process I.S and given your circumstances with your ill health and your husband caring for you then I would say you would be better on IS because your husband then could concentrate on the most important job at the moment caring for you.

Benefit wise you would receive the same amount as your on now, if indeed your are on JSA IB based.

Its easy to switch benefit, maybe wait untill after your husband receives his benefit then the same day phone the contact centre and make the claim to IS, its should be an easy switch over.

You will have to make a claim for your mortgage again on the new IS claim and maybe fill out a new mortgage MI12, the form you give to your building society, but dont worry there will be no gap in your mortgage payments.

Good luck in your decision and if you want further help we are all here :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

that's lovely Mikey, thanks. I think the IS would be better (and yes, it is income based JSA) from what I understand; everything does seem to mess up the system though, and twice our mortgage payment has gone wrong for random reasons - the last when I claimed DLA, and our JSA also stopped, we had to chase it.When I called to enquire about it they said it always did when someone claimed a different benefit, just in case it was a conflicting benefit. I would have expected their system to be sophisticated enough to check that sort of thing automatically & flag it only if they did clash, but clearly not! We have of course been penalised because they count as 'late payments'.

 

So, call on the day the benefit arrives, not on the day he's signed on?

 

regards

 

Ren

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would phone up the day after signing then it should work out as no break in your claim. The date you phone the contact centre will the date your IS claims goes from this is called your IDOC date. When you have completed your form over the phone then inform JSA you are making a claim to I.S. Has your partner definately been awarded Carers Allowance because if he has then your claim to IS will have no problems.

The mortgage side may have a bit of a hiccup whilst you transfer benefits but there shouldnt be a gap, I would inform your building society of the change over of benefits and at least they should then be patient whilst its sorted out. They will get their payment

 

The problem with the DLA and JSA is the system. DLA put a download onto the JSA computer system informing them that there has been a new or change of rate of DLA, this stops the payment going out usually not noticed untill you inform the department you have had no money. Its not intentional these downloads are usually cleared but sometimes they are missed ;

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Mikey

 

yes, letter says he is entitled to CA, full award notification with detailed info will follow & will be sent on or around 25/10 - as they need to check it against JSA payments first, presumably.

 

So should we wait until then, do you think? Sorry if questions are inane!

 

many thanks

 

Ren

Link to post
Share on other sites

hi Ren,

Carers have to send a recovary for benefit to JSA before they can start paying the benefit,

So in light of this then I would say yes. Phone and make your claim the day after your husband is due to sign on after the 25th October..

In other words after the 25th has passed and after his signing on make the claim to IS

This will make your claim to IS a lot easier. You should get your first Carers Allowance on the 25th October making it live in payment whe your IS claim is made. A lot easier to process for IS as the Carers Allowance recovary has been done already.

Its hard to explain to you the recovary bit ;)

But the hard part would have been done by JSA :)

Your payday for IS will depend on the last two didgits of your husband NINO, 01- 20 Mon, 21-40 Tuesday 41-60 Wed 61_80 Thur Fri 81_99 and its paid two weeks in arrears.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Mikey

 

Yes, I understand that the Carer's Allowance element is removed from JSA, so although my OH has claimed for CA back to June which is when my DLA dates from, he won't get anything backdated for that period as it's already been paid to us via JSA.

 

Let's hope it's as easy as it appears! I can see it should be as it's all DWP, albeit different departments, but I remain sceptical - I'll keep you posted!

 

Again, thank you for your help.

 

Ren

Link to post
Share on other sites

sorry Mikey just another question

 

he's reminded me that he's been asked in for a 'New Deal' interview on the 26th, his signing on day - should he r call to cancel it, or will that be counterproductive and confuse things? Should he just attend it?

 

thank again

 

Ren

Link to post
Share on other sites

he needs to sign on to get the full two weeks JSA before he makes his claim to IS. He could go to the New deal meeting and then tell them he is claiming IS from the next day, or he could ring and explain.

 

You will get arrears from the carers recovary even though its been off set by JSA. If the period CA has been backdated is from June and hes getting the CA awarded from October it works out at about £30 per week, so count the weeks from the award in June to October and times that by thirty pounds and that will give you a rough amount due

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?


×
×
  • Create New...