Secure/Assured Tenancy

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4928 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

This morning I have received a letter from my landlords asking me to go in and sign some paperwork. It states that when the Housing Trust took over the stock from the Local Council I was in rent arrears so I remained a Secure Tenant. They are now offering me an Assured Tenancy that will be backdated to 2004.

What is the difference between a Secure Tenancy and an Assured Tenancy? I don't want to be signing anything if it affects my rights.

Thanks in advance.

Dont even go there is my opinion - this will erode your security of tenure. They certainly cannot under ANY circumstances backdate a tenancy so god only knows what they are talking about.

Presumably the landlord is a social landlord - i.e. housing association or similar?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Dont even go there is my opinion - this will erode your security of tenure. They certainly cannot under ANY circumstances backdate a tenancy so god only knows what they are talking about.

Presumably the landlord is a social landlord - i.e. housing association or similar?

Thats what I was worried about Mr Shed.

The letter says

When we transferred over from the Borough Council to the Housing Trust(HA) you were not offered a new tenancy as you were in rent arrears and so you remained a secure tenant.

You may now be offered an Assured Tenancy. This will be backdated to 02 February 2004.

Please can you contact me ASAP so we can sign the necessary paperwork.

This sounds like a right can of worms.

Clearly a stock transfer has taken place. Did you ever receive formal notification of change of landlord?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!