Silly Fool

Fare evasion using a child ticket

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3598 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

My sister has used a child ticket (she is a adult !) She did not start the journey as the ticket enforcer stopped her as she passed the barrier. He questioned her and said that she needs to be honest or it will get worse. He asked her if she had done this before and she admitted twice. He said he was sending the paperwork to his office and that they will check CCTV, is this true? He also believed that she was going to travel further. He then let her get on the train without any ticket? She is totally remorseful and would like to avoid court proceedings. Is it worth her contacting National Rail now with a extreamly appologetic letter and asking to pay and administration Fee to cover the costs?

Many thanks for any advice.

How old is she? what TOC was it? I expect she was issued with a "zero" fare in order to complete her journey which is basicly a free ticket.

Views expressed in this forum by me are my own personal opinion and you take it on face value! I make any comments to the best of my knowledge but you take my advice at your own risk.

she is 30!!! It happened at Liverpool Street. She has had a really bad year and this just tops it of!

OOps!

An offence of 'attempting to travel by train' without having previously paid the fare, with intent to avoid the fare, which is contrary to section 5,3,a of the Regulation of Railways Act 1889 seems to be 'provable'.

But: 'sister' needs to wait for a letter from (I guess) NXEA. Then, write a response, apologising, asking if the matter can be dealt with without it going to Court.

If shes 30 then she will be very lucky if NXEA settle out of court on this one i'm afraid but is worth a try.

Views expressed in this forum by me are my own personal opinion and you take it on face value! I make any comments to the best of my knowledge but you take my advice at your own risk.

An out of Court settlement in a case of a 30 year old attempting to pass herself of as someone under 16 and therefore intending to avoid a fare isn't very likely I must say.

The OP also states that the inspector thought she 'was intending to travel further'.

Can you expand on that please? Did she also purchase a child ticket for a shorter journey than that she was intending to make?

If so, this is very much more serious and she will need to be extremely apologetic and totally honest from now on to stand any chance of getting any kind of settlement

'She has had a really bad year and this just tops it of!'

If there are any circumstances that might go some way to explaining her actions, it might be worth mentioning them in any letter.

No afraid to say, in echo to RPI, she's probably knackered. Not only is she 30 (so no possible argument about 'not realising' etc!), but she admitted under Caution that she'd done it twice before? -So they'll do her for that as well.

I take it she made her way from the station concourse and got stopped passing through the gates onto a train? No zero-fare would have been issued: a straight MG11 and then ejection from the station.

Liverpool Street NR platforms are not legally a 'Compulsory Ticket Area' but by the sound of it the intent has been proved as Wriggler states the charge is 'attempting' to travel, i.e. not necessarily having actually travelled. Unlike a Penalty Fare, a Witness Statement (MG11) can be taken effectively anywhere on station premesis, before or after a journey.

Sorry, SF.

If shes 30 then she will be very lucky if NXEA settle out of court on this one i'm afraid but is worth a try.

I take it she made her way from the station concourse and got stopped passing through the gates onto a train? No zero-fare would have been issued: a straight MG11 and then ejection from the station.

Liverpool Street NR platforms are not legally a 'Compulsory Ticket Area' but by the sound of it the intent has been proved as Wriggler states the charge is 'attempting' to travel, i.e. not necessarily having actually travelled. Unlike a Penalty Fare, a Witness Statement (MG11) can be taken effectively anywhere on station premesis, before or after a journey.

Sorry, SF.

Although I agree that an MG11 can be submitted for intending to travel (as the person was on a train....), I believe the Nil-Paid ticket just goes to complete the offence, as no money has been paid. I guess it just looks better in court that way?

what happened? was she issued with anything/placed under caution/questioned?