• Tweets

• Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
    • Even on their map on their website, these parking rules encompass the whole pleasure park - there is no dedicated area for permits and another for free parking as stated. royal leisure park praking area map.pdf
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

ombudsman says no help about citi cards PPI reclaim - help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1865 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

having got my final reply letter from citi cards saying they did not mis sell the payment protector insurance on my credit card

( it was taken out in 1998 when they called themselves assosiates),

i sent all info to Financial Ombudsman.

I have just got a letter from the Ombudsman saying they cannot help me,

as they only came into play in 2001, and citi / associates were not members of any ombudsman schemes , so they cannot lookinto my complaint.

surely they cannot wriggle out of this by this method?

can i get any help please to find out if i should appeal, or what else i could do ?

thank you.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FOS not always helpful,what a rubbish excuse "they did not exist in 1998"..............what reasons have you given Citi for the mis-sold PPI,post up the letter you sent them minus all personal details,we will see if we can help you get this back on track................FS

Edited by firstship
spelling

hello, thank you for getting in touch, first letter to citi cards was -

acc.no.************

dear sirs

this letter is a request to reclaim repayment of my Cardholder Payment Protection insurance i have paid on this account.i have my invoices showing the policy insurance taken each month as far back as 1998 ( i enclose a copy of the earliest invoice i have showing the policy insurance ), the amount i have paid on the invoices i hold comes to over £4000.00 alone.

when i received this credit card, the policy insurance was added by yourselves straight away on the account, i was never asked if i wanted or needed the insurance, you just started charging me each month on my invoice.

I contacted the Financial Ombudsman sevice over this to get advice, and they have told me to contact you, and ask you to repay the monies you owe for the insurance you took over all the years for this policy insurance.

i look forward to an early reply.

i won't make this post any longer, if you need/want the rest of letters between me and citi i will happily post next.

thank you again

Rowan666.......

.....the reason (1) you have given is more than justification for mis-sold to apply,however additional reasons should assist for example...

......where you self employed????

did you have any underlying medical condition???????

was PPI a condition of getting the CC?????

where you asked if you already had insurance in place?????????

where you told you have the option to source your own insurance?????????

these are a few examples of why PPI can be regarded as mis-sold.

I would suggest you send a CCA request template letter on CAG file and ask for copies of the signed agreement and copies of the PPI agreement,

they may try"we dont keep records going back that far,

should this happen,

come back with their reply

there are other routes to take,also write to Citi again and use your original reason plus any other reasons I have indicated as well

,have you checked on this site how to work out mis-sold PPI +interest etc????????????????

if unsure we can guide you through this.

I think Citi are trying it on and need to be put under pressure by you,

for example Citi say the PPI was not mis-sold,

to be this sure they have to have copy of the PPI agreement,

which I doubt they have.......FS

hello, thank you for the reply.

in that first letter i realised i did not say any of those things i should have,

when they got back in toch with me to say they had looked at my claim,

and i had not cancelled the ppi when i got the c.card,

so it was me that decided i wanted ppi, and as it was a postal app. and they did not talk to me.

My reply to them was i was self employed when i took the card out, it would have been on the application i was self employed,

and i was sure it was up to them to make sure the insurance they sold was fit for the person buying it.

they came back firstly saying i had the policy from 2002,

i said no,1998, then their final letter saying again it was clear on the form,

i said yes ( which im sure i did'nt ), and i could have cancelled it , but i didnt.

i know this sounds stupid, but i assumed i had to have insurance to have the credit card, so i just kept paying it.

so as id had the final letter from them i them forwarded it all to the ombudsman, and the outcome you know.

can i go back to citi cards even though ive had a final letter about the claim from them ?

would is the next needed route i need to do from here please ?

.....Actualknowledge correct in as much that they FOS do not have jurisdiction over anything that was prior to their existence,

however their lack of any advice is just typical and unhelpful

.I would not leave it there,

they accepted PPI even though you could not claim due to being self employed,

the PPI was not fit for purpose.

Citi refer back to postal application,

call their bluff,

I would be very surprised if they can produce the agreement with signature and PPI agreement with signature(not impossible but try).

Send SAR cost £10 recorded,

ask for statements and CC signed agreement and signed PPI agreement including terms and conditions

and all other data they hold regarding the account,you need to be specific in your SAR application about what you require.........

........I would pursue them on this,ignore the fact that they say this is their final letter,the SAR is a separate request..........

.......FS

hello

posted a new thread which i didnt need to do -sorry ! could not find this to reply to... okay i will do as you say, do i send to the address i have been writing to, or another address as it's something diffrent im asking for ? do i send a £10 postal order ? and just write a cover letter asking for copy of my original app.form, and agreement i signed and ppi i said yes to ( i have statements back from 1998 ), do i give a time limit on how quick i get this from them, or not ?

thanks for advice

If you have statements going back to 1998,thats fine all the charges will appear as you are aware,SAR Citi direct and address it to their Data Controller,ask for a signed copy of the application form,a signed copy of the agreement,and a signed copy of the PPI agreement,plus copies of all other data they hold concerning the account,advise them you do not require statements,it will save a large parcel in the post.SAR letter in CAG template file send with £10 PO and send recorded,they have 40 days to reply,send to address you have been dealing with,...FS

Rowan,

Two things, was your card originally with Citi or with Peoples Bank? The second is that the FOS have just come to an agreement with Citi over PPI payments taken out prior to 2001 so I would call the FOS, give them your reference no. and find out if anything has changed.

What they have agreed I don't know but could be worth asking about.

The reason I ask about Peoples Bank is that Citi bought a lot of accounts that started in 1998/99 and Peoples Bank was at the time regulated by the FOS.

Regards,

Bosun.

Please note: I have no formal qualifications in this area and any advice offered is given in good faith. :)

dear Bosun

the credit card was originally with The Associates, then citi cards. i spoke to the guy from fos today, and he told me they have been trying many cases concerning citi, and its come back the anything before 2001, they defo do not have any jurisdiction, they can try to look at the actual insurance company used at the time, but if it was Metlife or Cumberland, then they also have no jurisdiction with those 2 either.so im asking for info from them, and we'll see what turns up.

rowan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Rowan,

How are things going? Had a post by CitizenB the other day, part of which read: -

The reason the debt is assigned is immaterial. For instance, books of loans may be sold on to be collected as an asset rather than as a discounted debt.

In some instances, the debt collector may have purchased a debt but not have the relevant agreement. Whilst, in general, ‘liabilities’ cannot be assigned there must be a question mark over whether ‘duties’ are the same. This is important since there is a rule, expressed in Tito v Waddell (No 2) [1977] Ch 106 at 289 to 302, that where a benefit is conditional upon some burden, the assignee must also take the burden. An example is where the contractor has the right to mine on condition that they pay compensation to those disrupted by the mining. If they assign their right to mine, the assignee takes this right subject to the duty to pay compensation.

Therefore, there is a strong argument that under the Act, the right to payment is never absolute. It is always subject to duties (many of which are imposed under the Act). For instance, the right to enforce the credit agreement at all is subject to the duty to comply with section 77 or 78. This duty is not a ‘liability’ as such under the credit agreement but is a condition of the right to repayment.

May 2008

Susan Edwards

Head of Credit Investigations and Enforcement, Office of Fair Trading

Now I know this is to do with Debt Collectors and s77 & 78, etc, but I would also assume that it could quite reasonably apply to any company that bought/took over/was assigned an account to which was attached a benefit and that it was not unreasonable for it to be obligated to any liabilities.

I am awaiting, with baited breath 8-), for my reply from the FOS to which I will reply with the above, and also copy the OFT, if they reject my claim.

Regards,

Bosun.

Please note: I have no formal qualifications in this area and any advice offered is given in good faith. :)

• 4 weeks later...

hello

well citi cards have surpassed themselves ! i sent SAR,asking for all things firstship told me to ask for, but not invoices (as i have all back to 1989). i got back a letter '' thank you for your recent request for copies of the personal data under s 7 of the data protection act 1998 regarding your account ''.

please find enclosed

copies of the statements issed on the account - ( only back to 2004 though ???)

copies of correspondence received from you.

notes of manual intervention.

we have not provided you with copies of the terms and conditions as these fall outside the definition of personal data for the purposes of the data protection act 1998. similarly, s 7 (1) © only requires a data controller to provide a copy the information constituting any personal data, not the actual document on which the personal data is recorded; therefore we have supplied a copy of the information on the agreement / application.

Unfortunately, we have been unable to locate the application form for your client under the account number given.if your client knows of any previous account number they may have made the original agreement under we will be happy to search again for this infomation.

so , they've managed to send invoices i did'nt ask for ( though not all of them ), and they all have the account number on them, but they say they cannot find the application under my account number !!!! nothing else though that was asked for.

Can i ask where do i go from here ?

regards

rowan

Hi rowan,

Don't know offhand but hopefully Enron may be around with some advice.

Have to shoot off tonight but will get back to you over the w/e.

Regards,

Bosun.

Typical,dont ask for statements and they send them 6 years worth is the normal by most banks....so they state T&Cs and signed agreements fall outside of the data act,if you read the act it could be perhaps have that interpretation applied,Bloody Awkward comes to mind,so CCA them cost £1 they have 14 days to respond if not they are in default.Citi do not seem to be responding to your original request for PPI refund,is there any move onthis front????????or are they still no bothering to reply???????????????.........fs

hello firstship,

thanks for getting back to me.

i have had ( approx 4 months ago ) final letter from citi cards saying they will not be refunding any of the ' cardholder repayment protection ' ( ppi ) on the credit card account,

due to it been a postal application which they say i selected the product, and that no sales call took place & citi cards were not in a position to assess the ''best interests'' of their customers.

I replied with a letter stating i did'nt think their letter offered a satisfactory justification that the policy was sold to my fairly or justly,

and it is the seller who should check if the policy been sold is fit for purpose etc etc.

Their final letter just re-states that i selected the product, that no advise was given by them,

i.e - thay acted on my instructions to provide this product

( which as my application will have said 'self employed', was a waste of money unless i ceased trading to enable me to claim against it !!!!!!!!! )

and their decision is, they do not uphold my complaint,

and please go to the F.O.S if you wish, etc etc.

I've got to say i do not remember back in 1998 if i did or did not tick the ppi cover,

but i do know i will have put self employed,

so i sent everything to F.O.S, and thats where my threads on here start

- no joy to help me as they only from 2001. Any advice from her please ?

your reply earlier says cca them - this the next step ??

regards rowan

Is this not a case of You stated self employed they ignored this very important information and should have advised you that the PPI was not available to self employed customers,their mistake so refund is I think their only course,however CCA them amd ask for a copy of the signed agreement,T&CS and PPI agreement,should produce some information to back up your claim,they may try and state PPI not covered by 1974 CCA so add to your letter that you would also like a copy of the PPI and the T&CS for the PPI. as this is a dispute at the present time................all the best............FS

Edited by firstship
spelling

hello fs

thanks for getting back to me. im a little confused, and please don't think im daft, but im going to just ask ! i thought the way to get the signed agreement ( showing what i wrote / ticked ) was asked for in the last dealings ( S.A.R ), what is the difference of asking for this CCA ? and if they have already said they have not sent the terms and conditions as they fall out of the definition etc etc , why will they do it now??? ive tried to read up on all this legal bits, but my head is in bits now ! could you just talk me through why / the reasons this is the next step please?

rowan

666............The SAR should have produced account agreement account application form and PPI agreement,because they are being bloody awkward ,for the sake of a letter, and £1 PO, I suggested you CCA them to produce those agreements along with T&Cs,I am only suggesting you take this route to save letter ping pong over the SAR and their definitions of what data they should supply and what they should not,they have 12 days to respond to your CCA,it smells like they do not have agreements..................once all the doors are closed pursue the PPI refund................FS

fs - thanks for reply, okay so what your saying is even though those things should have come with SAR, doing this will mean they HAVE TO produce them ? and you say once doors closed pursue my ppi , can i still do this, as ive had their final letter saying they are not re-paying ? how can i make that happen ?

Read the Sticky.PPI Win in court................ignore their Final Letter...........make your claim again and head this your Final Letter use the details in the Sticky........threaten them with court action (before doing this be sure you are prepared to go ahead with your threat) and state should they not respond within 14 days you will take legal proceedings without further notice... success in this area is very high read other PPI threads............FS

• 2 months later...

hello again

sent SAR to Citi Cards in December of 2010, heard nothing, wrote 2nd letter to push them along in late dec, no answer. Today recieved a letter from Opus who have taken over all Citi Cards customer base, it reads -

we cannot fulfil your section 78 request, we have refunded the fee onto your Opus credit card account and advise that you are still liable for the balance.

We would like to remind you that a section 78 request does not entitle you to withhold your regular monthly payments.

For the reasons set out above i can confirm your complaint has now been closed.

If your not happy with my responce you can go to f.o s - info enclosed etc etc etc ....

And so the cirlce closes, as this is where i was at the start of all this, as i cannot go to f.o.s to act on my behalf as the complaint is before they came into force, so im at a loss now, anybody any ideas please ??

R.