Jump to content

Motor Insurance help


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4104 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi there, firstly I am new to this site, so I would like to start by saying Hello.........Helllo.


Right, my issue is with KGM motor insurance who I used via Lancaster brokers. I was with KGM for 4 years and left them at my renewal stage this year.


In April I was involved in my 1st ever accident, it was my fault but there were no damage to my car and very little to his (I freewheeled out of my drive into a parked car). We agreed that I would pay for any repair (if any cos there were nothing visible) out of my pocket and we wouldn't get the insurers involved.


He then went behind my back to his insurers, they then contacted me with an invoice to pay £350 to settle, because I was new to all this I said no and rang KGM for their expert advice, I was then told on the phone by one of their team "let us deal with it" when I said I didn't want to lose any no claims he replied "because it is such a low amount you will not lose any no claims and your premiums will go up by pence, if you do lose any it will be one year tops" This seemed better than paying the £350, so I did that, and let KGM deal with it.




When my renewal came through it had gone up by £1500!!!! When I rand to find out why they said i'd lost 3 years No Claims due to the accident !!!!


They refuse to believe I was given the above advice. I have been told by KGM that every phone call is recorded but they are refusing to trace my call.


Is there any laws around these calls ? Do they have to supply a copy to me on request ???


Many thanks in advance



Edited by poddy666
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Poddy and welcome.

I have just adapted a SAR template that I had and hopefully it will suit your purpose. Please read carefully and fill in or delete where necessary. I think you can find the ins comp data controller address on the information commissioners site (ICO) site. Good luck


‘Your name, address



The Data Controller

‘Ins company address



‘date xxxx’


Data Protection Act 1998 - Subject Access Request


Ins number xxxxx


Dear Sir or Madam


Please supply me with all of the personal data that you hold to which I am entitled under the Data Protection Act 1998.


In particular, I require complete transcripts of any and all telephone calls that you hold recordings or transcripts of, that involve or pertain to me.


In addition I require the following:


• Full copies or transcripts of any computer logs or database records kept in relation to me or in relation to my personal information.


• Copies of all documents which include any of my personal information including copies of any contracts or invoices, emails or computer records containing my personal information, or any records which pertain to this information.


• Additionally where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any member of your staff or any other person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my insurance business with you.


• Details of the identity of any individuals or organisations who have provided you with my personal information together with copies of any letters of instruction provided by them, or any contracts entered into between yourselves and the third party, and the relevant dates to which those contracts related.


• Full details and copies of any documents upon which you relied when you have provided my personal information to any individual, organisation or third party.



• Full copies of any correspondence in postal, email or any other format which you have entered into with any individual, organisation or third party which contains my personal information, or which pertains to me.


• Details of all systems you currently have in place to ensure my personal information is kept securely, including details of those officers who currently have control of same, and at the time it was held or provided to a third party.


• Where any previous information or records held have been deleted or disposed of, the methods used to do so, including dates, certificates or references confirming details of destruction. Where you are unable to provide such certificates, please provide a declaration, signed by an authorised officer of your company, confirming the dates and methods of destruction of this data.


• Full hard copy print outs of any of my personal information held in a digital, magnetic or any other format which is held in any archives, backups or other storage devices


If you are unable to supply data relating to manual intervention because there has been no such manual interventions then please confirm this in your response to my request.

I enclose the statutory maximum fee of 10 pounds. You have 40 days in which to comply. Thank you.


If there is specific information which you require in order to satisfy yourself as to my identity, please let me know by return. I have included a copy of my current passport/driving license. However, please note that the above address is the one which you normally use to communicate my private business to me and which you have hitherto found to be acceptable.


Yours faithfully,

Xxxxxxx (enc)

< < < < If I can help I will and if I have helped please tip my scales. :|

Please keep this site alive by downloading the great new CAG toolbar - keeps all your subscribed threads in one easy to use place. http://consumeractiongroup.co.uk/cag_plugin.php Use the search facility regularly and CAG generates much needed money!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would also pre empt any requests for proof of who you are by sending a copy of driving licence or passport with your letter.

< < < < If I can help I will and if I have helped please tip my scales. :|

Please keep this site alive by downloading the great new CAG toolbar - keeps all your subscribed threads in one easy to use place. http://consumeractiongroup.co.uk/cag_plugin.php Use the search facility regularly and CAG generates much needed money!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers mate, but i've already sent one off ! ha.


This is what I have sent -



KGM, KGM House | George Lane | London | E18 1RZ

To The Company Secretary/Head of Compliance/Data Protection manager.

Re: My Name - My Policy Number

I am writing to make a subject access request under the Data Protection Act 1998 for any personal information you hold about me.

I would like you to send me all kept information including data on microfiche, in archive, on tape, in a cardex system, in sound recordings and in screen notes, and any other recorded information, the right to disclosure is provided by the Data Protection Act.

I have included a cheque for £10 (The maximum you can charge for such request) If there is no fee, please return the cheque with the information.

I will look forward to receiving the information within 40 days. If you have any queries or questions then please contact me on –




Yours faithfully,


Would that be ok or should or should I send another with the ID and more details like the one above ??



Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...