Timewitch

Do Debts drop off credit record

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3598 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi Guys

I have a number of debts about 4 years old that seem to have gone very quiet.

I understand that after a debt is 6 years old you can no longer be chased for payment?

What happens at that point? Does it stay on your credit file as unpaid forever? Or will it drop off six years after the last payment was made against it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi,

You are referring to Statute Barred. This is where no payment has been made nor any acknowledgement of a deb is made in a period of 6 years (5 years in Scotland)

As for your credit file, once 6 years have passed from a default appearing, it will fall off

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Have just looked at my credit file with equifax and my 3 debts are still on my file 6years after the default dates, althought the dates were for the 5th and 6th of october 2004, i thought they would of dropped off instantly, have contacted equifax to tell them they should no longer be on my credit file, so will see what happens, as the dca's have put on last updated dates, when i haven't even contacted them.

if the default dates are as you say, then equifax will remove them. it may take a month or so and some chasing up, but they will do it.