FastHosts account not fit for purpose

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4945 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Oh boy...

So, I tried out a fasthosts hosting package. I use them as a domain registrar, so I already had an account with them. I'm starting a new website and their personal hosting package sounded suitable to get things up and going.

Well, it wasn't suitable - their tech support failed to get a web page with one single line of code (literally) working (and that line of code was very simple - if you're running the advertised version of .NET... which they didn't seem to be able to sort out).

So, I (foolishly) thought to myself - no problem, I'll just move to a more capable web host and cancel that account.... how wrong I was. So far they have just refused point blank to cancel the package... even though I've told them it wasn't suitable and their tech support has failed to resolve my problem.

I opened the account about a month ago now... I tried to cancel before a month. (and it was advertised as one month free)

Now, to my mind, that means that I shouldn't be charged... and the first person I spoke to at their closures team seemed to agree, but now they're claiming they can't close the account for another year!!?

So, any advice would be greatly appreciated... I've found other threads about people wanting to cancel for random reasons, but none wanting to cancel because the service provided isn't fit for purpose, so I'm a bit lost. (and angry...)

Does distance selling legislation apply? (see whatconsumer . co . uk) If so, I never a) got a cooling down notice and b) the service has yet to be delivered (as far as I'm concerned, and I did apply to them for support...) and I signed up for the package over 30 days ago - does that give me a legal right to cancel?

Many Thanks,

Nathan.

• 2 weeks later...

In regards to DSR as your mentioned the 7 days return starts from when the item is delivered to you or in your case when you started using the service. I need some clarification on the .NET part did they advertise as having .NET such and such running when in fact it wasn't? or wasn't set up correctly? If so if you have evidence of this you can reject the goods as you say they were miss advertised and not fit for purpose. Did you pay for just a month but they say the minimum is a year? If so as a gesture of goodwill to them I would say they can have the first month but not pay any more money. Do this in writing as it will be good evidence if they persue the money that you made a a fair offer to resolve the issue at the start.