Excessive deposit deduction

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4129 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey.

I moved out of my old house a few weeks ago and I've just had word from my estate agent about the deposit.

When we moved in there was a large dining table left behind (at our request) not on the inventory. We left this behind and now we're being charged for its removal. I wouldn't mind too much.. but the fee we're being charged is £90 plus vat so £105 in total.

This really doesn't seem fair. It was just held in place by 4 small bolts taking less than 10minutes to disassemble (we know the neighbours). The estate agent said it was so high because we're charged for the disassembly, removal and then for the skip that was used because the fee is proportional to the size of the item.

Well I really don't think this is fair. Does anyone know what would be considered reasonable? How should I go about challenging this? I know if I just call up saying that I think it's too much the agent will just say 'tough' so does anyone know what I can backup my argument with?

Thanks for reading.

They need to provide you with invoices for the cost incurred, although they are allowed to charge an amount for their time in doing it.

Specifically, I would be asking for an invoice for the skip.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

They need to provide you with invoices for the cost incurred, although they are allowed to charge an amount for their time in doing it.

Sounds like a good start, thanks!

I've had an invoice back, but its just an invoice from a builder that says "removal and disposal of one table £98 + vat" Can I challenge that?