• Tweets

• I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
    • Migrants are caught in China's manufacturing battles with the West, as Beijing tries to save its economy.View the full article
    • You could send an SAR to DCbl on the pretext that you are going for a breach of your GDPR . They should then send the purported letter of discontinuance which may show why it ended up in Gloucester and see if you can get your  costs back on the day. It obviously won't be much but  at least perhaps a small recompense for your wasted day. Not exactly wasted since you had a great win  albeit much sweeter if you had beat them in Court. But a win is a win so well done. We will miss you as it has been almost two years since you first started out on this mission. { I would n't be surprised if the wrong Court was down to DCBL}. I see you said "till the next time" but I am guessing you will be avoiding private patrolled car parks for a while.🙂
    • It is extremely disappointing that you haven't told us anything about the result of the hearing. You came here at the very last minute and the regulars - all unpaid volunteers - sweated blood trying to get an acceptable Witness Statement prepared in an extremely short time. The least you could have done is tell us how the hearing went, information invaluable for future users. Evidently not.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Need to strike off business, tax outstanding- Pls Help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4135 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Right. I have spoken to the inland Revenue again today, and they have confirmed that they will not be taking any legal action 'at the current time', but if my circumstances change, I should contact them to make payments. So basically they are just keeping the company open (even though it's a PLC) in case I managed to recover from being a single mother on benefit and have some unspecified sum to throw their way each month for an unspecified time. They wouldn't give me the name, number (great way to get people to call for payment) or department of the person who is dealing with this now, the reason behind the decision, or any time limits. They couldn't explain why I had been sent no letter of acknowledgement, or any letter telling me what my obligations are, what their decisions are, or what constitutes a change of circumstance, or why they are continuing to harass a single mother on benefit, suffering from depression, for money she clearly does not have. I think my blood pressure has gone up by about 20 points.

I am absolutely at my wit's end. They gave me a complaints address, but of course, it won't be dealt with by teh person who is now looking after the account, it will be dealt with by the call-taking department, and they will 'pass on' concerns if they feel they can't answer them. I told them I think it is completely inappropriate and unfair to keep me from speaking to the right dept, and that it is adding considerably to my stress, especially now it could be hanging over me for years. I also have legal obligations to close the company down, and I keep receiving letters from all departments of the HMRC and Companies House because the company still shows as live. I would also assume that it is earning interest all this time too.

Are they allowed to do this? It seems they are just blocking the strike off process and deliberately making themselves uncontactable. What do I do from here? I feel totally stuck, and I am so angry, I've done everything they asked me to.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you sent any letter like the one I sent - shown in a post above? This seems to be working for me now as HMRC have withdrawn their objection after I sent it. HMRC didn't tell me this - I found this out from Companies House - and am now having to wait a further 3 months before Co House will dissolve it - as they need to re-advertise again- so just a case of HMRC wasting more public money on a hopeless case situation!

I also understand Companies House themselves may dissolve a company if you simply don't file info about directors etc. or send in any further statutory accounts and refuse to pay the late filing penalties - but not sure f this will work in face of HMRC objections?

Hope this helps?

Good luck!

BD

Hi Bigdebtor,

yes and no. I explained I had no money, no assets, living on benefit, was suffering constant panic attacks due to the ongoing situation etc and asked that they view the situation 'sympathetically' (rather than try to direct them to a course of action, as advised by my VAT friend). I asked that they give me information as to how I resolve the situation and said I was available for contact. Naturally they have responded to none of this, have not contacted me, and have left the company in limbo. Companies house have told me categorically that they cannot intervene, but that HMRC will more than likely 'lose interest eventually', and I should just leave it.

I think I will have one last stab, and copy your more strongly worded letter, perhaps emphasising the health side again and complain about their lack of contact and deliberate unavailability. If they don't respond to that, I will take it to my MP, as I seem to be being treated differently to everyone else who has experience of this process.

If they think I'm personally liable, fine, make me liable, I still have nothing to give and striking off the company won't change my liability. If they don't think I am, they are deliberately blocking the legitimate strike off of a PLC that has failed, causing unwarranted stress to the director.

My VAT friend has said it is unacceptable for them to say they can't give me names and departments etc. I am going to talk to him at the weekend.

If anyone has any further suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I do not want this to hit me again in 8 years time when I have a mortgage and another child or something.

to be honest toddle2u, I am starting to come to the conclusion that if I do nothing, they will almost certainly get fed up at some point. If they are so relaxed about it that they can't even be bothered to write to me, they can't be pursuing it very heavily. the problem is I don't want them to pop up in a couple of years demanding money- what triggers them off for instance? Can they look at my bank accounts etc?. By taking their current course of action are they tacitly saying 'don't worry about it?'. What's the time limit on it, and is there a statute of limitation on the debt? I want to do a masters in a year or two to retrain as a psychotherapist and get off benefit, and I don't want to get my funding together to find it gets taken away by the Revenue. I did state in my letter that I was happy to discuss a final lump payment or a payment plan and they ahven't responded to that at all.

Do you know at what point CH strike the company off if you don't file records? I keep getting letters from the Revenue asking for PAYE and accounts to be filed etc- should ignore these? Can CH strike off a company that isn't filing if there is an objection against it?

I did try to write you a PM asking about some of this last night, but apparently your mailbox is full!

It won't be HMRC that strike the company off it will be Companies House for non filing of statutory accounts and Annual Return. CH are fairly hot on this these days and they apply fairly qucikly after non-compliance. So yes ignore the letters and they will apply for the strike off automatically. Unfortunately this could mean HMRC object again. My opinion is just ignore CH filing, ignore HMRC threats, do not offer to pay them anything (the company owes the money not you), do not pay them anything and just forget about it and get on with your life. They cannot come back to you demanding money in a few years time unless the company is formally liquidated and the liquidator files an adverse report to the DTI about your conduct as a Director which IMHO in this instance is very very unlikely. Even then HMRC would have to serve you with a personal liability notice which in itself is rare and difficult to prove.

Forget about it and move on.

Hi electra,

As your business is technically still in existance (I undrerstand), I would recommend joining the FSB (federation of small business) . They provide a fantastic service in all disputes involving HMRC and effectively stand between you and them, taking all the flack and handling HMRC. Worth a look....

Electra

As I understand it (but I could be wrong) the HMRC objection will stop CH striking your company off (NB - it is NOT a PLC - that's for the likes of M&S, RBS, BT etc.) - so just sitting back and ignoring everything in the hope CH will strike you off for non-filing of shuttle returns, annual accounts etc. won't get you anywhere (at least not fast).

I was advised I had to show I was being pro-active - and hence not negligent by default - which is why I wrote HMRC the letter - which seems to have worked even although HMRC did not have the courtesy to reply to me directly.

I would advise you do the same - send it recorded delivery - and insist on a reply within say 28 days - or follow up with a reminder after 28 days. They will get "fed up" more quickly if you give them more work to do. As public "servants" they did not "sign up" to do any more work than absolutely necessary - with job security, flexitime, generous sick and maternity leave, early retirement and inflation proof pensions their main objectives (way ahead of serving the public!) - so show them that withdrawing their objection is an easier course (and a quicker way to a long tea break) than not withdrawing it.

Hope this helps?

BD

PS - If this offends any public servant who is reading it during my (i.e. working) time - then don't waste your (our?) time protesting - as I'll just take a leaf out of the Public Sector hand book and ignore your protest, justified or otherwise.

I would advise you do the same - send it recorded delivery - and insist on a reply within say 28 days - or follow up with a reminder after 28 days. They will get "fed up" more quickly if you give them more work to do. As public "servants" they did not "sign up" to do any more work than absolutely necessary - with job security, flexitime, generous sick and maternitylink3.gif leave, early retirement and inflation proof pensions their main objectives (way ahead of serving the public!) - so show them that withdrawing their objection is an easier course (and a quicker way to a long tea break) than not withdrawing it.

This paragrapgh, more than any other I have seen on CAG pretty much sums up everything that is wrong with the UK although I would add that my wife is a teacher. She works 12 hours a day minimum, runs school clubs and goes way beyond the bounds of her contract in terms of commitment (And she will not be striking next Wed). I have been trying to get her to quit teaching and come to work in my business where she would add immense value because her efforts at the moment are wasted by the parasites that make up the bulk of the public sector.

Yes... overwhelm the HMRC with a few letters, it might just make them crumble lol:roll:

Thanks for the advice all. If I did write a letter, what would be the best way to word it so that I get them to withdraw their objection, but don't provoke their wrath or get them chasing me again? I'm rather surprised that their repsonse to being told the company was defunct and I am now living on benefit as a single parent and suffering from long term depression was to object again tbh. I'm not sure what I can add to that. I think what they have done is 'waive' the debt, which means they leave it open to come back and chase you for the money again in the future. It does seem to me that they are not being professional or ethical in the slightest.

I'm not sure this is the place for a debate about public servants, but both my parents were civil servants, my dad died in service and my mum is now an NHS manager for an ambulance trust. I know first hand the long hours they put in, going above and beyond duty on many occasions, how conscientious they were (and their colleagues), and how poorly they are treated. When my dad died, his pension vanished- my mum did not get a penny that he had paid in for the last 30 odd years. My mum, after 17 years of service for the NHS (and that means going in in emergencies, going in on Christmas Day, New year's Eve, walking miles in teh snow to get to work, staying on long after the contracted hours when there is a problem) , is having her department ripped apart and decimated, and she is being forced to either accept a job two hours drive away, or no redundancy. Having worked in government myself, and having lots of friends in public service I think most public servants are motivated and decent people. Of course you get the odd deadweight, but show me any company where that isn't true. Most public servants are as frustrated by the system as everyone else, and often powerless to change it. I think that is partially the result of having a political set up that allows short-term politics to flourish, and therefore many cyclical and damaging changes to our institutions, a surfeit of bureaucracy that stems from government, the EU and various other interested bodies, and an ever-widening remit to fix the ills of society. So I don't think it's down to public servants being lazy at all. If they were, this country wouldn't even function, it's a lack of will at the top to change things, and stop engaging in short-termism.

Of course the Revenue are all Satan's minions (apart from my friend, who is great!)

*gets off soapbox*

Electra

I would do a letter along the lines of the one I sent (in an earlier thread).

BTW I accept that many (indeed most) professionals in teaching, NHS etc. are hard working and serve us well.

My venom is really aimed at the pen pushers who have never experienced the stress of customers not paying bills, banks cutting overdraft limits and imposing huge unfair penalty charges etc.

The way HMRC reacts to any business closing which owes them money confirms my view that these people are not in the real world!

Good luck!

BD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, another update for you. After the fiasco above, I just totally lost patience and decided that if they want the money they'll come looking for it. I spoke to my tax inspector friend again, and he said what they'll have done is decided that it's more than their job's worth to write the debt off completely, so they have waived it temporarily. he told me that after 4 years they have no right to chase it any more. He advised me not to poke the sleeping dragon basically, as he said that even though it's frustrating, in a little over two years they will no longer be able to pursue it, and if they do come knocking in the meantime, it is still a PLC and I am not liable until they present me with a personality liability order. He says they won't do this because the cost of an investigation will outweigh the amount they can retrieve, and I'm unlikely to have the money anyway.

So indirectly, and it the most abysmal, incompetent, and frankly stressful way possible, it looks like they've more or less let me off the hook. The letters have certainly stopped, and I feel like I couldn't have done any more to try and sort this out. I've offered to try and make payments, but if they won't even tell me who I can usefully communicate with, that is their failing. Even my tax friend was stunned at how it's been handled.

Oh well, Happy Christmas everyone, and I hope you all resolve your issues with the nightmare that is our tax system. :)

• 5 months later...

Hi Toddle2u

I've got into a mess with my limited company. I hired an accountant for £1,500 (recommended by a friend). Needless to say I couldn't really afford an accountant but had to because I was making a mess handling it myself.

Companies house rang me to say they were going to start criminal proceedings for late accounts. I've chased my accountant and he's not returning my messages. Today Companies House rang me, they were very understanding about my rubbish accountant. They said if I filled in a form to dissolve my company they will not chase me for my accounts, I won't be fined and no criminal proceedings. This had been a relief.

I now need to know once dissolved can HMRC chase me for VAT (around £10,000 owed) and Corporation tax. I haven't filed corp tax yet but I had an arrangement to pay Vat back that I can't afford to keep to anymore. I think i payed back £3000. Once I am dissolved do I still pay this and still file my Cirporation Tax? Is there a difference between dissolved and struck off?

I am the only employee of my company my only asset is my little laptop.

Please help, I've made a mess of everything trying to do it myself, so stressed and irritable and my accountant is MIA(!) I can't believe he was referred to me by someone I know. I'm paying his fee in installments. I think I'm going to stop after this - but he has my paperwork:(

now need to know once dissolved can HMRC chase me for VAT (around £10,000 owed) and Corporation tax.

No it's the Ltd Co debt not yours. They can only do this if you have been found beguilty of wrongful trading or trading whilst insolvent. Only an Insolvency Pracitioner can instigate these proceedings and as it is unlikely that an IP is going to be appointed you can't be done for this. There are other instances but they are not relevant here.

I haven't filed corp tax yet

Don't file them and don't get accountant to do any more work. You could try asking for your money back - you never know I doubt it but it's worth asking.

I had an arrangement to pay Vat back that I can't afford to keep to anymore.

Don't pay anymore. Just ring them tell them you've ceased to trade and the company has no assets and you intend to apply for a strike off. Also put this in writing to them and any other creditors

Once I am dissolved do I still pay this and still file my Cirporation Tax? Is there a difference between dissolved and struck off?

No and no

I'm paying his fee in installments

Don;t pay him another penny. It's a waste of money as you don't need to file accounts and he sounds useless

but he has my paperworksad.gif

Ask for it back

now need to know once dissolved can HMRC chase me for VAT (around £10,000 owed) and Corporation tax.

No it's the Ltd Co debt not yours. They can only do this if you have been found beguilty of wrongful trading or trading whilst insolvent. Only an Insolvency Pracitioner can instigate these proceedings and as it is unlikely that an IP is going to be appointed you can't be done for this. There are other instances but they are not relevant here.

Don't file them and don't get accountant to do any more work. You could try asking for your money back - you never know I doubt it but it's worth asking.

Don't pay anymore. Just ring them tell them you've ceased to trade and the company has no assets and you intend to apply for a strike off. Also put this in writing to them and any other creditors

No and no

Don;t pay him another penny. It's a waste of money as you don't need to file accounts and he sounds useless

Ask for it back

No and no

Ask for it back

Toddle2u you are brilliant, bless you for being here. I didnt believe in forums but youve given 100x better advise than accountants who are paid thousands not just today to me but reading your earlier posts you've helped others too. It is a MASSIVE relieg. Thank you!

I will ring them and put it in writing.

The worst mIstake I made was using my business account like my personal account - I regularly paid bills and rent from this account. Will this mean the IP will get involved?

I'm turning to PAYE after this - less money but more :) hopefully. Thanks again. Keep helping others:)

Edited by Sushv8

Toddle2u you are brilliant, bless you for being here. I didnt believe in forums but youve given 100x better advise than accountants who are paid thousands not just today to me but reading your earlier posts you've helped others too. It is a MASSIVE relieg. Thank you!

I will ring them and put it in writing.

The worst mIstake I made was using my business account like my personal account - I regularly paid bills and rent from this account. Will this mean the IP will get involved?

I'm turning to PAYE after this - less money but more :) hopefully. Thanks again. Keep helping others:)

If the strike off application goes through there will be no IP involved

Complete the DS01 form which you can get off the companies house website send it off with a cheque for £10. If HMRC object to the strike off let us know

• 2 months later...

Hi

I opened a limited company in Dec 2009 purely to do extra locum work as a doctor along with my normal NHS PAYE job. I used an accountant to do this. Snce then I have kept up to date with payments for PAYE and corporation tax. I am up to date up until the tax year April 2011.

Since August 2011 I decided to take a year out of my NHS PAYE job and locum full time for 1 year (till August 2012) therefore being paid via my limited company. I have since then probably made over 60k. Now, I have been paying the PAYE bills that HMRC keep sending me and the filing for corporation tax has not yet been filed by my accountant but I think it will be filed this October. I am not going to be able to afford the corporation tax as I have been using my business account like a savings account and the money I have saved I have transferred to other accounts as I am getting married next year and i will be using that money to pay for my wedding. I am now back in my PAYE NHS job and do the odd locum shifts but not to the extent of what I did last year.

What do I do about my this tax issue? Is there any way of avoiding this tax or pay the minimum?Do I ask my accountant to file the corporation tax stuff? I will not be able to afford it if he does. Is there going to be problem when HMRC see I've been using my business account as a personal account (paying bills, eating out etc.)? To be honest this has not been explained by my accountant and so i carried on the way I am. shall I file for wounding the company up even though it's still active?

My limited company is registered at my home address- is my home at risk along with my car etc?

Just wanted some heads up before I file my Ltd company tax, just been scared with all these situations on the forum.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Speechless4u

Speechless4, you might want to get a mod to create your own thread for you : you've posted on someone else's existing thread.

Have you been working as a Locum Consultant?.

If not, I'm concerned that a Limited Company wasn't a good way forward : it's hard to be "an Independent Practitioner" at less senior grades, where you might have been better on pure PAYE from the Locum agency(cies), to avoid the issues of IR35 and "disguised employment"

In what form have you been moving money from the business? Expenses? Dividend? Salary? Other?

You mention PAYE : If you've (with your Director's hat on) have paid yourself salary, and the company has paid employer's NI and PAYE, and your employee's NI has been deducted too : there should be no further sum owing for this.

These sums can come out of the business lawfully, and would reduce corporation tax liability as they would reduce any company profit.

Expenses : dining out MIGHT be a legitimate expense.

Were these "necessary business meals"? "Subsistence" (while working away from your home base)?

Incurred whilst travelling to/from your work base while working away from home?.

Dividend? This would be "funded" from profits, and attract both corporation tax for the company and personal tax for you, but not PAYE nor NI.

If the company would have made say, 50k profit on 60k income there would be £10.5k corporation tax at 21%.

If you took the remaining 39.5k as dividend, you'd have a further £9.5k tax to pay (but as personal, not company tax).

Other: where you may be on shakier ground is other payments from the company (e.g. Personal bills)

These could be viewed as an "unlawful dividend" if you've taken them from the company if they aren't legitimate expenses, and they've left the company insolvent / unable to meet its tax liability.

If they were to fund legitimate expenses they'd be fine : not only can the company pay them direct, they lower the company's profit and thus it's corporation tax liability.

Have you asked your accountant if you are claiming all your allowable expenses?

Allowable portion of : GMC fee? MDU/MPS fee? BMA/Trades Union sub?, Royal College membership fee?(Unless you are claiming these on your personal tax : you can't claim them twice!)

Travel to/from work base away from home? Subsistence while working away from home?

Do you run your companies office from home? Do you then claim the companies contribution towards utilities costs?

I'd never encourage tax evasion, nor using the company to pay personal bills. However, you should ensure you are claiming any and all allowable expenses : talk to your accountant to see if things are as bad as you fear!

Edited by BazzaS

I'm just updating this to let anyone that's interested know that finally this year, HMRC stopped objecting to strike off. I have no idea why, they didn't communicate with me about it at all. I only found out because I rang up for the umpteenth time to ask them to stop sending reminders to file accounts etc as the company was no longer trading. I explained that they were the ones not letting me strike it off and therefore keeping teh process open. The lady said that they were no longer objecting, so I rang companies house, and completely out of the blue they said that they had proposed strike off again 3 months ago, and it was due to go through in two weeks. I got a letter confirming the company has been dissolved as of 14th August!

To say I am relieved is an understatement. It's drawn a line under a very painful chapter of my life, and it means I don't have to worry about what *might* happen all teh time.

If I have any advice to give to anyone in similar circumstances it is this: Get yourself a good accountant who is local to you and who you can visit in person, and make sure they are interested in giving you good advice and help, and not just taking a monthly fee and sending you reminder emails. Secondly, When you speak to HMRC, no matter how scared you are, do it promptly, get it out of the way, and make sure you get the Name of the person you speak to, teh dept they are in, and make notes of EVERYTHING they say. Keep records of anything you post to them, including post office tracking receipts.

Good luck to everyone else still trying to sort their companies out.