• Tweets

• Well, perhaps pointing that out in the first place was a tad sarcastic, so, I generally reply to sarcasm with sarcasm.    Bottom line is, the reason distance sales open more avenues for a consumerrights etc is because people get duped by dodgy traders rather frequently.       I believe your own first response was, good luck with the 12 months extension, which is already in my favour, so a bit more savvy in knowing what you're talking about before you responded would maybe have prevented me from pointing out that yes, I do indeed have the 12 months extension. 
    • "Is it just that? Oh I thought it was because of all the effort he and others made to rightly bring DCBL to court. But he just got lucky there I suppose   "All the effort put in"? You mean there was some kind of entrapment? Surely not.
    • Annoying as it is, people can order food delivery, eat it, and claim a refund, so how can you persuade them that isn't the case here? how are you going to show that in your case you didn't eat the food as it was so bad?   Did you contact the takeaway (at the time) as well as Just Eat, and tell them the food wasn't to standard?? If so, what did they say?.   In a restaurant the diner has the ability to leave the poor food, and bring it to the attention of the serving staff. Not an option in the case of a delivery (except if you take it back to the provider, which negates the point of delivery, but does make it plain there is a major quality issue).   I doubt you'll get the whole £27 back, and how much effort do you want to put in, for the expectation of how much refund?.   £27 (at most!)?. Leave them a poor review, don't order from them again, and move on..........    
    • Yes, quite distinct difference Scotlands first minister does seem to quite clearly demonstrate she understands the reasons, the personal situations and have real sympathy in stark contrast to Johnson the Liar and Handcock   and I note MP's are still getting away with breaking rules when they should be both leading by, and punished as examples   https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/dups-sammy-wilson-caught-on-camera-without-face-mask-on-public-transport-39559186.html   Despite clearly being shown sat reading something, with more reading matter readily available, Wilson claims he only 'momentarily took his mask off to answer a telephone call and 'denied witness claims he did not wear a mask for the entirety of his tube journey from Westminster to Heathrow   Wilson has repeatedly railed against face masks 'muzzles' and declared himself being reported as “like East Germany under the Stasi”       https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/dups-sammy-wilson-caught-on-camera-without-face-mask-on-public-transport-39559186.html   Interesting that honourable MP's and even some advisors have resigned for less.. Nicola Sturgeons' for example.
  • Our picks

• @curryspcworld @TeamKnowhowUK - Samsung 75 8K TV - completely broken by Currys. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426151-samsung-75-8k-tv-completely-broken-by-currys/&do=findComment&comment=5069075
      • 6 replies
    • @skinnyfoodco Skinny Foods. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426130-skinny-foods/&do=findComment&comment=5068996
      • 8 replies
    • I’m in desperate need of help

I bought some clothes online in may through Evans and paid through PayPal
      returned them all seven days later

I waited the 14days for my refund and no refund came
      I put in a dispute through PayPal but I didn’t get any emails to escalate the case - PayPal closed it. 
      evans said they couldn’t refund the money because PayPal have cancelled the refund because of the open dispute

I contacted PayPal
      they said the dispute had been closed but Evans at no point had attempted a refund.
      fast forward to today

I’ve got copies of numerous messages sent to and from twitter messages as it’s the only way I can contact them
      I’ve also contacted their customer service too
      all I get is PayPal have cancelled refund because dispute is still open.

I have proved that the dispute is closed
      I have got an email saying that if Evans sent the refund they would accept it
      but up until the date I got the email they have not once attempted a refund .

I have sent them a letter before court email
      I have even offered to have the full refund as a gift card just to get this sorted !

I’m literally at the end of my tether and don’t know where to turn next !

i suffer with mental health issues and this is affecting my health and I’d saved the money for a year to buy these clothes as I’m on a low income .
    • In desperate need of help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/425244-in-desperate-need-of-help/&do=findComment&comment=5067040
      • 29 replies

Incapacity Benefit & deductions

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3568 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi guys

I've been a member for a while and was helped out with some debt a while back - looking for a bit of advice again!

It isn't for me but a relative.

Basically he has been paying back £8.55 per week from Incapacity Benefit due to an overpayment which went to court who found in DWP favour.

He has had a letter saying his deductions are to increase to £36 p/week...can they do this?

Thanks in advance

M

When deductions are made directly from benefit, the discretion lies with DWP as to how much they deduct, though there are statutory maximums in some circumtances; the court cannot intervene in deductions from benefits unless a law is being broken.

If this is going to cause him hardship, what he needs to do is write to (or phone) the department within DWP that he owes money to, and ask them to "reschedule" (lower or defer) the repayments. They will send him a form to complete about commitments he has, so that they can calculate whether or not they would be able to reduce the repayments in view of his other commitments. If he rings up, they may complete the form over the phone with him, but very few contact centres do this now. Alternatively he can write to them without completing the form, explaining how this is going to cause him hardship. If they need more information to come to a decision, they'll get in touch.

He'll need to attach his national insurance number to any correpondance to enable them to locate his case and save any delay in dealing with his request.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

It depends what the overpayment is.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

It depends what the overpayment is.

The overpayment is of Incapacity Benefit as his partner was working whilst on a partner on the benefit claim, it went to court and he was convicted of benefit fraud.

I just thought it was odd that the repayments could increase to £36 from £8.55 per week.

For fraud there are specified rates where it is an income related benefit, but IB isn't an income related benefit and there aren't any legislative limits so the rate is decided by the SoS. The maximum deduction set for this is a third of his benefit. He can still ask for rescheduling.

Thanks Erika, that was a question that has been doing he rounds of my family for a year or so. A family member was convicted of benefit fraud in 1987 for £3500 (unemployment benefit). He went to prison for 6 months and has had to repay the money. Only in the past year or so they have caught up with him and are taking a third of his DLA &ESA(CB). We all thought he deserves what has happened but were surprised that they are collecting that much every week. Now we all know. Personally I'm not telling him the rest - that he can ask for the deductions to be reduced!!

• 2 months later...

Just an update on this. The family member contacted the Debt Recovery dept for the DWP and offered them £5 pw instead of the £60 they have been taking.

They have refused citing the fact that they are entitled to 1/3 of his current benefits. He argued hardship but they came back and said that what he is left with (approx £120) is more than what he would be getting on basic Income Support/ESA.

So it seems that they wont budge - and they went on to say that when he retires they will take another 1/3 of that!!

There's a moral to that story...

...don't commit fraud (!) It has the side effect of coming back to bite, no matter how many years may have passed.