jimlufc2000

Car Insurance possibly invalid

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3598 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

My car was parked in town over night on Friday night, and was smashed into by someone in a stolen car. They've done a runner and not been found! I put a claim in with my insurance company Zurich on Saturday morning. When going through all my details this morning I think I have made a MASSIVE error in my policy...missed 3 points. I have 6 in total but think I have only put 3 of them on my policy. This was a genuine error by me and not done to defraud the insurance company...although i'm sure that's what everyone says. Both 3 points were issued in October 2008. Now that I have a claim in, is it too late for me to ring up the insurance company and come clean? I can't just leave it cos I have to send them my driving and they are obviously on that! I can't actually find anything that says how many points I have claimed for...and it wasn't until I found my driving licence that I realised my potential error! Does anyone have any suggestions? I really am panicing as we use the car to take out daughter to school 5 miles away!!

I'd just wait and see if they notice tbh

I QUESTION THEREFORE I AM!! [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unfortunately i'm not an expert in any given field legally and my advice and that of the Consumer Action Group and the Bank Action Group is given without prejudice and without liability so please if in any doubt whatsoever seek help from an insured qualified professional. Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions and not condoned or endorsed in any way, shape or form by CAG. Thank you! :p

I have been smoke-free for 4yrs

I have to send them a copy of my driving licence...how would they not notice?!!

Should I just ring them tomorrow morning and tell them of my error...or wait it out!!! I really am sh*tting myself that I could loose my car and my money here!!!

I'm not sure how that website could help me with this problem!

Well they could possibly invalidate your insurance as you obtained it without correctly notifying them of the risk. If you find yourself in that position you could perhaps claim through MIB as the vehicle to blame was an uninsured vehicle.

I would've thought they would be more likely to invalidate if the accident was your fault but it wasnt.

Just wait and see what happens dont jump in :wink:

Unfortunately i'm not an expert in any given field legally and my advice and that of the Consumer Action Group and the Bank Action Group is given without prejudice and without liability so please if in any doubt whatsoever seek help from an insured qualified professional. Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions and not condoned or endorsed in any way, shape or form by CAG. Thank you! :p

God!!!! Really don't know what to do. I really am stressing over this. As soon as I realised I was on the phone to the insurance company straight away...but thankfully they were closed!!! Really don't know what to do!!! They think I have 3 points...my licence say I have 6...I have to send them my licence....insurance companies don't like paying out.....not good!

Honestly you're not doing yourself any favours by stressing out!

So calm down, and do nothing!

If they get hold of you querying the extra 3 points just tell them as far as you know you told them about them and see what they say

Right.....i'll have a whiskey and chill out!!! Cheers guys! Claim ignorant seems to be my best option so far!!!

Just send the copy licence in as requested and say nothing about point issues. Wait for them to contact you about it and sound shocked about the details on the policy being wrong. ...... I am sure gave the details correctly, sorry if they are not on there......

They should hopefully just take it as a genuine error and charge you the relevant extra premium.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

So blanking out the extra points on my licence when I scan it is not an option then!!!!! :wink:

That moves from a genuine mistake to something quite different, they probably are aware that folk might do that, so if they carry out a random check, will that put you in a better position - nope It's best to see what happens.

So blanking out the extra points on my licence when I scan it is not an option then!!!!! :wink:

It had crossed my mind doing it during my panicing last night.....but thankfully the 2 hours sleep i've manage has made me see sense!!!!

How would they check it though? I was told they don't have access to the DVLA records? I'm not gonna do it...it's more me wondering how.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/data/auto.aspx

Insurance companies use information from DVLA to trace parties involved in road traffic accidents. This helps resolve insurance claims and reduce insurance fraud which, in turn, helps control the costs of insurance premiums

You'd think there would be a system where by insurance companies have this data to hand when people apply for insurance. Surely this would help stop fraud or errors.

One day all cars will have intelligent black boxes, as soon as anything happens to your car, that data gets transmitted to your insures in a split second. The technology is there to do that know, but the cost would be huge.

Well...what a panic over nothing that was!!!! I had declared my points after all!! Thank god for that!!!!

There you are then! :wink: