tsukaza

Parcel force VAT and fee

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3600 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all, i got stung for a parcel force fee which has yet to be delivered, however i am sure it will be about 43.50 thanks to the 13.50 fee on top for paying the vat customs on my behalf, which by the way i would have gladly payed online myself. anyway today i take a stand in my life and i am going to refuse to pay the admin fee (not the VAT):mad2:

of course i have proof on the postal acts 2000 that what parcelforce is doing is illegal. so my question is can i take this company to a small claims court, as so many others have done before me (and win because PF never turn up, EVER)

thanks everyone.

Can you point to where you have 'proof' of any illegality? Last time I looked, a commercial business as permitted to charge for additional services. Sure, you can take anyone to the Small Claims Court, for which you;ll have to pay for. If you lose, they defender will also chase you for their (capped) costs. It may end up costing you more.

To avoid this, use your own importation agent if you don't want to pay their fees.

There is no law preventing any carrier from charging you an adminstration fee for customs clearance into the UK. All carriers will charge it - the terms and conditions of the carrier's service will have stated that there may be fee's if custom clearance is completed at the point of destination - and if they so choose as to not pay it, then the fee (and import taxes) are the responsibility of the receiver.

There are always posts about this and I do agree that it's unfair. Many people pay the HMRC taxes, but omit the admin fee - you can do this at your own risk, but legally speaking as long as you pay the taxes, your duty towards the importation of the item is complete - paying their admin fee is another story. Many people do not pay and never hear back - whilst I do not condone this, I'm simply pointing out what others have done in the past (check google out).

Lived through bankruptcy to tell the tale! Worked in various industries and studied law at university. All advice is given in good faith only :)

Here is the result of my challenge against PF, one week before the case was due to be heard.

http://www.leons-world.com/img/RoyalMail.jpg

The situation accepted by all parties here (off the record) is that the import regulations are badly written due to VAT law not recognising non VAT registered persons regarding imports. But the Parcel Packets Reg's are being re-written next year so should make things a bit clearer.

If you want to take this issue to court then be sure to have a tidy list of claims ready that are based on legal fact, not the issue of fairness etc so do your homework.

But, the avenue of requesting to pay HMRC directly for your parcel could be investigated. Of course they dont want that to happen because they cant give you a VAT certificate because you are not VAT registered (presumably).

Chris

Regarding your second paragraph.

Why on earth should 'VAT Law' have to take any account of the effect on 'non VAT registered persons'? The whole point of VAT is that it is paid by the end user/final and ultimate purchaser, who (usually) will be this status. Therefore, if a party IS VAT registered, they reclaim, if not - they don't. This has been the basis of the VAT procedure since it replaced Purchase Tax.

I agree there are imperfections within VAT, but if your argument is that non-taxible people shouldn't pay it at all - then whilst I privately agree that would be a great idea - there would be little point in having VAT in nobody paid it.

Like I have said before, VAT works in normal goods trade but not for imports where there is no VAT registered person to collect the tax. PF charged me VAT and did not provide me with a VAT certificate for the goods so how do I prove that the VAT has been paid on the parcel I receive? All they give is an invoice stating 'this is not a VAT invoice' which is not correct in VAT law.

VAT simply does not fit the game when it comes to personal imports. There either needs to be a new section in the VAT act specifying that non registered persons are liable to pay VAT on imports or a new tax model is designed specifically for personal imports.

You can pay your import VAT all day long but I will get my money refunded until there is a modification to the law and regulations.

Chris

The 'This is not a VAT invoice' is a later aberration, supposedly introduced to prevent fraud - one would assume by NOT disclosing VAT numbers, but I cannot be sure.

I took Dolphin Bathrooms to court for NOT providing an oft requested VAT invoice - and won, despite them protesting I had 'no right' to one. This was prior to a possible change where non-VAT registered customers would request a VAT invoice (with the VAT broken out) simply by asking for one. WE not have a situation where the computers are set to spew out 'Not a VAT invoice' automatically.

However, to your original point. When importing, there are multiple taxes, and these vary deending on the tariff being used to calculate it, but this only concerns the importation tax, NOT the VAT. So if you imported 100 widgets into the UK, there would be duty & vat, then the importers fees for the service of clearance, AND VAT on that element. I'm not clear if the rules have changed on how this should be presented to the buyer, whether it is permissible for the duty to be shown, then the clearance service fee, with VAT applied on the total amount. As RM probably deal with occasional (rather than trade) importers, they would most likely NOT be providing tax invoices, whereas a an importation agent would be doing this for all his VAT-registered customers, who would reclaim the VAT element as their input tax, and when sold the final selling price would attract VAT at the current rate as their ouput tax

With this in mind, there is nothing unusual about how VAT is currently charged, nor any debate - so your angst seems misdirected.

I have never paid VAT in my entire life and if you are not a business then neither have you. I am not starting to pay it now just because someone is holding my parcel to randsom. Tesco's pay VAT when I go shopping there but I do not. We simply pay an inflated sum to cover their obligation to pay VAT because they are VAT registered and wont let me buy anything unless I pay their inflated sum that includes 'their VAT'.

What this really boils down to is the commercial standing of a person and their liability in commerce, but nobody really likes to talk about that.

Chris

If an invoice has been generated by PF for the VAT, then PF have obviously paid it and satisfied any requirement by HMRC - they are now asking for that (plus the admin fee) as they have already paid it. Many many large carriers do this, on the basis that people will pay if they want their items.

Perhaps we are going slightly off thread here...the rules surround VAT are severely flawed, the way that companies operate who deal with importation are also none the wiser - even HMRC aren't sure what they are talking about half the time.

My personal opinion is that we should enjoy tax free shopping - if we pay to get it shipped over, and it's not illegal etc, then we should be allowed to do so without the government whipping us for more money simply because we bought it cheaply.

Lived through bankruptcy to tell the tale! Worked in various industries and studied law at university. All advice is given in good faith only :)

I have never paid VAT in my entire life and if you are not a business then neither have you.

Oh dear.

If you think you don't pay VAT, not only are you mistaken, but show your argument as being ill-conceived and your grasp of taxation minimal. VAT ischarged on practically everything. For you to think that it is only businesses that pay it is contrary to what actually happens. Businesses DON'T pay it. They reclaim it, but individuals cannot, which is why the Treasury loves it so much.

CERTAIN items are VAT exempt. Newspapers, Books, food, and children's clothes are good examples. Eveything else has the tax added. Your gas & electric is charged at 5% VAT, as is your insurance policy. Everything else is at 17.5% (and is going up to 20% on 7/1/11. Your BB and Phone bills which have VAT included will rise by 2.5% in January, that Colour TV in Coment, that PC in Maplins, everything will increase in price because VAT IS GOING UP.... and YOU cannot avoid paying it.

Now I am begining to realise how mass taxation is possible