iwished

Barclays "Right to Offset"

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3607 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

barclays have used there right to offset and taken £200 from my account but the thing is i had no money in this account only an overdraft facility, are they allowed to do this?:x

They have been very sneaky as i sent a letter to my branch to close the account then 6 days after i sent the letter they took the £200 out from the overdraft facility. :x

When i complained, they said when a branch receives a request to close account ,the requests are automatically forwarded to our processing centre to action, the payment had left your account before the request was actioned.:x

Hi Iwished,

Did they take the money to pay a BC a/c, or something else.

This is a slightly grey area but, to my knowledge, they are only allowed to take "funds" to Set Off against another debt, eg arrears on a BC a/c.

What was the agreed o/d limit and was the balance still within that limit after the £200 Set Off.

You should complain in writing to Barclays about this, explaining that they have no authority to take money when there was no credit balance on the a/c.

If they fail to reverse the transaction within 7 days, I'd make an urgent complaint to the FOS about this - http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumer/complaints.htm

Keep the complaint brief at this stage.

If it was taken to Set Off against a BC debt, is the BC a/c in dispute for any reason.

8-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Update

i sent barclays another letter that i was not happy as they had inappropriatley used the bank "rights to offset" and was awaiting their reply, so while waiting i thought i,d ask peoples opinions.

Todays post i have received a letter and they are now refunding the £200 and the interest and closing the account.

thanks for your reply slick132. it was set off against a loan. all sorted now :-)

Well, that's a result and I'm glad it's been sorted for you.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)