Very Scared

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4956 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have been really stupid and wondered if you can provide me with any advice. My story as is follows :

I have debts of around £27000 and started an informal agreement with Spectrum Financial Protection based in Keighley Yorks 5 years ago. I have been paying a nominal sum to each of my creditors for that time. I was advised at the time of entering into this arrangement that had to pay the company £233 for a period of three months to enable them to set up the arrangement which I duly paid. I was then advised to save as much as I could each month and that I would be able to cash in my endowment at the end of the period of five years and with my savings and cashing in of my endowment policy I would be able to use this to make a Full and Final Settlement payment.

Unfortunately I have not been able to save a lot each month but have managed to save around £5,000 and I have contacted my endowment policy company who have told me that instead of having around £11k to cash in that I would only receive around £4k due to the economic crisis. My original endowment policy was for £34.5k and is now valued at £14.6k.

I know that this will not be enough to pay off all of the debts.

I am scared to call the company in question as I do not know what will happen, yes I am a bit of a coward and I havent told anyone about this. I know I am not helping myself.

Any advice would be gratefully received as I am going out of my mind with worry (all my own fault).

Thanks

Hi Blueda

Yes Spectrum is a Debt mgt company. I entered into the agreement not knowing much, it sounded like a good idea at the time. I have done some sums tonight and I feel alot better, I have called the endowment company and have been give another surrender value of £8k, was mis informed the last time I called (!!) and with my savings I can afford to pay my creditors 50%, do you know if they will accept this ? I am going to call Spectrum tomorrow regarding the F & F payments and see how the land lies. If the creditors do not accept this then I think I am stuffed. Thanks

From your post it looks like Spectrum have not done much for you, a debt management company should take payments from you and arrange and make payments to your creditors and hold surplus funds excluding their monthly administration fees towards making settlement with your creditors. Sometimes a creditor will accept a reduced payment as full and final payment. I advise you to not hurry to a decision with your endowment and get advice from this site, as i am sure a member of site team will be along to advise.

Have asked to see if there is anyone around that is knowledgeable with endowments.

But your DMP woul have been making payments towrds your debts as well?

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

I am not sure if the following BBC report will help in anyway.

Were you advised that there would be a shortfall on your endowment ? If you had a specific amount you were saving for and it failed to reach that amount then it might just be possible you were mis sold the policy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/1887292.stm

Could be worth looking into.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D