Barclays putting me in a poverty trap

swordmaiden
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4930 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am so depressed. Up to a few months ago I did not owe any money to anyone.Now, because I accidentally got a few pounds overdrawn on my current account, I got a £22 bank charge which put me even more overdrawn. Now, a couple of months down the line, not having anymore income than my salary (I live alone) I am ridiculously overdrawn due to these ongoing charges. I dread the postman coming with another letter (£22 a time). I live very frugally, don't smoke or drink, no holidays, no spending sprees, living on tinned soup to keep costs down; still the letters come, still I don't know what to do!

Banks have caused an economic crisis running into billions, I am just tryint o keep my head above water but am slowly drowning. I feel the bank is forcing me into an impossible corner from which I cannot get out. Can anyone advise me?

Open an account with the Halifax and get your salary or income transferred to that and then leave the Barclays account alone - the charges on charges scenario is crazy...

If you can check that you are getting all the benefits you are entitled to - use Entitledto.com to check -

Write a letter to the bank stating that you are using the 'right of approbation' to enable you to pay your essential bills and living expences - use the online Income and Expenditure form on National Debtline or CCCS

Make sure your priority debts are covered.

Instead of tinned soups try getting a large bag of frozen veg from Iceland or somewhere and make your own soups.... much cheaper and more nutritious. You would be surprised at the amount of salt and other chemicals in tinned soups.

If I were you I would tell Barclays where to stick their £500 overdraft, please tell them you don't need it.

DO NOT TELL THEM you are opening another bank account, the Halifax account can be opened online without a credit check and you get a card in a few days.

Get your wages or other income paid into the new account and sit back and let Barclays shoot themselves in the feet over their stupid fees.

Once you have the Halifax account up and running then you can claim back any charges Barclays have levied over the last 6 years... plus interest at 8%.

Barclays are making a fool of your money and you would be making a bad mistake to take the overdraft if the original overdraft was caused by their fees... sorry to sound so harsh but that is what the cause of this is.

Please check up on whether you are entitled to any benefits or tax credits, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Hi SwordMaiden and welcome to CAG.

I agree with most of what SG has said above. Barclays offer of the o/d facility may help you avoid getting more bank charges for a while but they're doing it for their benefit as well as yours.

Open a new a/c as suggested, and then you'll have the time and opportunity to consider what to do with Barclays and their charges.

You will only be able to claim back the bank charges if you can show you were suffering Financial Hardship at the time they were incurred.

Look in the Bank Templates library for the Article on Hardship.

8-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

I hate Barclays. I have just opened a parachute account, am waiting for all of my paperwork to come through then I will start getting this overdraft from Barclays DOWN.

Barclays stuffed me good and proper this month. Their chargers took me into my reserve again, so I will be charged on their chargers grrrrr,I have had enough of them taking my money. They get you into a vicious circle that you find very hard to get out of, they have been doing this to me for years. I am taking the bulls by the horns now though and instead of burying my head in the sand I am fighting back with the help of these great people on this site.

You are not alone Swordmaiden, there is loads of us out there that Barclays haver trapped into fees upon fees situation.

Good luck