Jump to content
  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • Hi all,  just wondering if i could get some help. me and my ex wife decided to get a loan back in 2017....i was continuing paying it but she didn't even though she promised me she would pay it as i agreed to it... and we split up in 2018, i was sectioned under mental health due to her behaviour.  short story... i came out 6 months later and she did not pay anything, my inbox was full, my phone with voicemails. i was not expecting this..... this loan was for £2000,    i tried to call her obviously she changed her phone number and email address, 2020 still not heard anything from her.... sent her letters she choose to ignore it.....   so i thought i come on here.... see you can make a complaint about responsible lending credit search.... behold just got a reply from progressive money....   i've also complained to amigo loans.... that is again she didn't pay anything... checked credit karma £11,876 on £7000 loans... hopefully something comes out of this....  - Summary Resolution Letter .pdf
    • Sorry it was 1250l before shielding he 
    • Is the 1250BR his code from before shielding?   Before shielding, the tax code would have been 1250 as this is the personal amount allowed to earn before tax. It should then have been followed by a single letter. The BR at the end means it is an emergency tax code, and that you receive no PFA, this is usual if you have more than one source of income.  This code means that all the earnings from this income will be taxed.   The 605T code is a temporary code, and shows that your tax is still being reviewed.   The changes in codes is due to the change in circumstances, firstly he was in work, then claiming UC while shielding (unpaid I assume), and then going back to work again.   They should sort themselves out, but you can always sign up to HMRC and keep an eye on the codes yourselves, and query anything with them as well.
    • Do as above, and we can find out if it's an enforceable agreement, often it isn't from Lowell.   But from another point of view, as long as they have your current address, why pay them if you only have £30 at the end of each month? It's not visible on your credit file, so won't affect your credit score in any way. This is in no way a priority debt.    
    • PwC has secured a deal that will save 1,800 UK jobs and a further 3,600 globally at Travelex, following an appointment as administrators View the full article
  • Our picks

    • Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.
      I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.
      I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.
      No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.
      The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.
      They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.
      They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.
      I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?
      Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies

Am I responsible for ex-husbands utility debts?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3599 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts


I am new here so hope I am posting in the right place!

The thing is, my husband and I have separated. We were living in a local authority (council) flat with our 1 year old daughter. He was the tennant not me. He has moved out and I have just been allowed to take up tennancy in the property since he has left and signed it over to me.

What I would like to know is, I have since found out that he is in debt with the electric, the water and the council tax. The council tax bill is in joint names but is this allowed if I was not actually a tennant? Also, if I ring these other companies (water and electric) to get them transferred into my name, does the debt transfer too?

Water and electric are in my husbands name and council tax is joint. Any help would be great, thanks.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you were not living in the property you should not be liable for any debt left by the previous occupant, related or not. If you know where your ex-husband is living you could notify his creditors and they can persue him there.


However, if you were living there (even if not as a registered tenant) then I think I am right in saying you are liable, after all, you lived there, you used the gas, electricity and water so you have to pay for it. You could still pass on his new address and they could then persue him for half the debt.


Regarding the council tax, it doesn't matter whether or not you were a registered tenant, you were living there so unfortunately you have to pay the tax.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Generally with joint bills they can try to get the money from either / both - genrally they will go for the easiest / most vulnerable


With bills in a single name (not yours), I don't believe that you are liable.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The council tax bill is in joint names but is this allowed if I was not actually a tenant?


cant comment on the other bills but you will be held jointly responsible for the council tax

the council will send out bailiffs to your home

DON'T let them in no matter what they say they will threaten you with police entry to your property with a locksmith arrest jail none of it true bailiffs collecting council tax debt have no legal right of entry to your home KEEP THEM OUT do not open the door to them it wont be first time a bailiff has put his foot in door or pushed passed someone to gain entry if you have a car move it well away from the house


If you are on benefits ask the council to take direct payments (there is a template letter on here for this but i cant access them at the moment for some reson) do everything in writing when corresponding with the council/bailiffs by e-mail and recorded delivery letter if you do have problems with the bailiff post in bailiff forum on here and you will receive plenty help


as long as they don't gain a levy on your goods you will be OK and this will keep bailiff fees at £42.50 for 2 visits

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

As I said earlier, if the utility company can prove you lived at the address during the time of the unpaid bills, I believe they can persue you for the debt, certainly half of it. And rightly so, you used the electric and the gas and it isn't free.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Most utility companies will work in the same way as the council; on a basis of joint and several liability.


All persons named on the account are liable for payment and the supplier will pursue whoever they can contact.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...