evertonmad

Driving without a licence

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3597 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Had a driving disqualification, which has now over with, sent my application for a license to the dvla on recorded delivery, said it would get there next day by 1pm. Anyway i went two days after it was sent thinking that i was fine to drive, under section 88 or something, that you can drive if dvla have received your license. I stupidly never checked, as thought they would have it. Car had tax, mot, insurance.

I was pulled over by the police on a spot check, and they checked my details which showed the ban, and expired license, got onto the dvla who confirmed my application hadn't arrived. Car got towed, and i had to get somebody insured on the car to go pick it up, cost me 150 quid to get it back, and a whole day sorting out, running back and forward police station.

Got my car back, now im waiting to see what the court will send? anybody know of the punishment/fine etc that may occur for driving without a license??

Feel stupid that the difference from getting caught and not getting caught could of been them opening a letter, but obviously only self to blame

I have now spoke to dvla who confirmed they have recieved my application. The detail in the matter is a VALID APPLICATION, if the application isnt yet processed it isn't VALID, your not covered to drive. So the info below is a bit misleading and has caused me to make a big mistake.

Just wondered if anybody knows what i may be facing, scared i may get banned.

((Once DVLA has received your valid application you can drive before you receive your licence as long as you:

have held a GB or Northern Ireland licence issued since 1 January 1976 or another exchangeable licence

aren’t disqualified from driving (there are different rules for medium or large vehicles, minibus or bus drivers - the traffic commissioner for your area will decide whether to grant your entitlement to drive these vehicles)

haven’t been refused a licence for medical reasons or for failing to comply with medical enquiries

wouldn’t be refused a licence for medical reasons (if in doubt, check with your doctor)

keep to any special conditions which apply to the licence))

I suspect the whole range of penalties are available to the court from disqualification and points to fines. You do however have quite good mitigation and correctly presented might persuade a court to go the lighter route than the heavier one. I would start getting the paperwork in order re dates to prove what you are saying is the truth and not trying to hoodwink the court.

One thing that comes to mind though is that an insurance policy is normally only valid if the driver has a valid driving licence so that may raise its head too. What did you tell the insurance company about your disqualification when getting the insurance? Did you declare it?

I had a few different problems, and current pluck the courage up to tell my mum. The insurance is in her name, and im the second driver on it, so i never told the insurance company. The policeman said he was going to give me a 60 pound stop fine, but couldnt as i cant show my licence at a police station within 7 days, with it most likely not arriving, so said ill have to wait for a letter off the court and just plead guilty, if neccesary

It does sound like if that did occur ie it only is the D/L matter you would be getting off lightly. The problem is if they now check with your insurance company and find out that you and your mother have not declared the disqualification. It is a criminal offence to obtain a policy of insurance and fail to tell the insurance company about previous convictions / disqualifications. You may have just dropped your Mum in it. The point being that the premium would most definitely have been much higher than it was in fact or you may not have been insured by that company at all.

shooting from the hip on this one

you sent the application to dvla by recorded delivery

(do you now have a date received by track and trace)

the date and time you sent it will be on the receipt given by the post office

its not your fault dvla left it in there post room, but need date dvla signed for it

INTERPETATIONS ACT PEOPLE ???

It does sound like if that did occur ie it only is the D/L matter you would be getting off lightly. The problem is if they now check with your insurance company and find out that you and your mother have not declared the disqualification. It is a criminal offence to obtain a policy of insurance and fail to tell the insurance company about previous convictions / disqualifications. You may have just dropped your Mum in it. The point being that the premium would most definitely have been much higher than it was in fact or you may not have been insured by that company at all.

do you think the insurance company will take up regarding this? they have sent a letter out to say ring us within 7 days as a matter or urgency or your policy will be cancelled.

do you think the insurance company will take up regarding this? they have sent a letter out to say ring us within 7 days as a matter or urgency or your policy will be cancelled.

You don't have any choice do you? If the policy is going to be cancelled if you don't call, I suggest you find out what has happened. I also agree with postggj that you enquire at the DVLA.

Let us know how you get on.

You don't have any choice do you? If the policy is going to be cancelled if you don't call, I suggest you find out what has happened. I also agree with postggj that you enquire at the DVLA.

Let us know how you get on.

the policy only has 2 and half months left, but i dunno whether i should just let them cancel it and hope nothing comes of it. Then start a fresh insurance, with everything clean. Got myself in loads of sh*t through struggling with money

You would have to make a fresh declaration to the new insurance company or you will be back at square one, good luck with the case.

regards

Please remember our troops, fighting and dying in our name. God protect them.