Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • Looking for a bit of assistance. I moved into a rented flat on 20th April 2024. I viewed it on the 14th April. Before I moved into the flat, the letting agency provided me with an offer sheet, in said offer sheet I made a number of requests and conditions related to me progressing with assuming the tenancy. These were: 1. A professional clean of the flat prior to move in date. 2. The hob, shower glass and bathroom cabinet be replaced prior to move in date. These were all planned actions by the landlord when I viewed it. I could see the boxes for the hob and other items in the flat. I prepared to move in on the 20th April but none of the work mentioned in the offer sheet had been completed. The standard of the clean was abysmal - mouldy food left in the fridge, nothing wiped down, bathroom mouldy etc. The hob, shower glass and bathroom cabinet were also not installed. I decided to not officially move into the flat as it was not in a condition as promised, my partner lives relatively close by so I lived with her initially. It was only on the 24th April that the hob, shower glass and bathroom cabinet were installed. The cleaners visited again 2 weeks after move in date (3rd April) and attempted another clean of the flat. Again, it was a poor job. I resorted to cleaning the flat myself. I have numerous pictures of the things I identified during my clean and have sent this all to the letting agency. Because of the issues faced, I asked the letting agency that the rent be reduced for the initial month. Exactly halved - to represent the 2 weeks that I was not living at the property. The landlord and letting agency have responded by saying that they will be willing to accept 1 weeks rent as a deduction but not 2. My question is, am I in a strong position to insist on the 2 weeks rent returned or have I been fortunate that they have even offered a weeks rent as a deduction? I would like to insist on the 2 weeks. I have paid the 2 weeks only as my rent collection date passed 2 days ago. Thank you for any assistance. Any further relevant details required let me know and I will provide.
    • clarks are just like the rest of 'em. couldn't careless, your advantage here is it's not legally your car, the finance co. should be bought into play . as i think BF eluded too , or has in other threads, if dealer/finance co. dont sort it between themselves FOC to you, another option is to get it fixed then bill both for it, if they refuse, then a court claim is very simple and cheap option to recoup your losses. see where it goes. just musing. dx
    • Thanks for that. Much appreciated. I would have assumed they would have had contacts to do such work as well. I think it's just the general rubbish attitude from Arnold Clark as the amount of times the General Manager of the place was rude or kept referring to "it would have to come out of my margin" to fix issues. Like it was my fault. Oh well - Won't be buying anything from them again.
  • Our picks

    • If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

      On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

      Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

      The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

      I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

      Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

      Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

      The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

      Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

      One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

      Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

      We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

      It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.


      OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
        • Like

Question re debt and starting DCA to buy ones debt back.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4964 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hey guys I have a quick question re debt.


Most of the debts I have are with DCA's I was wandering something could one start their own DCA and offer to buy the debt back of the debt collection agencies to wipe out the bad debt and any default linked to the debt? If so how would one go about buying back their debt of a dca what would they need to do to start a dca? The reason I ask is a lot of people I know have problems with DCA's and I wandered if one could start up a dca to buy their own debts and debts of their friend and simply wipe them out by winding up the company. Would the credit reference agency transfer the information in to the newly created Debt collection agency or would it stay in the name of the old one? I just thought it would be interesting to see if it could be done?

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Before being able to operate as a collection agency for the collection of consumer debts (private individuals) a Consumer Credit Licence from the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) is required. The application pack can be obtained from the OFT enquiry number 0207 211 8000.



Registration will be required under the Data Protection Act 1998; contact the Information Commissioners Office.


Public Liability Insurance is required for your office premises and ideally, to cover you for unforeseen professional mishaps, Professional Indemnity Insurance. Your insurance broker will advise you.



It can take upto 3 years to get a good start in the business and you will need a good business plan for those 3 years incase you require external funding.


A business bank account is needed and good and effective banking facilities should be negotiated.


It will be helpful to work with a firm of accountants to advise you on tax matters and prepare annual accountsfor your business. If you do not already have an accountant look in your yellow pages for local firms and visit some of them to discuss your start up business and get quotes for work needed; or you may have a friend who is already working with an accountant that may suit you as well.



In due course it will be necessary to work with a firm of competent solicitors to take debts through the court stages. Currently agencies themselves may not sue direct on behalf of clients nor may they employ an in-house solicitor to do so. Most likely you will want to have discussions with a number of firms to assess their services and obtain quotes for working with them.



Agency owners should be aware of legislation which includes the:


Data Protection Act


Insolvency Act 1986


Administration of Justice Act 1970 - section 55


Consumer Protection Act 1987


Debt Collection Guidance by the Office of Fair Trading


The laws regarding harassment must be observed and the threat or use of violence to the debtor or their family is illegal


http://www.csa-uk.com/media/editor/file/Factsheet.pdf for more information.

Edited by dundeelaw
formatting issue
Link to post
Share on other sites

i suppose in theory its possible, but what a slog! i recently received a letter from a dca saying i could "buy back" my debt. obviously i politely declined, although i wonder if it would be possible to buy it back and then remove the default. dca would need to have small print stating they retain ownership of crf data, otherwise i'd say "buy back" is misleading and worthy of a complaint.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Not really, A DCA has no ability to amend your credit file, that remains with the original debtor. So they can sell it on to A, B ,C & D, but none of the remainders can do anything to amend your file as you never game them permission to do so in the first place. Only the original creditor asked and probably got the right. So whilst what you say is theoretically possible, wiping your credit file is not.

Link to post
Share on other sites

buzby, if this is the case, then how do some dcas enter a second concurrent default? lowell did this with me for two accounts while the oc defaults were already on file. dcas have the power to remove, they just choose to be very very difficult. i believe when the account is sold to a dca under property law, the right to make crf entries is also inherited.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You would have to have agreed to this as part of your original agreement with the first company. They cannot do this simply because they claim ownership of the debt. Further it is illegal for two defaults to exist for the SAME debt. In both these cases, a complaint to the CRA should result in a speedy removal. If this fails, then a complaint to the ICO will resolve the issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites

if the right to report isn't transferred with ownership of the account, then why have the ico or courts never ruled on this?


i'm afraid to say there is nothing speedy with the cras. despite sending proof that two defaults are for the same account, they still insist on contacting the oc and dca, and only if there isn't a response within 28 days or the oc or dca confirms it is a duplicate will they remove one of them. the ico are far too slow. 10 months after lodging my complaint, it still hasn't been assigned to a caseworker.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How can they 'rule' on something that isn't relevant? It is the Consumer who MUST waive their right to privacy (by allowing their data to be shared). Each case must be treated on its own individual merits, however, as the consumer must EXPLICITY agree to the use of their data, it remains within their control to accept or deny the use to which their data is used.


For example, if no request to share is made at the time of the original agreement (or a subsequent request that is not rejected), then no sharing can take place. The most common is that such disclosure is required by the outfit the agreement is with, although never stated as such, the trend is that these firms are foregoing their right to pursue Consumers through the courts, preferring the less risky tactic of selling on the debt to a third party. Whilst there is nothing to prevent them doing so (this is commerce, after all) the abilty to report to a CRA regarding the debt is not.


This can only happen if the Consumer has entered into an arrangement where thewy have (in effect) agreed to their data being shared by the original firm, AND any other firms who takes on the administration of the debt. When this happens, then the only protection is that the markers (for the same debt) must not be duplicated - if effect making it looks as though the consumer has defaulted on two different arrangements.


The ICO is the final arbiter for a free reversal. You can if you wish force the issue by taking the errant firm to Court. This cannot be done through MoneyClaim, but an action demanding a course of action be complied with. By calling on them to offer evidence of your explicit agreement for your financial dealings with them to be shared or reported. If they cannot show this, or in default of any defence (the mst usual course of action), the judgement is then used to instruct CRAs to remove the erroneous data, whilst you pursue the DCA for your costs. I've done this three times and it has worked a charm each and every time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You only get 'case law' when it reaches the High Court - all these actions are at County/Sheriff Court level - but it isn't rocket science. If the Data Subject has not given permission for data sharing, then they cannot. All the evidence I needed was a printout showng that they had.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...