• Tweets

• All sounds a bit desperate SWIM - I was in a similar position a few years ago. No chance unfortunately, all a bit "Judge Judy" TV understanding of how the UK law works. If there's no children involved and there's no contract then it's basically bad luck to your relative, and to think otherwise is to spend your life on an internet forum trying to hear comforting words.  
    • My job I've been in for 8 years, my contract is to give a week's notice.   I have 10 days holiday coming up starting next week. If I message the boss 3 days into that holiday and tell him I'm not coming back can it be used as 7 days notice (ie a week). I have a lot of holiday entitlement left this year about 70 hours.   So 2 questions please without judgement just facts:   1. If I phone boss three days into my 10 day holiday next week to formally tell him I'm quitting is that legal? 2. Can they get out of paying me my 70hrs holiday entitlement if I take that route?   (Massive global company not one man and his dog operation, if it affects the advice)  
    • Hi everyone. We purchased a new bed from dreams 26/12/2017 which was delivered 01/02/2018.  We also purchased their delivery, assembly, take the old one away, tv, mattress, mattress protector, pillows and their 'bed cover' 8 years extended warranty.  We paid by 30 monthly interest free instalments and so just made the final payment.   It is a heavy duty king size lift up storage bed with a built in tv at the end.  It has always been a struggle to lift, my wife cannot do it on her own and it rarely stays up by itself.   At the beginning of this year, we noticed it had started to dip considerably in the middle.  Not the mattress, but the wooden base the mattress is on.  So on 09/02/2020 I emailed them about the issue.  They started by saying the mattress is not covered only the base, until I pointed out it is the base at fault not the mattress.  So they sent out Homeserve on the 25/02/2020 to come and repair.  He did what he called a temporary repair, said that the bed had failed due to a manufacturing or design fault (the metal bolts holding the wooden base to the lift up supports have pulled out of the wood) and that dreams would be in touch to arrange a replacement.  His temporary repair barely lasted a day, the bed was still dipping and he took plenty of photos for himself but seemed in a mad rush to leave.   Of course they didn't contact us, so on 30/03/2020 I emailed them back.  01/04/2020 they emailed back confirming in writing that it is a manufacturing fault and their sales team would contact me, however as expected due to Covid-19 this may take a while.   30/06/2020 I asked for an update.  03/07/2020 they replied saying their claims department would contact me within 5 working days.  They didn't. 15/07/2020 I emailed back asking them to escalate my complaint as well as providing a refund and compensation as we are now struggling to sleep and experiencing back ache due to the bed's extreme dipping, plus I am worried about the mattress getting damaged. 23/07/2020 They replied saying we are not entitled to a refund as it is a guarantee claim and they have passed it once again this time to their guarantee company to contact us. I have still not heard back.   This is now getting beyond a joke and I wanted some guidance on how I should proceed.  We are struggling to sleep in the bed and cannot now even open the bed to access our belongings inside as as soon as you try and lift you hear the sound of breaking wood.   Many thanks  
    • bit obv really... don't eat yellow snow either.   dx  
    • I know you are trivialising this as, 'Ambulance Chasing Lawyers', because they are perceived to be involved. You mention BMW (other brands as well). Counterfeit car and truck parts have been implicated, and proven to be the cause, of accidents where fatalities have occurred.   There is some considerable difference between a set of counterfeit brake pads and a fake SD Card.   The trademark infringement though, is the same.   H
  • Our picks

• Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies
major debtor 2010

Fairfax Solicitors & Barclaycard

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3551 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Have received the attached letter from Fairfax Solicitors in respect of a debt due to Barclaycard.

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af343/majordebtor/Debtor/scanneddocument001-2.jpg

Have previously sent off all the relevant letters requesting CCA etc, etc, this has already been running since May 2010.

Does anyone think it is worth phoning them? am very anxious about doing that, as have tried to keep all communication in writing.

In summary they are in default as haven't supplied CCA

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

Guest Cartaphilus

I wouldn't phone them, it appears to be the usual threat letter to get you to do just that. Variations on a theme. It may be a good idea to send Fairfax the appropriate letter, reminding them that until you have received - and, whilst we all know it goes on, BC shouldn't have passed it to a DCA anyway, but they amongst others appear to do this once in receipt of such requests ie shove it into the hands of a DCA once a CCA has been requested - what you requested you are not obliged to enter into communication with them.

Guest Cartaphilus

I believe it's the 'bemused' letter in the template library you will require. I may be wrong. Either way, the account remains in dispute until your CCA or any reply is provided. Barclaycard are known for being 'difficult' with anything regarding credit agreements. It may even be a sign, as it's been passed to Fairfax, no CCA exits but until you can establish this as I said you aren't obliged nor can they demand anything of you.

If they are offering discount its more than likely unenforceable

Don't waste your time talking to them on the phone, send the appropriate letters as previously suggested.

You could also contact B/C and ask why they passed a disputed account on to Fairfax

Guest Cartaphilus

Incidentally but exact same thing you've had today, not Fairfax, but Robinson Way (whom I note have toned down their usual threat letters recently/lately, even sounding 'polite' to the extent I am thinking 'is this the same ones who wrote a while ago because they sound almost friendly' but I won't be fooled ... because give them time, when I don't respond I imagine those will quickly revert to 'old school' template letters) ....sent me a letter today like yours, offering a discount and to 'take advantage' of it ... They don't have a CCA, and I know they don't. Not to avoid anything, of course, but had they like most creditors or DCAs been reasonable from the start, accepted your situation ... Well, you can see?

I received two letters today, one from Fairfax threatening legal action over a Barclaycard, and one from Max Recovery, same address, same everything, demanding the same £5500. The debt dates back to last August.

A few points here. 1. I have never had a barclaycard. 2. I have been living outside the Uk for the past 10 years so when I did try to get a barclaycard they said no, as I had not stayed in my apartment long enough in the UK. 3. I have only been living in this address since January.

So I explain this and the woman at the end of the line asks me my DOB, I tell her and she says that matches. She asks for my previous address and I do not tell her and iterate point 3. that I have only been living here this year so how did a debt from another year come here.

She then apologised, asked if lived in Sunderland, I said no, she asked if I had before, I said now, and she said it was a faulty trace and hung up.

Something is dodgy here, I am concerned and may well involved the ombudsman because I am concern that Fairfax and several of these so called "solicitors" who are really debt collectors who have bought bad debts in bulk, are screwing up my and everyone else's credit scores by looking for the name of the debt holder and, as soon as they get a match send letters, without checking if it is the right person.

I have a common name. But all of this stinks.

Guest Cartaphilus

Well, you'd be far better starting your own thread ... It will get more replies for starters, because this thread is for the person who started it.

Yes, there certainly is something dodgy going on here, and you said it yourself. Least of all the odd questions you said they've asked you; personally, I would have either put the phone down or asked them why they wanted to know questions relating to data protection issues being asked by some total stranger calling. So, here is what you will need to do, as by your own words this doesn't appear to be your debt:

General debt letter - if you know nothing of the debt...

A letter used when a debt collection agency contacts you about an unknown debt.

Name/Address:

Date:

Dear Sir/Madam

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the CPUTR 2008 and the Office of Fair Trading's Guidance on debt collection, which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. AND in not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to Trading Standards and also inform the Office Of Fair Trading of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Send that by recorded delivery DO NOT SIGN IT, print your name to Fairfax. Though, when you have started your own thread it would be helpful to provide more details ie what kind of letters you've had from Max Recovery and also the latest from Fairfax. Though, unless I have somehow misunderstood you, this debt doesn't appear to be yours so that letter should suffice for now. When they've replied with something, then let us know here and more experienced people here will be able to help you.