Connaught - shocking Tactics

TimeToStandUp

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4128 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just had my wife phone me up panicking.. City Link delivered a letter which she had to sign for, and she opened it and said we been served... Once I calmed her down she realised that it was not a court document but made to look like one.

Even more shocking is this is for a debt that was in 2001 !!!!

Any advice what I shold do now ?

Post up the letter here.

Let us have all the info on the ''debt''

and I am sure you will get good advice.

remove all identifiers & bar code.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Sounds like it may be a statutory demand, which actually IS a document you need to take seriously. Get the stuff posted and you’ll get lots of help.

Have you had any correspondence about this debt at all from Connaught? When was any acknowledgment last made of the debt, and what was the amount outstanding? It sounds like it should be statute-barred. Can you explain what you mean by ‘account closed’? Was any balance left outstanding?

“The industry is rotten to the core, whether it is in-house recovery and collection, or where agents are used, or where the debt has been sold.” Andrew Mackinley MP, House of Commons, 22 April 2009

If a Cagger helps you, click their star. Better still, make a donation however small, so that CAG can continue to help others.

Any chance you can scan and post this misive up on here later when you get home, first things first though you need to be making formal complaints to the OFT & TS via http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/contact

"an intelligent approach to debt collection "

Really! Also report their for their very very questionable working practices to the CSA who they are members of and have clearly misinterpreted their own guidelines.http://www.csaconsumers-uk.com/page/i-have-a-complaint

This is the piece of legislation you should be quoting, http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/27/section/1

1 Offence of sending letters etc. with intent to cause distress or anxiety. E+W

(1)Any person who sends to another person—

(a)a [F1letter, electronic communication or article of any description] which conveys—

(i)a message which is indecent or grossly offensive;

(ii)a threat; or

(iii)information which is false and known or believed to be false by the sender; or

(b)any [F2article or electronic communication] which is, in whole or part, of an indecent or grossly offensive nature,

is guilty of an offence if his purpose, or one of his purposes, in sending it is that it should, so far as falling within paragraph (a) or (b) above, cause distress or anxiety to the recipient or to any other person to whom he intends that it or its contents or nature should be communicated.

Flagrant abusive breach of OFT DC Guidelines. You MUST make a complaint, every one will force them to act sooner or later, I would be sending a copy to my local MP too.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Sound like they’re as desperate as their namesake builder that went t*ts up!

“The industry is rotten to the core, whether it is in-house recovery and collection, or where agents are used, or where the debt has been sold.” Andrew Mackinley MP, House of Commons, 22 April 2009

If a Cagger helps you, click their star. Better still, make a donation however small, so that CAG can continue to help others.

It does really sound like an Statutory Demand. If you have kept all of your paper and there has been a period of 6 years (5 in Scotland) when no payments or acknowledgements have been made, then the debt is SB. If this occurred prior to 2007 request for CCA then it cannot be 'un' SB'd. This will be a complete Defence.

Every journey begins with a single step :):)

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area - my advice is learned from the wonderful members of this Forum. Thanks to you all for your help.

If you have found my post helpful please leave a short message by clicking the star to the left of my profile - Thank You

The only person entitled to your Personal Finance details is a Judge not a DCA

Move all banking activity to another banking group if you have a dispute - your funds can be used to offset debts within the same group.

Be careful with Banking details (card/account numbers) as these can be used to take unauthorised payments.

I don't believe for a single second that this is a lawful 'document' And it most defo wont be any where near enforceable in court,,,,

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Come on TTSU, don’t keep us guessing! Was it an SD?

Come on TTSU, don’t keep us guessing! Was it an SD?

See who can 'knock one up' first in the time it takes the OP to get back to us and put us out of our misery!!!:typing:

Sorry, away the weekend, yes it was meant to be a SD, but no legal stamps or nothing... however the day before they sent us a normal letter giving us 7 days to contact them before they issue a SD... the whole thing seems crazy, and they really lost the plot, giving me so much rope, so to speak.

Hi there

Nothing surprises me with the bottomless pit of FILTH and SLIME that goes under the name of "Debt Collection".

First of all a SD has to have a specific date by which money has to be paid -- it CANNOT say 'Payment Must be received within xxx days".

The period is 14 days from the date of the demand so even if it were an SD it's likely to be 100% invalid in any case.

Secondly your debt is more than likely to be Statute Barred -- you can easily check via an SAR demand to the original creditor.

Sometimes DCA's will get sneaky and add "fees" to a debt for example they might say -- charge for non payment last year on the accoount 5 GBP.

Apart from the questionable legitimacy of this itself THIS DOES NOT COUUNT AS A PAYMENT TO THE ACCOUNT IN DEBT AND CANNOT RESET THE STATUTE BARRED CLOCK AGAIN.

Incidentally start looking around soon for "Official Debt Collectors for the 2012 Olympic Games."

Connaught IMO wouldn't even qualify as "The Official Bottom for the 2012 games".

DON'T get frightened by these bullies --this whole rotten stinking industry is powerede by lies, deception, bullying and just plain scare tactics. Once you realize they are just a load of low life pondscum who make even sewer rats seem desirable then you can deal with them and send them on their way.

Cheers

jimbo

An SD does not need any legal stamps. You need to respond to this! You have 18 days from the date of issue.

Can you tell us more about the content of this supposed SD? Please don’t assume it’s not valid – it may well be.

ANYONE can issue an SD! Please take it seriously and let us guide you through the process of getting it set aside. You may well even be able to claim for costs against CONnaught if you get the SD set aside ;)

"To love unconditionally is the greatest gift, laughter is a close second" .To give your time to help others after being helped here is the best way to show your appreciation to your fellow CAG members.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Seek the advice of an insured qualified professional if you have any doubts. All my knowledge has been gained here, for which I'm very grateful. I'm a Journalist, not a law professional.

If you do PM, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private ;)

BB 13 - DCAs/banks and solicitors 0.

I get a fresh start to get on with learning to live with severe disabilities when they could have had something if they'd been understanding...

<--- If you feel I've helped, please twinkle my star :)

Guest HeftyHippo

timetostandup, if you want proper advice, post up the document so people can see what it is and offer an opinion if it it genuine or not. There isnt much point in people guessing what it might be. If it is genuine, the clock is running. 3 days have gone and you don't even know if it genuine, let alone what you have to do with it. Add another couple since it was issued, and you're a third of the way into the allowed time already

Sorry, bloody scanner at work wont work, so done it at work this morning...

Just to recap.. timeline

1) I did get one of these many years ago (2007) again signed by D Silcock

2) I sent a request for CCA (May 2007)

3) The wrote back saying case is closed

4) Thurs 23rd Sept 2010, received a letter giving me 7 days to pay

5) Fri 24th Sept - Received this document via courier

I phoned them up and asked them what they had on my file from May 2007, they had NOTHING !!!

TTSU- Connaught.pdf

Good Morning,

Sorry, that is a proper SD and you need to get it set aside within 18 days from service.

You need to phone Chatham Court and check that they do handle insolvency and then start building your defence, of which there are a number on the site.

IMO the best one on the site is 42man's, which is belt and braces and steel ties. The effect of his defence makes it very hard for a debt collector to comply with, particually for an old debt.

I would read up on some of the SD threads and then come back with your thoughts and questions.

Martin g

When you called, did you ask for Mr Silcock specifically?

By law, he must be available to take your call. If you call him, say, three times and he is never available, that is a full defence in itself. Make sure you ask for him specifically, and don’t get fobbed off on anyone else. Record the calls, or at least note when you called.

Moreover, re-using the insolvency laws for a debt they know to be statute-barred (I assume you can prove this) is highly vexatious. Our friends in Reigate have form on this and are under OFT sanctions, so make sure you complain about this misuse of the SD to the OFT and to trading standards.

The CCA request should go in again too. In the meantime, search those threads and get the defence ready for the set-aside. You should also hit them for costs.

Here’s some links:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?215890-SD-from-capquest-advice-needed&p=2377149#post2377149

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?162910-1st-Credit-Statutory-Demand/page2

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?150324-Help-Statutory-Demand-Hearing

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?126044-Connaught-1st-credit-Statutory-Demand

There’s plenty more!

Edited by DonkeyB

This is definately an SD, you need to deal with this asap!!

L/Woods B/Card/Cabot - Unenforceable CCA, SD Issued *WON+COSTS*

Capital One/Cabot - No CCA account irrecoverable.

Citi/DLC Hillesden - No CCA account irrecoverable

MBNA/Aegis - Unenforceable CCA

B/Card/HFO - Unenforceable CCA

Fashion World - No CCA account irrecoverable

TRUECALL IS A GODSEND!!