style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4916 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I am having serious problems with my council tax.

I had been on a weekly payment plan in December I received a letter saying I had missed payments after I looked into this I sent the council a letter with bank statements showing the payments leaving my bank for the dates the council had given me as unpaid.

Then in Jan I received an attachment of earnings order despite my letter with bank statements.

The Attachment was for £374.But my balance now should be £274.20 I have spoke to the council by phone & had sent them my wage slips with the attachment going out so they chased my employer, which he paid & is paying after I received a pre bailiff visit letter in May

I have now had 2 rossendales letters posted in my letter box for £323. for the AOE & one for £1133. Which is for this years bill which was at £1032.00, which I have been trying to set up a payment plan with the council for but they refused my payment offers.

I am now at a loss with them I have been in tears on the phone & I am getting nowhere. I have also been sitting with a possible MS diagnosis & the stress from the debt chasing is taking its toll

Is it true they can’t refuse payment ?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Copier

Please, please don't let it get you down. Easier said than done I know BUT lots of us have been in a simiilar situation - including ME, and survived it.

One step at a time.

With regards to this year's current Council Tax liability, I have a slightly unorthodox suggestion. When I was confronted by similar circumstances earlier this year, I informed the council that I was intending to leave my property at the end of the month and would no longer be responsible for CT liability. They closed my account and effectively stopped enforcement. At the beginning of the next month, I advised them that my plans had fallen through and they sent me a new CT bill for the remainder of the year - payable monthly. (Meant that I didn't have to find the whole amount for the remainder of the year in one go and subsequently no bailiffs chasing!) As long as you then pay your CT monthly on time - no probs. Does that make sense? Anyway, it worked for me.

As regards AOE for smaller amount of arrears, you obviously have "proof" - I'm sure someone will advise you on how to approach the Council/Court - sounds like a FORMAL COMPLAINT to the CEO of the Council might be in order.

You'll get lots of great advice and support from fellow CAGgers, so just hang on.

Good Luck!!

Impecunious! :-D

Sorry, and YES - you can pay the Council online - they can't refuse your payment - just ensure that you key in the correct Account Reference Number for your account. I'd suggest NOT paying them in person, or telling them what you're doing over the phone, they'll just refer you to the bailiffs.

Impecunious! :-D

Hi

Thanks for your reply Impecunious I have made a payment online to the council & will send the same amount each week & hope they will take me back, whom would i complain to the ceo is there a governing body or the council

Hope i don't sound too dim

Thanks

Copier

• 1 month later...

Hi

finally starting to get somewhere with the council although they threaten me with you have to pay this ammount or we will start recovery & its affordable £6 extra a week, if i tighten up a bit more, but at least its progress :-)

Thankyou for your help, i just thought i would update

Copier x