have uk o draft want to pay - have questions!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4954 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there..

Have been reading info on this site - thanks to everyone for potsing lots of information..

I have a uk odraft which was originally 1800 quid - moved to Aus two years ago with every intention of paying it back - meanwhile fees, charges etc blow it out 2200 quid. Now being contacted by 3rd debt collecting agency and after reading about their nasty tactics, want to get this sorted out but:

Uk bank have my last uk address - should I tell bank / debt agency my new address in Aus?

If I tell bank / agency my new address will they send debt collectors from Australia over here to collect?

Is there still a case I can dispute the 600 quid charges with the bank and offer to pay the 1800 to the debt agency?

I know heaps of questions - am worried about this and would appreciate your knowledge and advice.. !!!!

Worried ...

Uk bank have my last uk address - should I tell bank / debt agency my new address in Aus?
Not unless you want to be pestered by Oz debt collectors.
If I tell bank / agency my new address will they send debt collectors from Australia over here to collect?
There's every chance of them doing that yes.
Is there still a case I can dispute the 600 quid charges with the bank and offer to pay the 1800 to the debt agency?
If you are willing to settle this debt you can contact the bank itself to make a full and final offer, start at a low figure because if the bank sells the debt they will only get between 7 & 16% of its face value + tax relief.
Now being contacted by 3rd debt collecting agency and after reading about their nasty tactics, want to get this sorted out but:
Given the age of this it is likely that the debt has already been sold.

You are aware that there is very little indeed a DCA can do to enforce payment in Oz unless they have first obtained a CCJ in the UK? Something which they cannot legitimately do against a non-UK resident.

If you still wish to settle only contact them in writing or by email never by telephone. It is perfectly legal for you to withold your postal address and you can deal solely by email or through a third party if you wish.

Incidentally, who is the debt collector chasing you?

Hi cerberuaslert

Thanks so much for that info..!

Can I just ask - if they still have a UK address and don't know my new address in Aus can they still put out a CCJ on me and then try and enforce in Australia?

I don't think I have a CCJ against me in UK as I would've heard about it by now...

OK in writing is the way to go direct to the bank - via email I think is best...!

The company is Moorecroft Debt Recovery - MDR by the way - read some concerning things about them, hence was worried!!

Thanks again

They cannot obtain a CCJ against a non-UK resident, if they have done it can easily be set aside. As for enforcing in Oz, in most cases it is just not financially viable to do so although they may threaten to in the hope that their subject is gullible enough to pay them.

Moorecroft have no authority to chase debts in Oz I doubt if they are even licenced there.

i have similar problem , not sure if i am writing in the right place on this site sorry!

i have hsbc overdraft of 940 pounds in a uk bank account and received a letter from metropolitan collection agency sent on 13th sept and recieved in nz on the 25th sept, wanting the whole sum paid immediately.

I am a new zealand resident and live in new zealand, the hsbc havnt contacted me as they did not have my address which they do

have now, i contacted the hsbc to set up a payment plan and the sent my debt straight to the collection agency.

The collection letter ends "failure to make full payment within 7 days may result in legal proceedings being issued in the country that i reside".

will they take me to court in nz? can they take money from my bank accounts here i do not have the money the pay the full amount, very worried.

thanks to anyone that can help.

Metro are a wholly owned subsidiary of HSBC in other words its just HSBC's debt collection department.

"failure to make full payment within 7 days may result in legal proceedings being issued in the country that i reside".
It would not be financially worth their while because of the amount owed to try and pursue through the NZ courts. Plus there's a little matter of them first obtaining a UK CCJ which they can't do against a non-UK resident.
can they take money from my bank accounts here
No.