Enduring power of attorney

trevor33
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4672 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Need a little help as to what to do.

Me and OH have an elderly uncle and aunt whom we need to protect from unscrupulous relatives.

The uncle and aunt are being fleeced, a little at a time, but we are afraid thing may get out of hand.

Their car is being used and so is the petrol they put in it. Money is being borrowed and not returned.

Their house is worth in the region of £240k and we do not think they have any loans on the equity.

We are concerned that they may be conned into signing over the deeds.

We have heard of Enduring power of attorney or deed of settlement and lease. Does anyone know anything about these and if we will be able to use this to prevent them being conned.

hi trevor33, i do know about enduring power of attorney, because it can be quite complex, i would recommend you

definitely go to see a solicitor that deals with this, and take your aunt and uncle with you, make sure they deal in this and not just wills, also they may give the first half hour free, hope this is helpful. totiesquoties.

:p[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

totiesquoties

MY ADVICE IS BASED ON COMMON SENSE AND KNOWLEDGE FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, I AM NOT LEGALLY TRAINED, AND ALWAYS CHECK LEGAL ISSUES EITHER WITH A LEGAL PERSON, OR

THE APPROPRIATE LEGISLATION. :rolleyes:

IF I HAVE HELPED, PLEASE PRESS MY STAR, THANK YOU.:lol:

Enduring Power of Attorney has been replaced with Lasting Power of Attorney - October 2007 - if I remember correctly. The LPoA is a two-part document (financial and medical) and should not be too difficult to fill out. But has to be registered now (£150?), rather than EPoA which was registered when required.

LPoA is for use when someone becomes mentally incapable of looking after their own affairs. But, they have to be mentally capable in the first place to write a LPoA ;-) If they are mentally capable, then a Power of Attoney could be put in place to look after their finances, etc. With a PoA they will still have access to their funds. This is a tricky situation and it may be worthwhile talking to Age Concern or even the Police.

Good luck,

John

• 9 months later...

Hi

Welcome to The Consumer Action Group.

I am just letting you know that as you haven't had any replies to your post yet, it might be better if you post your message again in an appropriate sub-forum. You will get lots of help there.

Also take some time to read around the forum and get used to the layout. It is a big forum and takes a lot of getting used to.

Once you start to find your way, you will soon realise that it is fairly easy to get round and to get the help you need.

It can be bit confusing at first.

Please be advised that my time will be limited for the next few weeks.Thanks for your understanding.