Telogram Ltd/HL LEGAL

zedstar
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4818 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all 1st time im posting

i recieved a letter from telogram LTD last week stating

"Telogram Limited has been engaged by a client to try and re-establish contact with an individual whom we believe is resident at the address above.."

it goes on asking me to ring them so they can update their records. if i dont contact them by 24/09/10 they will contact local sources and/or visit the above address..

today i recieved a letter from HL Legal pretty much stating the same, acting as solicitors for Telogram.

from what ive read on the forums on the internet these guys are like some debt collecting agency. i've lived at this adrress just over a year and dont have any debts what so ever. everyone says not to ring them and to just ignore. im just a bit annoyed at the fact why these people would ring my neghibours (which seems to be their local sources from what ive read), or even turn up at my doorstep. surely this cant be legal?

can someone please advise what is the best thing to do and what is it these people can do. they have not mentioned anything about any debts, as i do not have any.

thanx in advance

zedstar

Guest Cartaphilus
why would they want to update my details?

Because they are so obviously 'phishing' and they aren't sure it's you so if you phone them, they want you to confirm it's you. That is what they mean by 'updating your details'. But, of course, you aren't going to do that are you? Getting a dodgy card through the door from someone you've never heard of before asking you to phone them. They are trying to trace you in other words. Use of such methods is as old as stale tea and biscuits to these people. Don't fall for it.

Guest Cartaphilus
no it had my name on it.. does having my name on it make any difference?

It may well be it's someone with your name. DCA's do this, they don't seem to care if you owe a debt or not, providing you have the same name as a person who does. Which makes it all the more reason to report them as Cerberusalert suggested you do. You said you don't have debts, that automatically should sound a few alarm bells. So report it to trading standards.

Guest Cartaphilus
fact why these people would ring my neghibours (which seems to be their local sources from what ive read), or even turn up at my doorstep. surely this cant be legal?

Hmm, asides from there being 5 guests viewing right now, but I'd report that as well. Because, if it's not your debt as you said, why are they going to such lengths by contacting your neighbours. Seems to me that's something called 'harassment' which can also be reported.

yea one giant phishing trip to nail some poor mug with a debt that isnt theirs.

hello to the guests 7 now blimey.

times must be hard

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Guest Cartaphilus

BTW, if I get anything like your having now eg someone going to my neighbours, or even phoning them about me ... It gets reported to the police as harassment, plain and simple. Not so nice for the ones doing it, though. :) Goodnight.

Correct, NEVER EVER contact a DCA on a fising trip, that is exactly what they want you to do.

If they can make contact with you, then they will continue to fish.

Sure as eggs is eggs if they get you on the phone they will convince you that unless you make a payment now, the world is going to explode, its all crap, they have no powers whatsoever, can do nothing, can take nothing and are just assigned to do the creditors dirty work, so when it all goes pear shaped the original creditor can say, they were unaware of the DCA's practices

Just report them and ignore any further rubbish they send

Thanks cerberusalert

i rang them and explained everything. he advised me to either ignore it or to send them a letter advising them that i have been at the adress for just over a year and there is no reason they should be contacting me. if anymore letters are recieved asking/demanding me to callthem then it will be deemed as harrasment.

he gave me a ref number, said he was going to forward it to my local trading standard guys and if i recieve anymore correspondence to call them back or tom make a police complaint.

he also said even if anyone had debts they dont have much powers to do anything apart from call or send letters. to go to anyones doorstep they have to have a court order and cannot just turn up

you guys tink i should write a letter or just ignore it? i have a letter i just typed, but in 2 minds whether to send it, if i do send it im not going to put my name at the bottom as this way im just going to be confirming what they want me to confirm on the phone with them. what u tink?

The choice is yours, to either ignore them and wait for them to drop themselves in the proverbial or send them this;

Date:

Dear Sir/Madam

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the CPUTR 2008 and the Office of Fair Trading's Guidance on debt collection, which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. AND in not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to Trading Standards and also inform the Office Of Fair Trading of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully DO NOT SIGN

I bet he WONT send the reference number to Trading Standards, you need to do this yourself, via Consumerdirect.

DO NOT phone them again as they will get more info out of you than they should have. If you DO speak to them back up the call with an email with all the details (this is useful for YOUR reference as well.)

lol @ sillygirl

cerberusalert.. in the letter they have mentioned absolutely nothing about any debt whatsoever, just they want me to verify/validate my details..

inwas going to send this but i could add some of the stuff from the abvove that you posted

Dear Telogram Limited

I recived a letter from you dated xxxxxxxxx as king me to call you to verify and validate my details and that you were trying to re-establish contact with an individual whom you believe is a resident here. I then received a letter from HL LEGAL solicitors dated xxxxxxxxx with virtually the same letter requesting me to contact you.

After getting in touch with relevant authorities I have been informed to write to you and advise you that I have only been at this premises for over a year and do not see any reason for you to be contacting me. If I receive anymore letters, (apart from acknowledgement of this letter), requesting/demanding me to call you then this will be deemed as harrasment and will take it upwith the relevant authorities again.

Regards

• 4 months later...

well thought i'd post an update on this..

i've not heard anything from them directly since posting tht letter

BUT... back in december one of my neighbours told me that an international parcel company called them to advise they had aparcel for me and whether i lived at that address. the kind neighbour took their number and gave it to me. when i checked, lo and behold it was telogram!!!

i called OFT and few others they all said they havent broken the law as such as they havent disclosed any personal or indentifiable information abt me, well something along them lines. jus to holf fire and see what happens. also they said to have a look at my credit report, so i checked on experian and there was no issues, no outstanding debts or payments

anyhow other thn that i have had nothing directly from telogram