Contract length vs Warranty on mobile phone...?

tc5712
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4944 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear Caggers,

Would welcome you thoughts on the following:

My Mrs has an 18 month contract with virgin mobile and the handset has packed up after 15 months.

I called them yesterday and their stance is, the phone is only guaranteed for 12 months??!

Can this be right?

They let you sign up for 18 months worth of service with equipment only 'guaranteed' for 12?

I welcome your comments/suggestions!

TC

SOGA states that it should last a "reasonable" length of time. IMHO that is more than 12 months for a phone. Personally, I'd deal with this in writing.

Virgin Mobile Telecoms Limited,

160 Great Portland Street,

London

W1W 5QA.

Read thrugh this aswell so you can see how they will deal with your complaint and the time scales.

Virgin Mobile Complaints Policy

Keep us informed with any progress.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Yes it is correct. Your service contract is for the SIM - and providing this is working (and would provide a connection if placed in a different handset) then it is your responsibility to supply a working replacement. The handset was an 'inducement' to sign up. Because they are used and abused on a regular basis, after 15 months you'd need to prove there was an inherent fault - but if it packed in due to moisture (MOST common) unless you have insurance, you just have to buy a replacement yourself.

Yes it is correct. Your service contract is for the SIM - and providing this is working (and would provide a connection if placed in a different handset) then it is your responsibility to supply a working replacement. The handset was an 'inducement' to sign up. Because they are used and abused on a regular basis, after 15 months you'd need to prove there was an inherent fault - but if it packed in due to moisture (MOST common) unless you have insurance, you just have to buy a replacement yourself.

Ah! Well, I KNOW it's not moisture because the model has one of those 'moisture indicators' that turns red on the battery and it's still white.

The fault is with the switch mechanism that turns the screen on when slid open that has failed. Other than that there's barely a mark on it!

Looks like I am chasing a lost cause here then if a mobile contract is merely for the sim card and not the phone it'self :(

If you follow their complaints procedure you may still get somewhere. What model is it out of interest.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

'Fraid so. There is an expectation that you will mitigate your own potential losses (of service, etc) like having a spare handset to take the strain if your main one dies - unless you have a replacement handset cover. Do a search for your phone model to see if there a cases of similar issues, as this may help in 'negotiating' a replacement!

Quite a lot of manufacturers offer 24 month warranty on their phones nowadays. I thought that Samsung were one of these. I found info online saying 12 months, but then some saysing 24 months (http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/warrantyinformation/warrantyInformation.html)

Might be worth giving Samsung support a bell to see which is right, cos the might well repair free of charge depending on who's right.

It's also the distributor that should be doing this runaround....

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Well, I've been on the phone today to Virgin Mobile and they've told me that it states in their 'terms and conditions' their guarantee on mobile phones is only 12 months yet Samsung's website states 24 months.

Can they do this?

I'm comparing this to if I walked into Argos/Comet/Curry's etc. tomorrow and bought a TV and the sales guy tells me, "Yeah the manufacturers warranty is 12 months but beacuse you bought if from us it's only going to be for 6"?

This can't be right surely?

TC

I have raised a 'problem' report with Sumsung but as loutus posted above, why should I have to chase this?

My main concern is, can a supplier legally offer a lesser warranty period than the manufacturer provides?

Good customer services would've said "we offer the statutory 1 year warranty, but the manufacturer offers 2 years, call this number..."

P.S. Take photos of the moisture strips, IMEI info and any other stuff you can think of to make sure everything goes and comes back "by the book"

to

C.A.G. Toolbar