employer looking to sell his business

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4961 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

my employer is looking to sell his business for personal reasons and made myself aware of this decision verbally two weeks ago

last week he put his decision in writing and included a confidentiality clause within the letter which he asked me to sign

i was also told that this was to safeguard his sale of the business and the confidentiality clause was within the staff handbook

he was most insistant that the signed document was return that afternoon and promised he would provide a copy of the document

i did not sign and the document was susequently taken from my possession

as no copy of the document has materalised i wrote to my employer outlining my reason for not signing the document and requesting a copy of the said document as i believed it was notification of his intention to sell his business

i also requested a copy of the staff handbook to peruse at my leisure

in a brief verbal response i have been told that a staff handbook is available to read in two locations within the business but under no circumstances can it leave the building

and no notification of his intention exists to say he is putting the business up for sale despite this being contained within the document requiring my signing of the confidentiality clause

i have a meeting with my employer and his wife tomorrow and would appreciate any advise

i have been employed for twelve years within this company

essexboy

What's the meeting about? Buying the business?

no its regarding my written response regarding their letter of intention to sell tyhe business including the confidentiality request

or my request for a copy of this letter

or the fact i requested a copy of the staff handbook

i was rather hoping that someone could give a general overview to confirm or refute what has occurred so it prepare me for the meeting to either confirm or refute what is said is true

essexboy

ok thanks for that i am not disputing his right of sale just the manner he chosen to adopt

why would the employer put his intentions in writing and then demand the return of the document

as they have stated they did not have to do this

and with regards to the staff handbook do they have to comply with the request for a copy or is the fact it is readily available within the company suffecient.

essexboy

Are these documents in some way important to the sale? Perhaps he wanted to let you know as a trusted employee but when you didn't comply he is worried that information could leak out that would affect the sale price? What kind of business is it?

I am no expert, but they are a bit lacking on the forum tonight. Glad to be a sounding board though.

ok thanks for that i am not disputing his right of sale just the manner he chosen to adopt

why would the employer put his intentions in writing and then demand the return of the document

as they have stated they did not have to do this

and with regards to the staff handbook do they have to comply with the request for a copy or is the fact it is readily available within the company suffecient.

essexboy

I am struggling to see what the issue here is. The employer didn't have to tell you anything about the sale of the business, and nor did he have to put it in writing. I see nothing at all unreasonable with him asking you to agree to keep what you knew confidential, and by refusing to do so, it seems that you have created the problem. I should imagine that the employer is now worried that you have some agenda about this which explains why you are refusing to keep it confidential.

I am struggling to see what the issue here is. The employer didn't have to tell you anything about the sale of the business, and nor did he have to put it in writing. I see nothing at all unreasonable with him asking you to agree to keep what you knew confidential, and by refusing to do so, it seems that you have created the problem. I should imagine that the employer is now worried that you have some agenda about this which explains why you are refusing to keep it confidential.[/QUOT

i am not saying he is doing anything wrong but just wanted confirmation what has happened is correct

i agree he does not have to put his intentions in witing but he did along wit the confidentiality clause and it did not matter if you signed or did not the letters were collected by the end of the working day withb a promise of a copy to all staff

if the confidentiality is covered in the staff handbook surely he is covered anyway and what would he gain by including the confidentiality clause within a letter notifying his staff of his intention to sell

i accept that he does not have to provide us with this letter but he did and then due to the clause was susequently taken back and despite his agreement to provide us with a copy this has not materalised

i wrote to employer stating i had no intentions to divulge company information (which in all honesty i dont) but reserve the right to seek legal advise and to honestly inform any future employer as to my leaving of my present position if i wish to do so

in all honesty you may say that my employer may see this a a hidden agenda but as an employer surely if an employee is told to sign something that it is already" covered" within the staff handbook they can have the right to questionthe companies reasons for this action

i have had a previous good relatioship with my employer, but felt this was put to one side when dealing with his intention to sell the business

as you quite rightly say he has the right to sell his business, but communication is a requirement and unless he has something positive to say maybe he should not say anthingn and conduct his sale of his business in secret, that way it is not a tool to constantly threaten his staff.

essexboy

that way it is not a tool to constantly threaten his staff.

essexboy

Ermm - where did this come from? I was only trying to find out what the problem was, because I couldn't see one. And nothing in the OP said that the employer was "constantly threatening his staff". You said that he asked you to accept a confidentiality clause about your knowledge of the sale, and when you chose not to sign it he took back the written document - nothing about threats.