Orange - charging when i was using wi fi abroad???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4840 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I hope ive posted in the right place, really need some advice.

I went to Australia last month & stayed with my sister. Having heard the horror stories of people spending hundreds on using their phones abroad i made sure i was very careful.

I've got an iphone & turned off the roaming. I only called my emails & did internet searches when using my sisters wi fi at her home.

I did use the internet a couple of times & got messages from orange saying i had used 10mb. This made me use it less. In the last few days of our holiday Orange says i connected 9 times. This was a day when we were at my sisters house all day & her wi fi was on. I was also double checking that the wi fi signal at the top of the iphone was on before using.

I've just spoken to Orange who were quite nice but told me i had spent £639 in internet charges!!! I had calculated this to be around the £35 mark so i am completely shocked & have no idea of what to do next. They are definately trying to charge me where i thought i was connected to wi fi (im good with phones, so i would have known if it was just the mobile internet connecting.

Any advice on what to do next most appreciated, i think im being taken for a ride :!:

Hi Claire310373 and welcome to CAG:-D

I was worried about excessive charges myself before I went to Portugal on my Jollidays. I started a thread on here asking about the usage and costs etc as I have also got an iphone. In the end I switched my phone off at the airport and did not switch it back on again until I came home as I was told the iphone even though you switch data roaming off has a nasty little habit of switching it back on again.:x

I am not sure what you can do about these charges. There are people on here who will be able to offer you some advice so just hang in there and I am sure someone will be along shortly.

Thanks for that.

I'm still a bit stunned, will definately be turning it off in future. When the Orange woman read out the times some were in the middle of the (oz) night, so that would make sense with the data roaming turning itself back on.

My partner just got his bill through & although he used more than me his bill was capped at £40 - wish i was with o2 :(

O2 have been sensible about this issue, they tried it on me but I pointed out I was in Ireland, 1/2 mile from the north/south border for three days and had my phone turned off. I asked them to provide me with a list of the dates/times I accessed the internet when abroad and they caved in....

Try the same with your one, say you believe you were hacked into whilst abroad and you need to double check your usage.

• 3 months later...

700 my God...this company are the pits and its virtually impossible to get through to anyone to complain as they wont put you through. My advice to anyone who reads this is stay away from this company. I hope they crash and burn.:mad2: