style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3612 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi

I am having problems with equita after a council tax account was sent to them. I have two accounts with them, I have asked for a Breakdown of the account fee's which I did through the council and have recieved it saying that I owe them on both accounts for a enforcement fee of £160.00 and a levy fee £40.00 on one ans £24.50 on the other, also for two visits!!! on the second account i have with them I had a payment arrangement with them I was 3 days late phoned up to pay and was told I had to speak to the Bailiff, i spoke to him and made a payment, but was then told by him i still owed £178.99, i knew the original debt was only for £172.00 and when I got the letter with the breakdown on I have already paid them £223.01. On the first account I did originally have a hand delivered letter from the bailiff and I then paid payments to the bailiff, the breakdown on this account shows that I originally owed £753.66 of which I have paid £501.00 but still owe £497.16 according to these fees. I have contacted the council to pay the amount outstanding minus the charges but they have told me I have to write a letter of compliant to equita, can anyone be of any help???

Thanks

The law sets what fees bailiffs can charge for unpaid council tax - its £24.50 and nothing else. Anything extra you do pay is only by mutual agreement between you and the bailiff.

the Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992

See also, section 2/4 of the Fraud Act 2006.

Professional property investor and conveyancer

Have you had the amounts on the Liability Orders confirmed by the Council and have they also confirmed how much is still outstanding on each one? You also need to ask them the dates each one was passed to the Bailiff.

As for the Bailiff it is to them you ask for a Breakdown of fees not the Council.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The council asked the baliffs on my behalf for the breakdown of fee's which i have received! I owed £172.00 on one account which I have paid £223.00, so I have infact paid them too much, on the other account I owe £253.00 which I am quite happy to pay, what I wanted to know is how I can just pay this and not have to pay the ridiculous fees they are trying to charge.

Legally speaking, you only have to pay £24.50 for each Liability order that has been handed by the bailiff. You dont have to pay these £0000's these bailiffs try and get out of you.

ok thanks, I tried to pay the amount with the council over the phone, however this is when she told me I have to write a letter of complaint regarding the fee's to Equita. I was thinking of sending a letter with a cheque for the outstanding amount to the council?

The council asked the baliffson my behalf for the breakdown of fee's which i have received! I owed £172.00 on one account which I have paid £223.00, so I have infact paid them too much, on the other account I owe £253.00 which I am quite happy to pay, what I wanted to know is how I can just pay this and not have to pay the ridiculous fees they are trying to charge.

For a breakdown of fees you must write to the Bailiffs not do it through a 3rd Party. Have you also followed the advice to ask the Council what you owe? Until you follow the pattern of asking each you will never know the correct sums or fees you are being charged.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pay the council online, print the receipt and pass it to baliff thru letterbox if he turns up. That puts the matter to bed.