Buchanan Clark & Wells (Student Loans Company Ltd)

damonz
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4962 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am looking for some advice regarding a very old debt to the Student Loans Company Ltd.

The loan dates back to 1993 and 1994 (16-17 years ago!) and since that time I have had no contact with the SLC or any DCA. If fact I was overseas until the last 3 years.

All of a sudden in July this year I started getting threatening letters out of the blue from Buchanan Clark & Wells (Formal Demands).

Up until now I have just ignored the letters; however yesterday I call was made to my employer's main number telling my collegue they would like to speak to me regarding a student loan debt.

The call was transferred to me and they asked me to verify my DOB and address which I refused and they proceeded to try and give me their phone number and reference number to call back (which I have not done).

My question is: I believe that this debt should be statute barred and is there any advantage in writing to them to state this, or continue to ignore?

Second issue is that I have never given my employer's details on any credit application and it is not on my credit file as I have not been working for this company that long.

I did however have it listed on the LinkedIn website (business social networking) - since removed. So I am quite sure they used this website to obtain this information, is this illegal? can a DCA use such information to try and make contact?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi Damonz,

Welcome to CAG!

I don't think you've got anything to worry about here as being an old style Student Loan it comes under the Statute of Limitations. If you haven't made any payment or acknowledged the debt for 6 years (5 in Scotland) then the debt is Statute Barred.

BCW know this full well and are just chancing their arm.

Don't ever talk to them on the phone.

Send them the letter in this link, amend to suit:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/599-letter-sent-when-debt-is-statute-barred

Let us know if they pester you again.

Elsa x

AFAIK, they can and do use info in the public domain to trace people. However! Regarding them contacting you at work, that is against Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidelines and you should add a paragraph to your letter stating this and that you will be reporting them to Trading Standards and the OFT.State also that you will ONLY deal with this matter in writing.

regards,

Elsa x

Thanks Elsa, I have sent the letter off to them today.

They continue to call me every day at work and I refuse to speak to them referring that I only communicate in writing.

It is getting too much now and he threaten to send someone around to my home to talk to me "face to face" about the matter if I didn’t talk to him.

Guest Cartaphilus
They continue to call me every day at work and I refuse to speak to them referring that I only communicate in writing

Then report them and ask them to spell out the words by writing 1000 times 'h.a.r.a.s.s.m.e.n.t'.

They will send nobody to your home. It is all intimidation tactics to get you to make a payment there and then on the phone. It is statue barred, there is nothing they can do to make you pay it.

Just refuse point blank to discuss it on the phone. If they continue to harrass you, report them as advised.