• Tweets

• Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
    • The streaming giant also said it added 9.3 million subscribers in the first three months of the year.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Ruth Goalby v HSBC

RG001
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6399 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Actually, I have a couple of questions.

1. I have seperate charges for things such as card misuse, reversal of transaction etc, then I have a 'total charge' applied to my account too. Is this 'Total charge' a combined total of all the charges? I assume not, as the ' Total charge' is the same each month, whereas the 'other' charges vary.

2. When writing the letter, do you state the actual full amount of charges? ie I have ecrued 2909.50 in charges in the last 3.5 years (thats adding up 'total charges' and all 'other' charges). Will the bank work out how much should have been charged to me on my account, or will I have to work it out?

Thanks in advance.

Ruth

HSBC - Received offer for 3621, accepted confidentiality crossed out. Money in bank 10/10/06!

Barclaycard - 180.00 LBA sent 5/10/2006

72.00 offered, rejected.

MBNA - S.A.R sent 13/9/2006 :idea:

Mint - 244.00 prelim sent 30/9/2006

Dorothy Perkins and GE money - S.A.R sent 30/9/2006

Simpley BE - S.A.R sent 30/9/2006

What I say is of my own opinion. Seek professional legal advice if need be.

If I have helped, tip the scales! Thank you x :)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, that last question doesn't make sense. What I meant to say was will the bank deduct what they are lawfully allowed to charge me, or do I have to work that out myself?

HSBC - Received offer for 3621, accepted confidentiality crossed out. Money in bank 10/10/06!

72.00 offered, rejected.

Don't have a credit card, the card misuse charge is for using my switch/maestro card when I don't have the funds in my account.

Thanks anyway :)

72.00 offered, rejected.

Are these charges in blocks of £18?

We were looking at these last night and thought they might be credit card charges although we were not sure

These are all from about 3 years ago when we were getting so many charges we lost track

Hi Ruth,

The 'Total Charges' on your statement is in reference to the amount of Overdraft review fees (£25 each upto a max of £125 a month) which will be levied from your next statement. They are levied in addition to the card misuse and unpaid fees.

The bank is not legally entitled to claim the actual costs (if any) it incurred on the occasions it levied the charges, and it would not do so anyway.

I would advise you to start the ball rolling and write to the bank's head office customer complaints. There are template letters in the library, also here is a link to a copy of the letter I used to get my £700 back from HSBC if you want to use it: http://www.bankactiongroup.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1213

Good luck with your claim and I would advice you to pursue the full amount owed to you - start a court claim if you have to and dont settle for any partial offer they may make to you.

Thanks for your help everyone. With reference to the overdraft fees, are these not a set amount by the bank, who can charge what they like for providing that service? If so, I don't think I will be able to claim these back, will I?

72.00 offered, rejected.

Storm, no they are not in blocks of 18. They range from 27.50 initially, and are now 100 every month. (sorry about the lack of pound sign, it doesn't work in this computer)

72.00 offered, rejected.

ALT+156 will give you the pound sign 8) It could prove useful when drafting all your letters... 8)

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

£ aha, so it does! I do have the pound sign on MS word, have to go through the symbol function. :lol:

72.00 offered, rejected.

ALT+156 so much easier - and believe me, you will need to use it frequently.

But the obvious question is why your £ sign doesn't work. My first port of call would be:

Start Menu

Settings

Control Panel

Regional & Language Options

Set to English(UK)

This does depend on your version of Windows and that this is, indeed, the problem. Let me know how you get on.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

The overdraft review fees are incorproated into the T&C's as being payable in respect of the contract being breached. The law regarding penalties would therefore apply to them. If the bank claims it was providing you with a further service when you exceeded your overdraft limit, then it cannot establish any entitlement to the charges it levied.

Charges for providing further credit under an exisiting credit agreement could only be levied if they were incorporated into the overdraft agreement (in writing) prior to the agreement being concluded. This is the requirement of the OFT in its determination promulgated under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and is the law regarding the proper execution of overdraft agreements. The overdraft review, card misuse and unpaid fees were all incorporated into the agreement as being payable in respect of the contract being breached and, not varied.

All this is not really not relevant as all you need to do is send off you letter claiming back ALL the charges and to start a court claim if this becomes neccessary.

Good luck in getting your money back.

• 5 months later...

I have recently applied to look at my credit file. I haven't received it yet, but I strongly suspect I have default notices on there from other agencies that I hadn't been able to keep up the payments to. My question is can I apply to have these removed? HSBC have taken over 3K in charges from me, had they not taken those charges I would have been able to keep up my payments. Where do I stand on this?

Just to clarify, I suspect I have notices on there from HSBC, but also ones not applied by HSBC, but by others (for example I couldn't pay my car insurance a few months ago, a default notice was issued.)

Hope this is clear!!

72.00 offered, rejected.

Whilst you should be able to get defaults lodged by HSBC removed, they will probably argue that they are not responsible for notices applied by third parties. To get these others removed you will have to apply to the organisations concerned, and if you can prove that your arrears were caused by HSBC's penalties they MAY be sympathetic...but more than likely they won't be.

Thanks Phoenix, I thought as much!

72.00 offered, rejected.

Good luck though...

Thanks. I am really feeling bogged down by it all now, I've got three other credit cards to get sorted to, just feels like too much.

72.00 offered, rejected.

ALso, why is it so important to know about manual interventions on the account?

72.00 offered, rejected.

I think its because if it ever goes to court....they could say that had to do lots of intervention on your account, therefore making their charges more justified.

What u need id ur file that shows all these charges wer automated and therefore did not cost them the stupid amounts they claim.

Anyone better informed could answer more confidently but Im pretty sure thats at least part of the reason :)

its best to be prepared.

good luck!

xx

Kaz :)

HSBC

claiming £2749 (£3400 with court cost & 8%)

mcol acknowledge 25/09/06

DG requested breakdown 5/10/06

Breakdown sent to DG 12/10/06

Yes Car Credit/Direct Auto Finance

CCA request sent 18/10/06

Whilst my aim is to be helpful, its reasonable to assume I am not a professional and am (dare I say) not always right. Seek professional help if in doubt

:-D

:lol: If i have intentionally or accidently said something of relevance or use to you, please click the scales:lol:

"A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain". - Robert Frost

Thanks Kazzy! I did mention it in my first letter to them, but they didn't confirm whether they did or didn't.

It just frazzles my brain :0(

72.00 offered, rejected.

also, its only really going to take a matter of weeks to claim and once u get ur money back...u will feel anything BUT bogged down. You'll be thrilled at the prospect of getting charges back from other accounts so please dont be put off.

stick to your guns...its YOUR money and its not gonna be long before u are clutching a cheque from the people who stole it.

Kaz :)

HSBC

claiming £2749 (£3400 with court cost & 8%)

mcol acknowledge 25/09/06

DG requested breakdown 5/10/06

Breakdown sent to DG 12/10/06

Yes Car Credit/Direct Auto Finance

CCA request sent 18/10/06

Whilst my aim is to be helpful, its reasonable to assume I am not a professional and am (dare I say) not always right. Seek professional help if in doubt

:-D

:lol: If i have intentionally or accidently said something of relevance or use to you, please click the scales:lol:

"A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain". - Robert Frost

What u need id ur file that shows all these charges wer automated and therefore did not cost them the stupid amounts they claim.
That's about right - in asking for evidence of manual intervention you are really asking them to state, by omission, that the whole charging process is an automated one...

Thanks both! I've since emailed HSBC about any manual intervention, but they've only acknowledged my email, but not got back to me yet.

Thanks

72.00 offered, rejected.

Also, have there ever been any cases where it has been proved that there was a lot of manual intervention on their account, and thus they have not been able to reclaim the charges?

72.00 offered, rejected.

Another question, sorry!

Im getting my MCOL ready to submit. In the particulars of the claim what should I put. I'm sorry its a really thick question, but I have a really nasty habit of these things turning round and biting me on the bum ;0)

72.00 offered, rejected.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6399 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks