Used Car Rejection

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4807 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I purchased a used car from a local independant dealer. It was funded through their in house finance (ie the dealer lent me the money) but with a fixed sum loan agreement rather than hire purchase.

I have had the car since 19th August (4 weeks) and they have been aware of the following faults since the first week after collecting:

The cruise control does not function at all.

An extremely loud and embarrasing screech when the car changes gear.

Binding brakes

They have already had to repair a tyre, replace one and put new brake pads on.

They have finally arranged for it to be sent to Citroen for a diagnostics after fobbed off for 3 weeks (the usual phone me back a week next tuesday rubbish) but I would rather just hand them the vehicle back and be done with it.

I know that the rejection period must be within a reasonable amount of time but what if the dealer was made aware but did nothing for 3 weeks?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You

Before rejecting, you need to allow the seller the opportunity to investigate and repair the fault(s). Write a formal letter requesting that they either collect the car and repair it to a satisfactory standard at no cost to you or allow you to obtain a repair elsewhere to which they will pay. Give them a time limit of 7 days to reply and send by recorded delivery keeping a copy. You could also ring them asking the same question indicating that you will be following up with a written request and see what they say but send the letter in any event.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

• 2 weeks later...

It went off to citroen for the check and they phoned me 4 days later saying that it wasn't financially viable to repair the vehicle and as the cruise control is only a minor feature we would like to offer you an extended warranty in settlement.

I said no thanks as I had already bought an extended warranty so another one would be useless. That was 2 weeks ago and I still haven't collected the car. They still refused to exchange the car until I walked in there and gave them a 7 day letter before court action. They are now waiting for the manager to ok the exchange but are confident that he will.

Are we allowed to name and shame?????

Henry, if its not financially viable for them to repair the car, then warranty company would take same view and say problems not covered by warranty. Do name and shame---also think about reporting them to Trading Standards.

• 4 months later...

Rejection is difficult with new cars let alone older cars.

I have now had five cars bought back you may need to use another tact.

Did the car have any form of warranty as you can go for breach of contract.

I would give them a chance to repair car,

If fault still persists have it inspected.

A lot of companies know we threaten court but it is expensive and motor traders use companies like law data that only costs them a monthly subscription so thay dont care.

Your attack should be with the finance company and if they dont help use the financial onbudsman it is free.

This is a loan and not HP so there is no issue with finance company. Problem though is that the OP has a loan now and perhaps the loan cannot be cancelled. Mhenry needs to clearly state that he wants the loan cancelled with no interest charges added.