No Longer UK resident

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4138 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Just looking for a general advice - thank you in advance.

Now living abroad (EU), trying to get our finances sorted out. Have CCA'd creditors, have a couple of application forms back etc and checking over these, two potentially look dodgy.

Creditors at this stage do not as yet have our new address ( all mail forwarded from old Uk address by Royal Mail) - should we give them this? Just a bit concerned if any of them ever took us to court using our old address that we would not be able to have this set aside if they had not been given our new address abroad?

Thank you in adavnce for any advice.

tr7girl,

Speaking strictly as someone who has been in a similar position in the past, I would advise NOT to inform your creditors of your new address. If your debts are eventually sold to a DCA, they can't do anything if they can't find you. I had an overseas debt (from Australia) that was nearly statute-barred, and would have been had the DCA not located me (which they did via an online social network ... so if you don't want to be found, I'd suggest removing all of your details from such places).

I will leave it to others more informed than me to advise you regarding courts and CCJ's, but I would assume that you cannot be taken to court (or issued with a CCJ) if you are not a UK resident. Just because the creditor has an old address shouldn't make any difference in that matter.

Good luck.

W

It doesn't matter that you have not given a forwarding address, they cannot legally obtain a CCJ against a non-UK resident. If they do manage it you can easily get it set aside.

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT