Can I be self employed whist working for my wife or does she have to be my employer?

redrum3wins
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4961 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello to all and anyone whom can give me some advice.

I have just come of Incapacity benefit and when I was ill my wife was my carer (I was also in receipt of DLA)

My wife and I have just started a little business and are hoping that it works. It will bring us in approx £200 per week. I cannot work as much as my wife as my health will not allow it.

I can do my wife's books for her and that will take me approx 12 hours per week. I know that there is a permitted hours situation with the DWP, but we don't want that as I don't want to be going down the WCA phase etc as it causes me more stress than what it's worth.

I have been told that we would be entitled to Working Tax Credit if my wife works for 30 hours per week, can anyone tell me what proof we would need to give the Inland Revenue of this as being self employed is much more difficult to predict and prove what earnings we would end up with. If we were being employed by an employer, we would just need a letter from them and that would suffice.

I hope this post is clear as my head at present is spinning with all of the if's and but's etc.

Hoping that someone here can clear the 'fog' for me please.

Best Wishes

Edited by redrum3wins
typos

I don't know the answer to that. Have you spoken to the HMRC helpline or the CAB so far? It could be worth a try.

I'll have a think about this and post again if I have any more thoughts. Or maybe someone else will.

My best, HB

Thanks HB for your reply. The reason I haven't asked HMRC as yet is that I don't want to say something that could be detrimental to us, as these departments tend to want all of your details before they will give you any information. Eg. if I say I can only work for so many hours and their response is that the amount of hours that I specify is a no no, then I can't say - well I'll try and do those extra few hours etc. Hoping you can see where I am coming from

Best Regards