Police powers for visiting home

biggeorge
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4943 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all have a query that I hope someone could help me with.

My nephew has just got out of prison and has moved in with me and my family temporary while he gets himself sorted out with a job and a flat.

The probation have given him a curfew 7pm-7am of which they indicated checks would be made.

Can the police/probation just turn up at my home to check that my nephew is keeping to his curfew without any appointment.

I'm not too bothered if they turn up in the day time as I am around most of the time but then the check would be pointless until it was between 7pm -7am.

My wife has just given birth after a terrible labour and needs rest without been disturbed by police or probation calling without agreement of appointment.

What rights do we have if they call without notification?

George

See http://www.probation.homeoffice.gov.uk/output/page80.asp (esp the bit about what to expect)

You should ask him to speak to his supervisor to clarify how he/she intends to monitor this curfew and try to explain that frequent unexpected visits would be a nuisance to those he is staying with. Unfortunately you won't get too much specific advice here as we mainly try to sh@ft debt collectors rather than Probation officers :-)

"Why CCJ when you can CCA!"

Unfortunately you won't get too much specific advice here as we mainly try to sh@ft debt collectors rather than Probation officers :-)

:lol:

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for the replies, will get him to speak to his supervisor to clarify any possible visits.

Any visit at an unreasonable time and I will be telling whoever, police,probation where to go.

Would the right to call at ones home come into effect, implied right only for postman/someone asking for directions.

Would the police have any powers/rights if they call or can I just tell them where to go and multiply if the time is unreasonable.

George

"Would the police have any powers/rights if they call or can I just tell them where to go and multiply if the time is unreasonable."

Whilst telling numpty doorstep debt collectors to go forth and multiply makes good sense it's not such a good idea to do this to people with official powers....I'd just wait and see what his supervisor says.

"Why CCJ when you can CCA!"

• 3 weeks later...

Well 5.15 am we had a lone copper on the doorstep asking to see my nephew, didn't matter what time it was the ignorant Piers Morgan was power hungry with his threats of either I see his face or he will get nicked.

Anyone know who I complain to, police or probation services?

Completely *issed off now, got to bed at 4am with new 4 week old son who is sleeping really bad at night then plod

ringing my doorbell at 5.15am waking everyone up,Wasn't the best time to get me out of bed I tell you.

Any advise, anyone

George

Yeah of course he was:-o in and popped his head round the door so plod could see his face.

Amazingly though I think we are been targeted now as I did say a few nasty things to the plod.

Tuesday 12th 05.15 visit this plod ho got a mouthful off me

Tuesday 12th 22.30 visit

Wed 13th 02.00 visit

Now getting beyond a joke and any advice anyone could offer would be gratefully received.

We should surely have some rights over what times they call banging on the door waking up everyone.

George

P.S

Now I'm going to video every visit while telling plod where to go if after 11pm-6am.

Watch this space for links (and me been arrested)

Hi George

Sounds very much to me that the Police are taking the fight on crime to the criminal. Your nephew agreed to the conditions of release and you I assume agreed to house him, knowing that those conditions needed enforcing.

I don't want to sound harsh but if you knew that the personal circumstances in regard to a new born baby were going to cause problems you should have declined to house your nephew.

Now it seems that you are whinging that those conditions are being strictly enforced thereby your nephew knowing that if he is not complying with those conditions he will end back in the pokey. The conditions are there for a reason, ie to stop your nephew returning to his criminal ways which from the sounds of it being a curfew would entail something of the nature of burglary or some other serious crime. I note you don't mention the nature of the crime that ended up in his imprisonment, I am sure Cagger's would be interested to find out.

I find your attitude remarkable. You are somehow trying to turn the tables and suggest the Police are doing something wrong and you fully intend to bait them and are willing to get arrested. If I were you and if you actually want a quiet life you should tell the probation service that you are no longer willing to house your nephew due to personal issues around your baby.

The probation service will then have to find accommodation for him or take him to court so that he can go back to prison.

So you are asking for rights? You do have the right to have a quiet family life, but you have waved those rights away by agreeing to housing your nephew. Your nephew's rights were taken away when he was imrisoned but he has now limited freedoms because you have tempered your rights to a family life with his reintroduction to society. Remember he should be in prison.

To get your family life back renege on the deal to the Probation service and return him to prison. The last thing you should do is get arrested for it............ what good will that do your new born baby and partner??????? The Police are not the Problem it is the criminal tendencies of your nephew.