Insurance payments not collected for 13 months

Spursliz
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4672 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone help, please? In 2008 I took out home contents insurance which renewed every August. I always kept the same insurance policy running and in 2010 it was no different: I received the letter telling me I need do nothing and that the direct debit payments would be taken as normal. On Friday I received a letter from the debt department of the Insurance Company asking for £312.78 because the direct debit "had been cancelled" and no payments had been made to them since August 2009. I checked my online bank account and found that the direct debit to them was still active.

I am furious. My question is, was I still insured with them for the 13 months when no payments had been taken?

Any help would be gratefully received - I can't speak to anyone until office hours and it would be good to have some idea of what to say and whether I need pay this large sum upfront to them.

If you gave them a Direct Debit payment authority and they failed to collect when there was a live authority on your account, then this is the Insurers problem. Threaten to report then to the FSA, as there are strict rules which govern the way the Insurers handle their accounts.

If you make a complaint to Insurers and threaten to use the Financial Ombudsman, as well as report this breach in accounting to the FSA, they should back down and write the money off. Then it will be up to you to arrange new cover and a new payment authority.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Sorry, totally incorrect.

Irrespective of there being a 'live' DDM, if money does not change hands (ie, you don't pay) then you are not covered. Direct Debits are a false economy, as it gives all the power to the company, yet if they screw up - YOU remain liable. It is a common misconception that if they have the ability to take your money, but don't - that's their problem. But it isn't. YOU remain responsible to ensure that any payment is made to them and you can prove they have been credited.

If they are pursuing you as a debt, then you will probably have been covered during the period, but it would be worthwhile to ask - and whilst they may agree they erred, your rights are limited, you didn't pay, so you don't get. The responsibility is ALWAYS with the customer to ensure payment is taken.

• 9 months later...

Hi

Welcome to The Consumer Action Group.

I am just letting you know that as you haven't had any replies to your post yet, it might be better if you post your message again in an appropriate sub-forum. You will get lots of help there.

Also take some time to read around the forum and get used to the layout. It is a big forum and takes a lot of getting used to.

Once you start to find your way, you will soon realise that it is fairly easy to get round and to get the help you need.

It can be bit confusing at first.

Please be advised that my time will be limited for the next few weeks.Thanks for your understanding.