• Tweets

• Hi all, We bought a part to fix our washing machine approx 13 months ago direct from the manufacturer of the washing machine via phone. This part then failed 13 months later, as confirmed by their own engineer, who was sent by the manufacturer (who is also the retailer for the part) FoC. The engineer actually installed a replacement part, the machine came back to life, but they then removed the part used for testing (and ours reinstalled) as "we would be charged for it". The retailer are refusing to replace the part, stating that they only warranty parts for 90 days. When I stated that I believed the Consumer Rights Act gives me longer than that, they insinuated that it did not, and this was repeated by many representatives. AIUI for goods bought more than 6 months ago, I need to get an engineers report to confirm the part has failed? Or that it has failed due to manufacturing issues? Or would the companies own engineers report suffice? Also, does anyone have any other decent contact details for Hotpoint (or the Whirlpool group)? Thanks, GH
    • Thank you for that "read me", It's a lot to digest, lots of legal procedure. There was one thing that I was going to mention to you,  but in one of the conversations in that thread it was mentioned that there may be spies on the Forum,  this is something that I've read quite some time ago in a previous thread. What I had in mind was to wait for the thirty days after their reply to my CCA request and then send the unenforceable letter. I was hoping that an absence of signature could be the Silver Bullet but it seems that there are lot of layers to peel on this Onion.  
    • love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Stef v's Abbey Mortgages

rascal3103
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6251 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

anybody got a template for the AQ relating to ERC/PRC charges ?

Spanish Holiday Rental - 10% off BAG and CAG Members

www.rent-in-spain.org.uk

Progress so far:

Yorkshire Bank - LBA 26/07/06 £1001.00 - £500.50 offered and rejected

RBS Credit Card - Settled £200.00

Sainsburys - Settled in full £100.00

JD WIlliams - Settled in full £50.00

Argos Card Services - £98 - offered £60 and rejected.

Abbey Mortgages - MCOL 2nd October - Deadline 21st

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

Ok, Zoot, I was wondering if you could look through a response to the Abbey National's defence. It has been put together by Tamadus, he is helping me out loads, and is a few weeks behind me with the Abbey, so I have passed him my defence so he can be prepared for it. He has based it heavily on yours, but we would be grateful if you could just take a quick look before we send them off.

Regards

Stefan (Rascal)

www.rent-in-spain.org.uk

Progress so far:

Hi Stefan,

You do not need to respond to a defence (unless it contains a counter claim or strike out request). Once you have returned your allocation questionnaire the court will send a date through. You then need to start preparing your court bundle and preparing your arguments and respond to their defence in court......if it gets there.

You might like to follow Les' and Sandy's (linked in Les')posts and see the result of the new legal team at Abbey.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mortgage-companies/36221-me-abbey-mortgages.html

Hope this helps

Zoot

zootscoot,

So should I just keep hold of the work tamadus has done as park of my court bundle to answer any questions they may ask at court, and present this to the judge so he can se my response to their defence ?

www.rent-in-spain.org.uk

Progress so far:

hi

i have just starter MCOL procedures with Abbey for my ERC (PRC).

I am now worried though, what happens if they ask me to prove the fee like they have with a previous poster - i don't have any written proof, just the figures from various phonecalls to the abbey call centre (all confirmed the same figure).

also, if it gets to court stage (i'm praying it doesn't) how do i prove that the penalty was unlawful, ie. didn't cost them that much?

thanks in advance - i worry like mad, and am so scared of losing my court fee. i'm aware that some people have won, but has anyone lost or been to court?

hi

i have just starter MCOL procedures with Abbey for my ERC (PRC).

I am now worried though, what happens if they ask me to prove the fee like they have with a previous poster - i don't have any written proof, just the figures from various phonecalls to the abbey call centre (all confirmed the same figure).

also, if it gets to court stage (i'm praying it doesn't) how do i prove that the penalty was unlawful, ie. didn't cost them that much?

thanks in advance - i worry like mad, and am so scared of losing my court fee. i'm aware that some people have won, but has anyone lost or been to court?

Boltonangel,

First do you have a thread of your own? that way it keeps averything nice and tidy and people can find your thread easier. You can also keep a diary of your claim so other can comment and advise on it. Some info on the claim would help us advise you.

Proving the fee should be a fairly easy task, do you have a copy of the mortgage redemption statement as it will be detailed on that. If not write and ask them for a copy of it.

Have you issued MCOL yet ? Be prepared that they will defend it once you do but dont panic. So far none of them have gone as far as the actual court appearance. I also dont know of any cases that have been lost if you follow the FAQ's on this site.

Start your own thread please and post details of your claim so we can advise you

Alliance & leicester:Settled 8/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester-successes/19700-tamadus-l.html?highlight=tamadus

Capital One:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/capital-one/16644-tamadus-capital-one.html?highlight=tamadus

MBNA 2 accounts:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions-successes/13831-tamadus-mbna-i.html?highlight=tamadus

Smile:Settled 15/11/06

Egg Card:S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 2/10/06

GE Money:S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent3/8/06 LBA sent 26/9/06

Abbey:ERC prelim sent 14/9/06. LBA sent 2/10/06. Now it's getting interesting so keep watching

Barclaycard:In criminal default watch this space

Lloyds TSB:In criminal default watch this space

If my comments have been useful please click the scales and let me know.

hi

thanks for your quick response - i will start my own thread tommorrow when i have all the figures to hand - just one quick question.

i have just checked on MCOL and the claim was issued 20/10 and from what i understand they have 14 days to reply - is that correct?

hi

thanks for your quick response - i will start my own thread tommorrow when i have all the figures to hand - just one quick question.

i have just checked on MCOL and the claim was issued 20/10 and from what i understand they have 14 days to reply - is that correct?

They have 14 days from the date the claim is considered served, you should get a notification of service from the court. If the acknowledge service they get another 14 days to file a defence so 28 days in total. At a guess, and it is only a guess the claim will be considered served by about the 25/10.

Alliance & leicester:Settled 8/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester-successes/19700-tamadus-l.html?highlight=tamadus

Capital One:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/capital-one/16644-tamadus-capital-one.html?highlight=tamadus

MBNA 2 accounts:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions-successes/13831-tamadus-mbna-i.html?highlight=tamadus

Abbey:ERC prelim sent 14/9/06. LBA sent 2/10/06. Now it's getting interesting so keep watching

to keep you updated, I have filed my AQ. Just used the standard one.

The deadline was the 12th, so I will call next week to see what has happened, but I know nottingham is well behind so i am not expecting a big rush.....

www.rent-in-spain.org.uk

Progress so far:

ANother update, called the court today, it went to an allocation referal on the 14th, the clerk said it should take 10-14 days to be either given a standard hearing date, or and allocation hearing date if the judge cant decide there and then.

www.rent-in-spain.org.uk

Progress so far:

Good luck Stef!

My papers are with the District Judge and I await his/her decision.

:D

--------------------------------------------------------------

HSBC

Settled in FULL on 8/8/06 - £3619.53

CAPITAL ONE

Settled in Full on 6/9/06 - £84.76

ABBEY NATIONAL (Old N&P Mortgage)

Settled In Full on 2/3/07 - £307.13

SPML

*Court Case Withdrawn - family illness*

MORTGAGES PLC

ANother update, called the court today, it went to an allocation referal on the 14th, the clerk said it should take 10-14 days to be either given a standard hearing date, or and allocation hearing date if the judge cant decide there and then.

Fingers crossed mate :)

Thanks for all your support guys.

As with my YB claim, which i also posted an update earlier today, I am scared as to how freeky this is. After posting responses to both, I get a letter from both.

My Abbey one is basically a copy of the AQ. They have said they will be calling an employee of Abbey to show the calculation of the ERC. They have said they wish to use an expert, but have not listed any info about said expert. They have applied for it to be allocated to the multi track, even though it is only for £2k, stating that there are complex legal arguments and complex accounting principals involved. They have estimated that it will take 4 hours. They have estimated the overall costs are £5000

There further info basically goes into that fact that Abbey is the 6th largest bank and 2nd largest mortgage provider in the UK, and any decision regarding ERC's will have a large impact financially to the Abbey.

They have said that the ERC is a core term of the mortgage and does not amount to a penalty.

Well i had a smile on my face when I read it, not sure why, but I did.

surely the argument is not how the ERC has been calculated, I already understand that. It is the fact that it should represent the cost to them for me and my wife breeching our contract. Also the fact that they should not use the profit from our mortgage to underwrite their own loss should they choose to invest said profits before they actually have them from us.

So, my question is, should i draft a letter to the judge, stating this, and that for that reason I think it should be allocated to the small claims track, and that any decision in the small claims track does not set a precendent and therefore it would be worse for them if it did go multi track and I won. I think I would also point out that I am an individual, and could clearly not afford the kind of legal costs that Abbey would require, and therefore a multi track could force me to abandon my claim. Plus Mr/Mrs/Miss Nice Judge, it is well below the £5k limit.

advice please, although I think a nice explanatory letter to the judge would be ok.

Rascal

www.rent-in-spain.org.uk

Progress so far:

If they have asked for allocation to the multi track there is likely to be an allocation hearing but its worth sending a letter to the judge. See this post for info to include

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mortgage-companies/9207-reclaiming-abbey-mortgage-early-2.html?highlight=annalh#post259312

All the best

Zoot

Zoot,

Thanks for that, will use the 6 points as best as they apply to me.

Do you think I could/shuld put ANNALH vlaim number in, stating that this is a case nearly identical for ERC, with a higher amount and that had already been refused the multi track ?

That is if ANNALH is happy to give me the calim number

www.rent-in-spain.org.uk

Progress so far:

Rascal it sounds like they are going to try the trick Citi used against LicktheWallfatboy in northern ireland so it might be worth reading through his thread, although that was over standard bank charges and they ambushed him by producing their finance director without prior notice.

I'm wondering now what they will pull against those of us they filed the wrong defence against.

I did read something about this, but I will write to the judge before hand if I get a date and state that they have mentioned an expert but put nothing down, therefore the information is incorrect, and therefore I do not agree to an expert being called at the last minute. It might not mean much, but at least the judge knows I am onto them and maybe he will side with poor old lonely me

www.rent-in-spain.org.uk

Progress so far:

It's definitely worth a try :D

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I have a response from my last letter to DLA Piper, giving them a chance to settle, (why not i say to myself, it might have worked)

They have raised a few points relating to my letter , and it relates to the general defence that everybody has received (if they have received the right one...!!)

I have answered all of them, thanks to Zoots help on a different thread, however, i just wanted a short paragraph to answer this comment:

Section 15 of the SGSA provides a way of asertaining the price payable for a service when a contract makes no provision. When this is the case, there is an implied term that the party contracting with the supplier will pay a reasonable charge. Simply, the price (the ERC) payable when you exercised your right to terminate the loan was clearly ascertainable from the mortgage conditions.

Apprciate any pointers you guys can give me.

Rascal3103:razz:

www.rent-in-spain.org.uk

Progress so far:

Hi Rascal,

S.15 only applies where the price of the service is not specified in the contract. As ERCs are generally specified in the mortgage offer there is little room to argue on this point which is why I have omitted any reference to this in letters and particulars of claim. You should therefore concede this point.

All the best

Zoot

cheers Zoot, once again you are my saviour

www.rent-in-spain.org.uk

Progress so far:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

Just to keep everybody upto date.

I phoned the court today to find out what is happening aa i knew there was an allocation referal on the 14th Nov, and I have not heard anything since.

I recently wrote to the court after receiving the AQ from DLA Piper stating they wanted a multi track and the cost would be around £5000,

I basically stated all the arguments, quoted ANNALH claim number as she had already been awarded the small claims track,

They refered it again on the 22nd Dec and it has been allocated to the small claims track and i have a date of the 22nd March.

I have seen that alot of you (Les and Tamadus) have dates before then so it seems I will watch with interest to see if you have offers before that date arises.

If they are saying the costs are £5k it would be far less to pay me out.

Oh happy days..!!!

Hope you all had a nice crimbo and wishing you a happy new year.

www.rent-in-spain.org.uk

Progress so far:

Good luck with it rascal! Maybe we should swap notes, depending on whether the amended defence arrives at my door...?? Either way, it would be good to go with a united front!

--------------------------------------------------------------

HSBC

Settled in FULL on 8/8/06 - £3619.53

CAPITAL ONE

Settled in Full on 6/9/06 - £84.76

ABBEY NATIONAL (Old N&P Mortgage)

Settled In Full on 2/3/07 - £307.13

SPML

MORTGAGES PLC

Cheers Les,

I am going to give them till the end of Jan and see what happens. Then start my court bundle etc. It was clear from my AQ and other postings i have seen that the Abbey were trying to push for multi track, and one large hearing to cover all in one go.

It will be interesting to see how they go forward with the small claims track now they have not got their own way

www.rent-in-spain.org.uk

Progress so far: