craneman1

Car fire after visit to Arnold Clark Garage

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3607 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Has anyone had this experience and can offer a suggestion as to what I can do next?

I placed my 4yr old Ford focus into the local Arnold Clark dealership for a full service and a repair to the air conditioning compressor.

They allegedly carried out an oil and filter change, replaced front brake pads, replaced the brake fluid and antifreeze.

When I got the car back, it was clear to me that the oil and filter was not changed( Still black and thin with a musty smell). I tried to telephone them to complain, only to find that they had gone home for the weekend. I took the car for a run to check the brakes etc to see what else I had paid for and never got.

On the return home, the engine management light came on and the engine went into safe mode( Reduced power).

I pulled into a lay-by to check this out. I immediatley noticed smoke coming from the engine grille. Within the next three minutes, the front of the car was fully ablaze.All this occurred within 20 miles from the service point. I suspect that brake fluid was spilled onto the engine or exhaust, or, something was not tightened or fitted correctly to cause this fire, but I cannot prove it .

I have spoken to to them directly, written to them twice, but all I am getting is stonewalled.

My insurance company is dealing with this , but there is a delay and I suspect that they too are getting no information from them.

Any ideas on where I can go to to take this to the next level?

:-x

1 Billy car 4th Sept 2010.jpg

Hi craneman

Welcome to CAG

Some of the experts will offer advice shortly.

I think it might be an idea to go to Trading Standards via Consumer Direct. Have you got a service report? or have you been asked by your insuer to get an independent report?

Hi rebel11,

Thanks for responding. I have an invoice, a 32 point checklist and that's about all.

My insurance company is still dealing with this, so I really do not know what their comments will be.

I am hoping that they will pay out. I have never had to claim from the insurance in years, so I am hoping that this will be ok.

I will consult trading standards as you suggest.

Thanks.

Hi Crane

Ideally they should get Arnold Clark to foot the bill, if your insurance pays then, your premiums will go up, plus no claims bonus, etc. This is a Health and Safety Issue, Trading Standards won't take this likely, it could of been a lot worse.

http://www.arnoldclark.com/customer-services/treating-customers-fairly.html

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/