Empty nest syndrome

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4911 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We did it different me and my OH fled the nest and moved 80 miles away from our kids. Bliss :-D

Then one of them came to live with us again:doh:

Thanks guys,

I suppose in a couple of weeks time when the house is sparklingly clean and tidy, I won't be missing the wet towels lying around on the bathroom floor!

Thanks for your kind offer sodem, will decline if you don't mind!

Anyway, looks like I have other things to occupy myself with now, like an unreasonable landlord that my son has! The kids might not be here but they don't go away do they!

empty nest? I bloody wish!

My (loving) nickname for my daughter is "boomerang" (she keeps moving out "for good" then comes back!), son number 1 is "limpet" (won't even try to move out!) and son no 2 is "sunflower" (tall, lanky, head bent under its own weight, but I can't blame him for not moving out, he's only 13!!! :razz:)... However, as he's the autistic one, odds on him ever being able to lead an independent life and actually move out are slim... I can assure you, if he ever manages it, I will be crying, but with joy and relief that he can actually do what seems to be just a natural step in growing up for most youngsters!

... Plus hubby and I will finally be able to go away at every holiday if we so wish!!! :madgrin:

Boomerang Girl, after inventing perpetual motion, finally got herself a job in Italy in March, and there is a firm hope she'll actually stay there!!! Now all I can hope is that Limpet Boy takes the hint, but the chances of that, well... :rolleyes:

Dotty.... you haven't mentioned whether you have a partner or not. If not, it may help to have a few friends rally round you for a while. I have some brilliant friends and am sure that once my daughter is settled and I can see her coping well, my worries will start to subside. It's just the transition that's difficult Hun...

Blimey!! I might even find the time to meet a decent bloke!!! :wink:

Dotty.... you haven't mentioned whether you have a partner or not. If not, it may help to have a few friends rally round you for a while. I have some brilliant friends and am sure that once my daughter is settled and I can see her coping well, my worries will start to subside. It's just the transition that's difficult Hun...

Blimey!! I might even find the time to meet a decent bloke!!! :wink:

Yes P1 married nearly 25yrs!

Yes i will be fine, it's just adjusting, I know.

At least the shopping bills will be a lot less now! lol

Although, will be sending food parcels I expect! lol

According to my Mrs' date=' there's no such thing.:jaw:[/quote']

She's right....:amen: They've all had an "issue" of some kind.

One was overly ambitious and squashed over everyone who got in his way, :| one was a manic depressive with schizophrenia,:crazy: one was a control freak,:nono: one spent more time in front of the mirror than me :!: and one had... erm.... strange sexual ideas!! :jaw:Let's not go there!! LMAO.... :lol:

Of course, there are upsides.

Went to the fridge this morning and something I put in there yesterday is STILL there! :lol:

There's always an upside.... :lol:

Keep trying P1, I am sure you will find Mr Right out there, depression I can relate to, not fun!

I'm making light of it.... no disrespect to anyone who suffers with depression. He was a violent man.... so the situation was very different and it was a lot more than "depression" as such.

It was years ago but the scars are still there. To say it's put me off men is an understatement.... but I do know there are some decent ones out there :-)

I delivered my daughter to Uni at the weekend, 250 miles away from home. I'm completely and totally bereft and unconsolable. I can't stop crying. My house is empty and feels cold without her. She's my only child and I've raised her on my own for the last 9 years. I have no family near me and my bf lives 180 miles away. He was fantastic this weekend in helping us both but now I'm on my own and I'm missing my girl so much. I don't know if it's normal to feel this upset about it. :Cry: I've got to go back to work tomorrow and i have a very responsible job - i can't break down crying in the middle of the board room! I just don't want to leave the house.

I delivered my daughter to Uni at the weekend, 250 miles away from home. I'm completely and totally bereft and unconsolable. I can't stop crying. My house is empty and feels cold without her. She's my only child and I've raised her on my own for the last 9 years. I have no family near me and my bf lives 180 miles away. He was fantastic this weekend in helping us both but now I'm on my own and I'm missing my girl so much. I don't know if it's normal to feel this upset about it. :Cry: I've got to go back to work tomorrow and i have a very responsible job - i can't break down crying in the middle of the board room! I just don't want to leave the house.

As she got a laptop or computer with a webcam? You can still see her all you want. I know it's not the same, but it would surely help a bit.

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

Ah bless you hun... I can SO relate to what you mean; as will many others on here. I've brought my daughter up alone since she was 3, so it's going to be like a black hole for me when she goes off this weekend. I'm hoping that once I know she's happy and settled that I will also be happy and settled.... as it's a new chapter for her. It's also a new chapter for me and one that I'm not sure I'm ready for but will embrace anyway, once I've had time to re-adjust.

What you're feeling is very normal.... and once your tears have dried, be proud of the young lady you've raised and all that she'll become. It's so easy to keep in touch these days, with internet and mobiles... We never really lose them.

OMG.... listen to me! I'll be blubbling like a good 'un this weekend... !!

:-)

PriorityOne - My heart goes out to you and I hope you cope better than I am currently. I've been feeling myself getting lower and lower about it for a few months and now it's just erupted. I really didn't know it would be so hard. Her father has been no help at all.........I wouldn't mind so much but he actually lives only 20 minutes away from where she's moved to! I actually got in such a state last night that I sobbed like I was a 5 year old again, the snotty nose and gasping for breath type. My poor bf must have thought I was mad but he just cuddled me until i calmed down.

Sod'em - yes, she has a laptop but I don't want her to see me like this or know I'm this upset. She's extremely protective over me and it would upset her very much to know. I'm trying to resist the temptation to text her to check she's ok every few minutes and I've told her that I'll call her on Wednesdays and Sundays for a chat so that she can get used to a routine of communication. If she needs me any other time then she's free to call or text me but I'll not bug her incase she starts to resent me for it.

I suppose at the end of the day, this is the price you pay for unconditional love. I'm so proud of my girl but i'm mourning our time together and her needing her mum every day. We don't really own them, we just have them on loan till they're ready to fly. I'm counting down the days till Christmas break now.

Christmas will be here before we know it!

Curecaterpillar, do you use facebook at all?

I am talking to my son on there as we speak and it is a bit easier not seeing his face, I think that makes it more emotional.

I felt as though I was missing him more than when my older one went (now in 3rd yr) but I think I just forget how much I missed him when he first went.

It will get better honestly and your daughter will have so much more to tell you about uni life and new friends she will meet.

Lets have a little :grouphug:

Thank you, Dotty. I don't know how on earth you've managed to cope going through it twice! I don't think I could. My daughter doesn't like FB, she's a bit of a forum/social network site phobe.....just not into them at all which is a bit of a pain really. As for the group hug...I'm up for that :-)

You also have to think about positive sides to it.

I have just had a Sainsburys boned leg of lamb (it's like a little flat pack) but only enough for two or three people, so couldn't have it before and a big leg of lamb is so expensive.

So delicious!

Perhaps she will be persuaded to go on FB, especially to keep in touch with her friends at home.

I suppose at the end of the day, this is the price you pay for unconditional love. I'm so proud of my girl but i'm mourning our time together and her needing her mum every day. We don't really own them, we just have them on loan till they're ready to fly.

So true.... I knew she'd fly one day and I also know that this is the best way for her to fly. This week is a nightmare knowing she's off on Saturday... . but my job is demanding, so I try and lose myslef in that during the day.

Let's have a little :grouphug:

I will need one by the weekend for sure.....

believe me, by the time you have cleared up their clutter and done their washing, they will be back on a visit

When my eldest daughter went to uni I was very upset, cried all the way home, that evening she came back! We had to take her back again the next week! :roll: