Can IT firms request Standard CRB requests?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4967 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Does anyone know if IT firms request standard CRB requests for sales people? I have a spend conviction that goes back 23 years. I am worried that the firm will request a standard CRB even though I will not be working with vulnerable people. Job will involve selling IT solutions.

Is there any reason that you believe that the employer may ask for a CRB? They can only do this with your persmission, and I can see no automatic reason why IT sales might be included as an occupation where a CRB might be necessary. Would the job also require installation on customers' premises?

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Hi I have been advised a CRB will be performed but not what type and I did not want to ask. It will be a sales only role to companies and organisations. I will not be involved in installations. Maybe I am fretting for no reason but you never know

Thanks for the response, I know for a fact that a criminal check will be made, perhaps it will be just a basic check where a record of 23 years wont show up. I looked at the exempt occupations and cant see how a sales role will fit in even though I may visit Banks, hospital IT departments etc. Can anyone see any reason why a standard check would be done for a sales role?

Thanks for the response, I know for a fact that a criminal check will be made, perhaps it will be just a basic check where a record of 23 years wont show up. I looked at the exempt occupations and cant see how a sales role will fit in even though I may visit Banks, hospital IT departments etc. Can anyone see any reason why a standard check would be done for a sales role?

Yes, I can. Having access to sites likes banks and hospitals means that you could also have access to certain types of information or people. For example, if you get to go "behind the scenes" at a bank, and happen to be a bank robber, you could scout out all their security! But I'd suggest that you are worried over nothing. A single conviction 23 years ago, even if disclosed, should not be a barrer to employment provided, if you are asked to disclose it for a CRB check, you do. Many, many people (particularly men) have done stupid things in their past and ended up with convictions. If you have been conviction free for 23 years then that is the real point - you did something stupid, learned your lesson and moved on. The biggest mistke would be to try to hide it in the hope that it doesn't come out. Although I can understand why you feell this way, and employer might consider that this shows dishonesty now in not telling the truth. Very few employers would hold such an old conviction against you, and if they did, you have to ask yourself whether they are that good as an employer anyway. I tend to find that if an employer is unreasonable in one area, they are often unreasonable across the board.

Many, many people (particularly men) have done stupid things in their past

Cheek!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Cheek!

Sorry no - statistics :lol:

I can't recall the exact figures, but it I do recall reading that it is estimated that something like a third of the male population under the age of 35 have a conviction and that the percentage was rising. It was a couple of years ago that I read it, so I suppose it is higher now.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, I can see why an employer would want to do check, but only a basic check that would not disclose spent convictions. I still can not see if an employer can legally check for spent convictions for a sales role.

A standard check includes everything an enhanced check does (including spent convictions) with the exception that it does not also include "police intelligence" (no cracks from anyone please - I have heard them all) about things the police may know or suspect but which aren't officially in the system. Certain occupations or people who do certain things have to be checked by law, but it isn't quite so simple as saying the no other employer can check - they have to show valid reasons to be registered to check. It may also be that some of their clients will not allow you access to their premises unless the employer can confirm that they have done certain checks. This is certainly not uncommon where secured premises are concerned.

However, for you, the equation is relatively easy - you don't work for them. You want to work for them. They require you to provide a standard CRB check. If you won't, they don't offer you employment. Look at it from their point of view - if you are refusing or questioing their right to have one, how would you interpret that in their shioes? You have nothing to hide so why make it seem like you have?

I have no issues with them doing a basic check which would not show a spent conviction. I guess I am worried that "if" they ask for a standard check it will show a spent conviction and I am ashamed of. Basically 23 years ago i went to magistrates court and was fined 150 as I had not disclosed other income while claiming benefit. I just dont want the potential employer finding out about this and I am hoping that they will only ask for a BASIC check which is why I was trying to ascertain if they can ask for a standard check

The problem is that I don't see how anyone can tell you what you want to know. I can certainly see why a standard check may be required but not whether it will be. So the best anyone could say is that there are reasons why a range of employers may be able to ask for one, those reasons are set down in regulations - but if the employer has successfully complied with the regulations then they can ask for one.

I understand how you feel - but it isn't the crime of the century, or even the decade. It was something stupid and you are ashamed of it. But that's not that uncommon. If it even comes up and you have to own up to it, anybody will be able to see that it was a single mistake a lot of years ago and you aren't proud of it. There are a lot more good people in theworld who won't blink an eye at this than there are who will hold it aganist you. Try not to worry about it. What will happen will happen, worrying won't stop it, and you are probably far more worried than need be.