Jump to content
  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • can you get some phots of the roof and eaves ect without trespassing on his property? insurers will have to amke good if it is your neighbours property that is causing the problem but i would ask a surveyor to have a look first so you know what to say from the outset to get the best outcome. Your local council also has powers to order them to take action but as they wont engage it may well take the 3 years you ahve given yourslef for the house move
    • you have been stiched up  but you really should have walked away from this well beofre reading the paperwork, let alone signing it.   However, the incentive is part of the contract, same as being given a free gift as part of a sale doesnt mean the retailer caqn give you somehting that is broken and not make good just because it was "free". so, back to the incentive and the terms you signed. Chances are the terms make the contract voidanyway but we wont knwo that until we see it. give us a good idea of what this is all about and you may well find a couple of people will give you the advice you need.
    • I have given them independent reports from two roofers that say they are beyond salvageable due to the upward curl on most of them along with a few cracked.    I have given them 3 quotes for removal (I was / am happy to pay for the reroof, but was based on it being slate as I could have taken it down myself.)    They have been out and taken photos themselves of the current roof along with pictures I sent in when we first found out it was asbestos after that was done was when they offered the £200 and they wouldn't comment any further on the matter.    They have asked me to have it tested officially opposed to an visual inspection but each time I ask them will they cover costs if it does come back as asbestos they ignore the question, three times I have asked.    It was 3 years ago but I first raised the complaint at the start of this year.    The age of the roof in question dates back to the 1920s when the house was built, the main building had its original bare Welsh slate roof with limestone mortar. 
    • Agree, you need to start a formal complaint and keep it in writing but also make it clear what you expect as an outcome. An apology and some commitment to better staff traing regarding general customer services but specifically handling of medical emergencies would be in order. They have a responsibility for the health and safety of all peopel on the premises and it does look like this point was sorely missed by the manager. i would also expect them to write off the cost of the ruined meal as well, you didnt paln in advance to ahve one of your party leave in an ambulance so their actions are pretty shoddy
    • so ask for a quote for their removal. you say due to the state of the tiles but give no indication as to what that is. You do need to have something specific to wave at them to get any movement and at the moment you dont. For all they know you could be telling lies just to get a few quid to go travelling with. so get proof of asbestos and a quote for removal if the roof is too far goen for repair. Pictures to show what they shopuldnt have missed will also bolster your case. I also note that it was 3 years ago so you have enjoyed the benefit of the roof for that time regardless of what it was made of. An estimate of the age of the roof will also be needed as that will help determine whether they should ahve been looking for such materials in their survey.
  • Our picks

    • Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.
      I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.
      I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.
      No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.
      The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.
      They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.
      They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.
      I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?
      Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies

collecting repaired item

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3616 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts


can someone help i left a car stero for repair in my locall shop,the shop quoted me for the repair which i was happy and given the go ahead.


unfortunally i had a crash and could not collect the stero the next day as it would had been ready by then.


i went to collect the item after 4 months and the owner is claiming that he sold the goods of to cover the cost of repair.


is there any time limit how long an owner is to hold repaired items before dissposing them?


plz help

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Were any letters sent to you saying the goods would be disposed of if not collected by xyz

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

i only left my mobile number which was lost in the crash.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to be asking is what letters were sent, forget the telephone


at the end of the day its your property

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Procedure for obtaining the right to sell uncollected or abandoned goods


If you want to sell the goods you must take reasonable steps to trace the original owner if they, or their whereabouts, is unknown. This depends on the circumstances, but might include placing advertisements in local newspapers, notices on local community notice boards or contacting a trade association if the owner has a business.

If you have taken reasonable steps to trace the owner, but have not been successful, you can sell the goods. It is worth keeping a note of what you did to trace the owner.

If you trace the original owner, you must send two written notices to the owner before you sell the goods.





You must give the owner of the goods, a first written notice personally or by post stating:

  • that the owner is responsible for collecting the goods
  • the details of the goods and where they are
  • your name and address
  • how much money is owed, if any, for the goods when the notice is sent, for example, the cost of the repair or reasonable storage charges.

You must send the owner of the goods, by recorded delivery or registered post, a second written notice stating:

  • you intend to sell the goods if they are not collected by a date given in the notice
  • the details of the goods and where they are
  • your name and address
  • how much money is owed, if any, for the goods, when the notice is sent.

If the owner of the goods owes you money, the period between the second notice and the sale of the goods must be at least three months.


What happens if the owner does not collect the goods






If the owner does not collect the goods by the date given in the notice, and you are sure that the goods belong to the person who has been sent the notices, then you may:

  • keep the goods
  • sell the goods
  • get rid of the goods.

If the goods are sold they will then legally belong to the person who has bought them.


What happens to the money from the sale


If you are the person selling the goods, you must be able to show the original owner that the sale was handled properly to get a fair price for the goods. Apart from the expenses of selling the goods, for example, storage charges or auction fees, the original owner must be given the money from the sale if their address is known. If the goods had been left for repair and were then not collected, the cost of the repair work can also be deducted. If not, the money must be kept for the original owner. However, after six years the owner cannot claim, or sue, for the money.




When goods are accepted for repair a contract is formed so they could be in breach of contract.

So you need to ask what steps they took to trace you.

Edited by Conniff

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

What puts most of this into a cocked hat, unfortunately, is that by handing the goods over for repair, you will be accepting their T&C's which must be 'reasonable'. A period of non-collection after 3 months would be seen as being reasonable, especially if they have a high turnround. Ask for their T&C's where their disposal period is noted... if they haven't got one or cannot prove that they have - ask for a replacement or refund of the cost of purchasing a replacement. You won't be entitled to a new replacement, just one that works AND you still need to pay the repair cost.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...