Moorcroft Debt collector came to my house!!!

caral826
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4963 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

I have been reading on here for a while. I had a phone call from Moorcroft demanding I pay my overdraft from HSBC immediatly, at that time I was out of work and looking for a job. I asked if I could pay a little bit to get the ball rolling and they said no! So I said ok well can I have in writing the letter HSBC sent you to say you could collect the debt, they said they didnt have to do that so i said i wont be paying a thing or talking to anyone unless in writing. So I left it and I have had no letters or phone calls for about 3 months. Then when I was at work yesterday a Debt Collector came to my mum and dads house! he said I had to phone him but I dont want to. I'm really scared now what can i do!

nothing

they have no legal powers

the milkman has more

give us some history and dates

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Contact the police and tell them that the guy who called at your parents house is stalking you... they are NOT allowed to send doorstep collectors to friends, relatives or neighbours, also complain to the Office of Fair Trading through Consumer Direct and ring your local Trading Standards people.

This is HIGHLY illegal and they are NOT allowed to do this.

If you can go to the CAB see if they can help as well.

If you live at your mum and dads house or use it as the address for an financial service arrangements, they can visit the house, but must give prior warning of this. You are allowed to revoke the right for any such visit to happen.

If they did not warn of such a visit, report them to OFT/Trading Standards by calling Consumer Direct.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I live with my mum and dad. I have had no letters at all from them for 3 months. I am currently filling out paper work for a debt help company to get rid of a few things. It's so scarey, not only for me but for my family. I had no warning for this at all.

Hi car

Here are some Telephone Hassassment letters:- http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/resources/templates-library/52-harassment

Door step visits:- http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/591-dca-home-visit-if-you-receive-or-are-threatened-with-a-doorstep-visit-

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/590-letter-used-when-a-dca-threatens-a-doorstep-visit-

Have you got any Penalty Charges that you can claim back. It won't be easy, but at least the account will be in dispute, whilst your trying to claim back Penalty charges.

Hi Caral

Takes a step back here.

Are there just the two debts that you owe?

Did the Doorstep Collectors leave details of who he was and in writing and what did he say to your parent? Are you sure it was the HSBC one that he was chasing and did he mention Moorcroft or any other agency? Just need to make sure that you are making the complaints to the right people.

If you can, you should ring Consumer Direct (you can Google them) immediately and make a complaint about the visit and the visitor discussing this matter with your parents BUT you need to be clear about who they were and who they said they were representing. It is a very serious matter and Consumer Direct will report to trading standards.

I agree that some debt management companies are bad news and can make matters worse. You can only pay what you can afford and creditors cannot 'refuse' an offer. A DMC will not do anything that you cannot do yourself.

These companies also will not help you to actually dispute the amount of money that the DCA is claiming and it sounds like you have good grounds for looking at this.

Please support CAG and they will support you.

donate

Hi car

Read the following:- http://www.consumerforums.com/the-news/news/623-the-bank-charges-decision-where-to-now

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/51-guidance-notes/626-faq-the-new-bank-charges-position

You need to get hold of statements for all accounts for at least the last 6 years plus. You can send a SAR Request with a postal order of £10. They will send you all the data they have for you on that account. They will have to supply the data within 40 days.

Have you been mis-sold PPI Insurance on any of your accounts? Again you can claim that back with contractual interest.

yep there are loads on the santander and a few on the HSBC. thats why I owe so much!

Guest Cartaphilus
Hi Caral

Takes a step back here.

Are there just the two debts that you owe?

Did the Doorstep Collectors leave details of who he was and in writing and what did he say to your parent? Are you sure it was the HSBC one that he was chasing and did he mention Moorcroft or any other agency? Just need to make sure that you are making the complaints to the right people.

If you can, you should ring Consumer Direct (you can Google them) immediately and make a complaint about the visit and the visitor discussing this matter with your parents BUT you need to be clear about who they were and who they said they were representing. It is a very serious matter and Consumer Direct will report to trading standards.

I agree that some debt management companies are bad news and can make matters worse. You can only pay what you can afford and creditors cannot 'refuse' an offer. A DMC will not do anything that you cannot do yourself.

These companies also will not help you to actually dispute the amount of money that the DCA is claiming and it sounds like you have good grounds for looking at this.

Agree with Coledog about using a paid DMC. We've all seen the tempting tv ads ... conveniently springing up every other ad break during the day - demographics etc and who according to TV companies watches during the day - at the mere mention of 'recession' preying, thriving like parasites on people like yourself luring you to pay them ... You can't fill a bucket that is leaking, and that is what paying a DMC is. You are paying a company to do what you can do for yourself, even the basics, chucking money down a well. The idea being they want you on their books, so will want you to keep using them eg making them an income. As Coledog says, they will not do a blind thing about enforceability of debts, write letters about harassment, nothing. My advice, would be steer well clear of these companies. It's only a sensible thing to do TBH if you are struggling with payments NOT to pay a company. Leaky bucket again.

Regarding the Moorcroft 'thing' at your door. As already said, what 'demands' exactly can they make of you? Honestly, they'd be far better running an ice cream van because that is the sum of their 'legal' powers in visiting you at home. None. More alarmingly, most from reading here and elsewhere know less about the legalities of such things than you can find on the back a postage stamp.

Moorcroft employ a lot of doorstep collectors because there scary letters don't work anymore.

All the advice above is good.

Its also good to understand how these collectors work.

They work ENTIRELY on COMMISSION.

Best send letters about doorstep collection and when the vermin show up make it absolutely definate that they have not got a pray of getting anything out of you. They won't waste there time and petrol if they are getting zero.

As above they have no more powers than the ice cream man, if you tell them to get stuffed, the collector gets no money and ultimately Moorcroft get sod all.

They won't come back.

We live in an unmoderated country why should the net be any different?

Bring back free speech we miss it!

DONT use a debt company, they will only make matters worse.

I hope you aren't paying the debt company.

Agree 1000000%, we entered into a DMP and paid them over £1000, asked for a statement and found that only £300 had gone to our creditors. Never again!!!!!

With the help of the good people on here caral, you can do it alone.:-)

:razz:ALWAYS REMEMBER, IF YOU GOT YOURSELF INTO YOUR SITUATION, YOU ARE MORE THAN CAPABLE OF GETTING YOURSELF OUT OF IT

WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE DCA's!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH UPLOADING YOUR IMAGES THROUGH PHOTOBUCKET CLICK HERE

IF I HAVE HELPED YOU OR MADE YOU SMILE, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CLICK MY STAR

They work ENTIRELY on COMMISSION.

20% Commission.

I rang the number in one of the national newspapers just to find out the commission paid because I was bored and had nothing better to do with my time.

The recording told you everything up front (except for the fact that they will most likely not be trained as to if a debt exisits/enforceable etc.)

Sounded so attractive I then hung up! :-D

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

20% Commission.

I rang the number in one of the national newspapers just to find out the commission paid because I was bored and had nothing better to do with my time.

The recording told you everything up front (except for the fact that they will most likely not be trained as to if a debt exisits/enforceable etc.)

Sounded so attractive I then hung up! :-D

Stigman

So just how much is 20% of nothing :lol:

PHOTOBUCKET TUTORIAL IS NOW DONE HERE IT IS

hi guys. well i havent had anymore contact via the door, letter or phone. I dont know what to do now. I have offered to pay what i can each month. I also asked for a paying in book because at the moment I cant have direct debits on my account but they say they cant do that, when i know they can becuase my boyfriend had one.

NEVER agree to a Direct Debit with a Debt Collector, they will then have your account details. Offer to set up a Standing Order or request a payment card. YOU can only pay what you can afford and you must write to them and state that you have looked at your income and expenditure and are only able to offer xxxx amount and this is final. Add that you have taken advice on the matter. Send recorded delivery, keep copies and you have the proof that you have offered payment if they try and take legal action.

You do not have to give them any details of your income and expenditure or other payments/debt.

Avoid the DMCs as creditors, often, will not accept payments from them either - allowing the DMC to hold on to your payments.

Take steps to investigate the debts yourself as advised.

donate

Key is to stop them phoning you and the ridiculous 'doorstep' visits. If they cannot contact and harass you, they are forced to accept your terms. Follow the advice so far and make the complaints. If they contact you say 'in writing only' and don't confirm who you are.

donate

hi guys and girls,

quick update. Moorcroft still havent got back to me so i sent a letter today, recored delievery, stating what I can pay a month and that I need a paying in book as I cant have direct debits on my account. Now a funny thing happend this morning, a group called Wescot called me about my HSBC account saying I should owe them and that Metropolitain refered the account to them......but they are sending me a paying in book and I agreed to pay X amount off a month. They were acutally nice and werent having ago at me. Infact the bloke on the phone was quite nice and said aslong as I make a payment of what ever I can a month there is nothing anyone can do.

Hopefully things are on the up now!

Guest Cartaphilus
and that I need a paying in book as I cant have direct debits on my account.

The only draw back is Moorcroft usually provide a Girobank paying in book - in fact, I have one so I know what they do as do others I imagine - which means you will be paying over £2 fees at the post office counter. So, if you pay £1 means you will be paying over £3 just to pay it to them!

Infact the bloke on the phone was quite nice and said aslong as I make a payment of what ever I can a month there is nothing anyone can do

This was someone from Westcot and by what do they mean 'nothing anyone can do?' Please bare in mind these people on the phone will tell you anything but also they know nothing about legalities. They are plainly and simply a telephone call centre person with no training beyond how to use a phone and follow a script.

Guest Cartaphilus

Reading back your thread, is Wescot chasing you for the same debt Moorcroft is? You said you had a HSBC overdraft in your first post?