style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4960 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI gang , imreally in a pickle scared stiff hope someone can help me , a equita ballif called to my house over council tax arrears but no one was home he posted threatening letter sayin "they called with intention to romove goods and chattels (no idea what they are, hope there not part of my body) to discharge outstanding order..........................................................

They said will re-attend at address with immediate affect and remove goods with or without my presence . only way to stop this is to make full payment.........i contacted this oaf and he was abrupt , rude and aggresive wont talk about payment plan wants full payment ....im a single mum started working again last week low wage but my independence after a violent relationship and lot of guts to leave with kids ..Dont have much in house but im scared stiff now dont know where to go for help or what to do ???im only small and been through alot dont like this man he`s big and wont take no for answer my girls are 17 an 21 dont want them scared in there own house can anyone help me he said he will be back within 7days this is the second HELP HELP PLEASE

Edited by MARTIN3030
Removed reference numbers as they could ID you

The Bailiffs bark is a lot worse than his bite. He is there to threaten, bully, intimidate, cajole and generally have you believe he can do anything he wants. Providing he does not gain entry to your home or able to levy/seize any goods outside ( particularly a motor vehicle) then he can do nothing. Your best bet is lock all your doors and windows and when someone knocks make sure you know who it is before you open the door. If it is your newest best friend talk to him through the letter box or from an upstairs window - if you can record the conversation. He does not need the loo, have water for his pills or ring his granny they are all ruses to gain entry. Eventually when he realises you will not deal with him he will return your account back to the Council. In the meantime you must try and pay the Council a regular amount on a regular basis - say £10 per week. This can be paid through their website or automated phone line. You will be liable for some Bailiff fees - if he has already called hen you have incurred a 1st visit of £24-50, if he comes again that will be an extra £18-00, after that he can charge no more no matter how many times he calls unless he gains entry or makes a levy/sizure. If you have a car and it is not on finance then park it well out of the way and make sure there is nothing lying around outside he could seize.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is nothing outside and dont have car so ok there , thank you for help stopped cryin first time in 2 days i will pay weekly just this equita i dont want to come home and they have been and gone after takin my possesions , you have given me a b it of hope a ray of light might sleep tonight try tomo to sort things thanks will keep informed

I'm assuming he has told you you have to pay £XXX. What you need to know is how much the Council say you owe. You can find this out tomorrow by ringing them and asking:

a - how much the Liability Order is for

b - how much is still outstanding

For arguments sake we'll say you owe the Council £350 on their Liability order + the Bailiff fee for today £24-50, the Bailiff should therefore be charging you £374-50. Any more than this and he is overcharging you. There is plenty of help and advice here most have been in a similar position previously. Dealing with the Bailiff is not a pleasant experience and you have to be prepared for a siege like mentality. Eventually he will get bored and move on to someone else, he can call any day except Sunday from early morning to late evening, usually when you least expect it.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

got appointment wed in cab hopefully they can help me thanks again

Please be aware that the info from CAB can be variable depending on who or what they know. They do a good job but with limited resources. Be wary of the bailiff turning up before then, make sure you keep your doors and windows locked.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Most people read too much into the sentence on the letter from a bailiff where he states that he "will remove goods with or without your presence"

Almost everyone thinks that this means the the bailiff will break into your home while you are out at work or doing the weekly supermarket shop. WRONG.

What this REALLY means, is that...if you had a car outside he could clamp it, or alternatively if you had an expensive garden mower, sit on mower, nice teak table and chairs etc he could remove them. In addition, if you had expensive items in an unlocked shed or garage he could also remove these.

He would NOT remove items UNLESS they were of value. This is because, if challenged, he would need to ensure that if goods are sold that they had raised sufficient to cover the cost of removal, storage and auctioneers fee and that there was a SURPLUS to pay a meaningful amount towards the original debt.

He would NOT take items of a low value

Most people read too much into the sentence on the letter from a bailiff where he states that he "will remove goods with or without your presence"

Almost everyone thinks that this means the the bailiff will break into your home while you are out at work or doing the weekly supermarket shop. WRONG.

What this REALLY means, is that...if you had a car outside he could clamp it, or alternatively if you had an expensive garden mower, sit on mower, nice teak table and chairs etc he could remove them. In addition, if you had expensive items in an unlocked shed or garage he could also remove these.

He would NOT remove items UNLESS they were of value. This is because, if challenged, he would need to ensure that if goods are sold that they had raised sufficient to cover the cost of removal, storage and auctioneers fee and that there was a SURPLUS to pay a meaningful amount towards the original debt.

He would NOT take items of a low value

Hi

I am having problems with Equita after a council tax account was sent to them. I have two accounts with them, I have asked for a breakdown of the account fee's which I did through the council and have recieved it saying that I owe them on both accounts for a enforcement fee of £160.00 and a levy fee £40.00 on one ans £24.50 on the other, also for two visits!!! on the second account i have with them I had a payment arrangement with them I was 3 days late phoned up to pay and was told I had to speak to the Bailiff, i spoke to him and made a payment, but was then told by him i still owed £178.99, i knew the original debt was only for £172.00 and when I got the letter with the breakdown on I have already paid them £223.01. On the first account I did originally have a hand delivered letter from the bailiff and I then paid payments to the bailiff, the breakdown on this account shows that I originally owed £753.66 of which I have paid £501.00 but still owe £497.16 according to these fees. I have contacted the council to pay the amount outstanding minus the charges but they have told me I have to write a letter of compliant to Equita, can anyone be of any help???

Thanks

Hi,

I'm having trouble with Equita too. A man called today, being very rude and talking over me saying that i owe in full this years council tax as i hadn't paid any. I admit that i am behind but i have made regular payments to the council via their website and have email receipts. I've also checked my account and can see that the money has gone.

He said that he is coming back on Monday to remove goods even if i'm not in. I'm a single girl and live alone and am terrified that i going to lose everything, even though i'm paying!! Will he continue to call round till i have paid in full? as i cant afford that.

What can i do??

Hi,

I'm having trouble with Equita too. A man called today, being very rude and talking over me saying that i owe in full this years council tax as i hadn't paid any. I admit that i am behind but i have made regular payments to the council via their website and have email receipts. I've also checked my account and can see that the money has gone.

He said that he is coming back on Monday to remove goods even if i'm not in. I'm a single girl and live alone and am terrified that i going to lose everything, even though i'm paying!! Will he continue to call round till i have paid in full? as i cant afford that.

What can i do??

If you start your own thread you will get a better targetted response.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=168

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

He said that he is coming back on Monday to remove goods even if i'm not in.

Make your house safe and car out of reach. Bailiffs cannot break into your property so next time he calls, video-capture everything from behind your locked front door. If he makes any repeat of this threat then you can contact Police with the video and your bailiff will end up just like this one did...

Professional property investor and conveyancer