BT Broadband con tactics, im sooo peed off!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3889 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just thought I would share this one with you...

I work from home (self employed) and in April I changed from o2 broadband to BT (business) as they were advertising 20 meg, option 2 for £20/month plus vat. Being unlimited etc I thought thats the one to go for so I phoned their sales team, confirmed what I wanted was the unlimited 20 meg connection and that was that. Gave them MAC key from o2 not a problem.

Anyway a few days after I got the email saying I had option 1 for the £20/month which is not the unlimited one... so I phoned them, managed to get through and they were 'yes its option 2 you should have had' - then... got a 3 month bill for £30/month plus VAT.

Imagine the fun I have had ever since trying to tell them they quoted me £20/month for option 2 - only to be told 'oh no youre in a different exchange area we cant do that' - Sounds like a tactic to me, where the salesperson says one thing then you cant prove it.

I carried on paying what I was quoted, 20+vat/month whilst their computers were adding up the arrears.

When I started receiving 'late payment' bills for the so-called outstanding amount I decided to send a letter of complaint, recorded delivery to the companys registered office. They phoned me (from abroad obviously) and keep telling me to phone the 0800 169 8639 and press option 2 to get to the 'customer options team' - well guess what, that doesnt work lol!

Tried to escelate to OTELO with no joy they want more info but I cant give them the info they need, it doesnt exist!

Anyway a week or 2 ago I had another bill through for £89 total, with a credit then another amount taken off and the 'outstanding' bought forward - was a normal blue bill so it wasnt overdue as it was a new bill. On monday (13 sep) They cut me off, i thought what the heck phoned up and paid it (the £89). They said I would be back on within 2 hours

Well 2 hours passed, nothing, i phoned them only to be told my account has been terminated, I had to order a new service even though I am fully paid up until 31 oct! I am now on a dongle (which I use when mobile) until the new connection becomes active. Oh and to top it all, my 'new' connection estimated speed is 2500kbps... erm no it was four times that before, same router, same premises, same tel no!

What do i do now - thinking of waiting for new connection to become active, billing them £40/hour for all the time I have been put on hold etc (£40/hour is my normal hourly rate for the work i do) and charging them £100/day for loss of connection and possible loss of business.

Dare I do it, give them 14 days to pay up, then start claim through MCOL because as you can imagine im sooo peed off with them.

Let me know what you think, and if i stand a chance through MCOL - any legislation for the amount of stress they cause me not being able to get through to resolve it, being passed from pillar to post etc!

Oh and by the way it was me who took paypal to court a few years back and won so im not scared of these big companies, I would do it even just for a laugh.

:)

You would need prove they quoted the lower price, so if they confirmed it over the phone a subject access request would be needed asking for transcripts of tapes of calls to prove in court. Unless you as a business automatically record your end?

They would have had to if not willing to honor the mistake of their rep, to put you back in the position you were before as in allow you to cancel contract without penalty and transfer elsewhere and I think thats all they would have had to do if didnt want to keep you as a customer of course.

As frustrating as it is, I dont know if you could succeed in court and a court likes to know you have exhausted all avenues to sort in more a regulatory way as in otello first. Nothing to stop you raising a case but if you dont have enough info for otello you havnt enough for court xx

I wouldnt have left the arrears to add up once recodnised the fee was wrong, they could argue you accepted their contract or why didnt you move elsewhere. Probably best for both it is cancelled, but be careful they dont come after you for arrears and will you have any adverse markers put against your company/your address as self employed, that prevent another provider taking you on? (hopefully not), so be careful to look into it fully before going to court.

Normally you need to have gone through bts complaints procedure and received a reply and if not happy, can require a dead lock letter, otello require this first (may seem time consuming but worth it), then otello can take over the complaint and judge xx You do that prior to court route. Often if provider wants to avoid otello (as costs 400.00 bill to bt just to be looked into) they settle or would hope as in your case wipe bill. But if they are insisting they are in the right and bill you otello are very good xx

Other caggers more in the know will post later and add their thoughts xx

Edited by loopinlouie