teachme2teachu

DCA's v Creditors

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3327 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Can anyone tell me if I am required in law to deal with a DCA appointed by a creditor. Can I refuse to pay a debt through a DCA and deal directly with the creditor?

DON'T LET THEM GRIND YOU DOWN!!!:nono:

Ther is no actual LAW to say you cannot deal with an original creditor, but if the alleged debt has been sold to a DCA then they CAN collect (or attempt to collect) on it.

Which original creditor and DCA are giving you problems, the more specific you can be about the companies involved (we don't need to know the amount exactly) the more we can advise.

Thank you sillygirl1, the original creditor is Honours Student Loans, the DCA is Pennine Debt Recovery (PDRS Ltd) which incidentally is registered with Companies House as a non-trading dormant company. I have disputed the claim against me, not because I do not owe the debt but because of particular circumstances which occurred that caused me to be in debt. This dispute with Pennine started in late 2008. I have written to Pennine on numerous occasions asking for specific documentation (signed credit agreements, default notifications etc) but have received nothing during the last two years. The original problem started back in 2005 when I went to live and work in Greece. I sent letters to HSL asking for deferment papers to be sent to my address in Greece, but never received any correspondence back. The original loan continued in default and now the whole loan is in arrears. I returned to the UK in 2007 and have been hounded with threats of legal action and visits from debt collectors (though non appeared). I believe I am in this position due to the way HSL handled (or did'nt) my original deferment request. I'm not really phased by the constant barrage of debt letters and I'm pretty useful at sending well worded rebuttals, however any helpful pointers will be gratefully received.

regards, teachme2teachu

DON'T LET THEM GRIND YOU DOWN!!!:nono:

Thread moved to the DCA Forum

Any typos spelling mistakes are due to leprechauns in my keyboard they move the letters around sometimes (amended just for Bookie)

"How do I...?" A Dummies' Guide to this Forum

FAQ

Forum rules

Cag toolbar

Please Donate if you can - help CAG help others

I offer help and advice in good faith, based on my knowledge and experience. I am NOT a legal or financial expert. There are many CAG members and site team who are better qualified. Please do not make major decisions based on my advice alone.I do not give advice via P.M's. If anyone can correct my mistakes or improve on my advice, please do.

Hi

Welcome to The Consumer Action Group.

I am just letting you know that as you haven't had any replies to your post yet, it might be better if you post your message again in an appropriate sub-forum. You will get lots of help there.

Also take some time to read around the forum and get used to the layout. It is a big forum and takes a lot of getting used to.

Once you start to find your way, you will soon realise that it is fairly easy to get round and to get the help you need.

It can be bit confusing at first.

Please be advised that my time will be limited for the next few weeks.Thanks for your understanding.