Mistaken Identity - at my wits end

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4943 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In december 2009 I received a letter from the Bank of Scotland regarding an unpaid credit card debt. Note I have never had a credit card with BoS but have been a customer with the Halifax for as long as I can remember. After ignoring the letter, I started to receive phone calls and letters from a debt collection agency. This obviously prompted a visit to my local branch where they confirmed that the guy they were chasing (and had sold the debt onwards) had the same first and surname as I did (I have never been so grateful for having a daft middle name). They confirmed that they had contacted the debt collection agency and cleared it up and that my credit rating had not been affected. I received this in writing. However, over the following months I started to receive letters from a different debt collection agency relating to the same debt. Again I contacted my bank and they told me that they had forgot to remove my address as a "previous known address" from the bad debt but it was all sorted now. About 4 weeks ago I receive a letter from a solicitor stating that legal action may be taken if I didnt pay this debt. Halifax assured me it was a matter of the highest priority and that their Customer Services team were hard at work. This was over 2 weeks ago and no one has contacted me since. I have now sent the details of this issue (with a copy of all the correspondence) to the FOS. However, if any one has any advice about a) should I seek legal representation at this stage to protect myself and how could i recover the cost and b) have Halifax acted illegally in providing my details to a third party without my consent, given that I am not the person they are chasing. I am at the point now where I really want my bank to experience the inconvenience that I have had. Small claims court etc has come to mind. Their lack of action and customer care is disgraceful. I am worried that I will receive a home visit from the bailiffs. Many thanks in advance for any advice.