• Tweets

• Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
    • The streaming giant also said it added 9.3 million subscribers in the first three months of the year.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Capquest

Eviliscious
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4657 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

you need to be a bit more explicit -- just saying cr@ppyquest are writing to you is a bit like phoning a computer help desk and saying "My computer isn't working.

We need to know at least if the alleged debt is a Credit Card, Bank Loan, store card etc --then you can get some help.

Cheers

jimbo

Hi there

the first thing is of course the "Prove it" letter and a request for the CCA.

Then it can be progressed from there.

NEVER get scared of DCA's.

CAG will help YOU take control rather than having to jump at OTHER PEOPLE'S BEHEST.

Note just because you get into debt DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE BAD OR INADEQUATE.

We've ALL been there before on this forum.

The trick is to get out of being hounded by other people and take control back again YOURSELF.

It's do-able --just follow the excellent advice on these forums.

Cheers

jimbo

Hi,

Sound advice so far.

Here is a link to the "prove it" letter.

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/573-general-debt-letter-if-you-know-nothing-of-the-debt

DO NOT sign anything, just print your name

Send all letters by Recorded Delivery and make sure you check on the Royal Mail website for proof of delivery.

Silly question but does this debt mean anything to you?

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi Silverfox and ty for replying.

I honestly don't know anything about this debt. I've only ever had one credit card and paid that

off in full when I got divorced. I do have other debts that I play cat and mouse with but after reading this site I think I might stop moving home and try to sort them out. Those ones are door step ones that

totally crippled me by the time they gave me loan after loan to make payments I couldn't afford(£4700 in total). That's a different story I guess, but as for the credit card I really don't think this is my debt.

I've made a CCA letter to send, do I need to send any money with it?

I wouldn't bother with the CCA letter as yet. DCA's seem to think that when you send a CCA you are saying it is your debt.

As you have no knowledge of this debt, the prove it letter should suffice.

There is also another train of thought. You may be on a phishing list where the DCA sends out letters to all the people with the same name in the hope one bites. Some forum members say to ignore this letter.

I'm not one of them. I have seen cases where the letters get more and more threatening, causing the non debtor to get worried which is why I say prove it or bog off

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

I thought the prove it letter was a CCA :???: (sorry for my lack of knowledge here)

Just to make sure, is this the right one please?

Dear Sir/Madam

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.

I would point out that I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to Capquest Investments LTD.

I am familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my liability for the debt in question.

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I look forward to your reply.

Looks ok to me.

Don't worry about the lack of knowledge. I knew bu**er all when I first joined and see where my bluff and bluster has got me :madgrin:

Post it, sit back and ignore it for now.

• 1 month later...

Hi again :)

I sent the prove it letter recorded delivery on the 16th sept 10 and received this letter in response (I thought something more useful would arrive pretty quick so didnt want to waste peoples time reading it)

scanned1.jpg

Nothing more has came since, then until i received this one yesterday.

scan0002.jpg

Sorry I can't link them from Photobucket as I havn't made enough posts yet to do so :(

Can they keep sending me letters like this indefinately?

Thanks in advance

Hi again,

All I can suggest for now is to type out what the letters say.

You have sent the "prove it" letter. If they keep chasing, complain.

Thanks for the quick reply :)

The first one says:

We thank you for your recent correspondence which has been referred to the Compliance department. A quality Assurance Officer will respond in due course and we confirm that your account will remain on hold while this matter is investigated.

Yours sincerely

(scribble)

Compliance department.

The one I received yesterday:

Capquest apologise for the delay in responding to you.

We can confirm that your account is being investigated by a Quality Assurance Officer who will respond to your queries in due course. Your account will remain on hold and Capquest thank you for your continued patience in this matter.

yours sincerley

(squiggle)

Compliance Department.

scanned1.jpg

scan0002.jpg

Edited by Eviliscious

Would it be worthwhile sending a CCA?

Thanks in Advance.

No, Let them do the work first.

In the meantime, it may be worth doing a check on your credit file to make sure nothing "naughty" has been added

Hi Again

I received this letter today:

Dear Ms XXXXX (a very shortened version of my name)

I write in response to your letter received by Capquest's compliance department on 17 September 2010 and I sincerely apologise in the delay of responding to you.

On 24 July were instructed to by their client to locate and contact Ms xxx (again very shortened version of my name) formerly of and address XXXX XXXX XXXXX.

On 11 August 2010 Capquest were provided with your address by credit reference Call Credit

as the new address for the Ms XXX Capquest were seeking. Your address was updated onto Capquest systems and correspondence was issued to you in relationto the above mentioned.

After further investigation, I can confirm that there is a financial link between your previous and current address. Further more a payment of £21 was made towards the outstanding balance on 1 June 2008. Your letter states that you do not ackknowlegde any debt being owned to Capquest. Therefore in order to resolve this matter swiftly and amicably and to confirm whether this is a possible case of fraud or incorrect information held by the credit reference agencies, confirm to me directly what your previous address is or provide details of your dispute with Aqua Credit Card in order that I may investigate this matter further.

I can confirm the account will remain on hold for 28 days in order to await your response however if no response is forthcoming the account will be referred to Capquest's collections department in order to establish contact with you.

Should you wish to discuss this matter further please contact me on 0871 xxxxxxxxxx

Yours Sincerely

Miss L Denyer

Quality Assurance Officer.

After much searching of old letters,they are infact correct and I do owe money to Aqua credit card. I promise you faithfully that I never knowingly remembered this card but there is a receipt in my pile of old letters so it must be mine.

There are some odd things though about what they are saying. First is the name they are calling me. My surname is double-barrelled but they have shortened it to a couple of letters of the last part eg/ Michelle Smyth-Beckermet to Ms Beck. The second thing is im 99.9% sure I did not make a payment in April 2008 as I had moved home then and have paid nothing to anyone (Aqua or Greewoods) because I stupidly thought I could hide. Since I moved and stayed hidden from Greenwoods, I have managed to keep up all repayments on things like tv licence, car insurance and other household direct debits. With the massive amounts that Greenwoods were taking from me I fell behind in everything. They were taking all my DLA for care and mobility and a good part of my income support. I couldn't live so I did a runner (yeah i'm stupid). This is the first time i've heard anything in nearly 3 years. I'm really scared now that Capquest appear to have found me that its all going to come crashing down on me again. I don't think I can cope with that.

Don't be scared, these people like to try and bully you, but are powerless at the end of the day.

The making up of phantom payments seems to be common practice with certain DCAs, but I wouldn't worry too much about it at this stage. The next thing to do is to send the CCA request, and see what they come up with.

Thanks for replying Huff&Puff :)

I sent the CCA today. If things do go really wrong and this leads to balliffs and stuff, can they take away my mobility car or some of the other expensive disability things I own like my stairlift? :(

HI again,

DCA's are NOT bailiffs. They cannot "take your stuff" In fact, if you need to write to them again, inform them of your disability as this makes you a vulnerable debtor and they need to treat you as such.

The only way they could take what you "allegedly"owe is by taking you to court AND winning (not guaranteed by any means) If they did win and you failed to pay the judgement then AND ONLY THEN could they try to take your possessions.

Just wait the 12 +2 Working days and see what comes back.

How old is the card?

When did you last make payment? (Not the fictictious one)

Guest Cartaphilus
can they take away my mobility car or some of the other expensive disability things I own like my stairlift?
I'd like to see them trying to take away a mobility car and a stairlift. Already been said, they aren't bailifs but ... I don't honestly think they'd be legally entitled to remove those things anyway as they are paid for by the government not your property. If anyone tried to I'd expect they would have a LOT of explaining to do to a court, by taking away things like that from a disabled person ie inhumane and it would also possibly come under the Disability Act. Sorry to be seemingly blunt but forget totally what these inept idiots are saying or doing. Listenm to the suggestions, support here, instead.

Edit - it just annoys me that yet another DCA has got someone into this state of mind more than anything else.

Hi all, thanks for all the replies.

I feel a bit more reassured now that I know they can't just come in and take what they want. ( my door is usually left open during work times for doctor and nurse visits, they just knock and enter)

As far as I can remember I paid the last payment around Nov 2007 but can't remember the amount and can't find anything as proof. The thing I found from Aqua was a form wanting me to tell them my outgoings and a full bank account statements. There was no letter with the form (I must of thrown it away) so I don't know what date it was sent. I had the card about 3 years. I also have a receipt stub but date stamp is unreadable.

Thanks again :)

Edited by Eviliscious

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I just re-read my last post and it's slightly mixed up. I last made a payment around 3 years ago but I had the card about 5 years not 3.

I got a reply from them on the 6th Nov saying my recent CCA request has been sent to their compliance department. They signed for the letter on 1st November 2010.

Thanks

Hi all again.

I received this yesterday from Capquest.

Dear Miss XXXX

I write in response to your letter dated xx October 2010 of which the content has been duly noted.

Capquest Investments Ltd purchased the above account with an outstanding balance of £600.66. Capquest were not made aware of any dispute

with the account on assignment and were acting on good faith based on the information provided by Aqua Credit Card.

Please find enclosed a copy of the notice of assignment. Capquest are not legally obliged to supply you with the Purchase Order and or the receipt of the sale of the account and will not be doing so.

Capquest have contacted Aqua Credit Card to request documentation under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 for your review.

The Consumer credit act 1974 allows 12 working days for compliance of the Section 77(1) or 78(1) request. Once this time has passed the creditor would be deemed to have defaulted under the provisions of the Act, however a creditor has the right to seek enforcement of the agreement once the documentation which has caused the default is produced.

I can confirm that the account will not be forwarded to any third parties and no further action will be taken against you whilst your request is outstanding. However Capquest are under no obligation to cease interest on the account nor are they obliged to remove your data from their files.

I further confirm that the above referenced account will remain on hold to await the receipt of all the required documentation from Aqua Credit Card and also unenforceable until such time you are in receipt of the requested documentation.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this matter may have caused you. Should you wish to discuss this matter further please contact me on XXXXXXXX

Dear Ms XXXX

Your Aqua Credit card Account is XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Notice of assignment of debt

Under the terms and conditions of your Aqua credit card as at 25th May 10 you owe a debt of £600.66 (the debt) to Bank Of Scotland PLC ("BOS")

You are hereby put on notice that:

1. By way of assigment dated 24 Jul 10 assigned this debt to SAV Credit Ltd (SAV) and

2. By way of further assignment dated 24 July 10 SAV assigned this debt to Capquest Investments ltd.

As a result of the above-two-mentioned assigments, your debt is now owed to Capquest Investments Ltd. The management of your account will now be conducted by Capquest Debt recovery Ltd and all contact about your account should now be with Capquest Debt Recovery Limited whose contact details are:

You will now need to make payment arrangements directly with Capquest Debt Recovery.

Yous Sincerely

For and on behalf of SAV credit.

This is the first time i've saw this as it was sent to the wrong address.

Edited by Eviliscious
Spelling mistake (not instead of now)