style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4943 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, I am looking for some help on my impending redundancy.

I am a trainee, and work in the Civil Engineering private sector.

I was advised last week that I am at risk of redundancy along with the rest of the team as they want to close the close the office. Others in the office have been relocated to another local(ish) office but we did not have that option. I am a trainee, and am referred to as such in all correspondence and even on my confirmation of redundancy risk letter. I wonder if it is actually legal to make a trainee redundant? I don't think it is morally, or ethically, right to do so but I guess it's down to what the law says - and that's where I'm stuck. The law seems quite murky on this subject and am struggling to get my head around it. If I am made redundant I will effectively be left on the scrap pile in the immediate future as I haven't finished my college training/qualifications. I am more than capable of doing the job, and in fact lead others (but that's a different story I guess), it's just the fact that I don't have the qualifications to put down on paper in my CV that puts prospective employers off so I don't know what I am going to do.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Hello there and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry this is happening to you. My understanding is that the position is made redundant, not the person [you]. I hope someone will tell me if I'm wrong, but I'd say if the office doesn't need a trainee and other parts of the business don't, then you would be treated like everyone else whose job is at risk. I'm sorry if this isn't what you want to hear.

I know this sounds tough, but the economy is going through hard times and this is what happens in a recession or during cutbacks. Depending on what replies you get on the forum, you might consider having a look at the directgov and ACAS websites about redundancy. ACAS also have a confidential helpline you can ring, number on their website.

It may not be as bad as you think - there may be a way to finish your course and your work experience should stand you in good stead with future employers. I hope other caggers with experience of this will comment

HB x

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi 88engine

HB is right, I am sure that disappoints you but what you have to realise is that every change of direction can be a new opportunity.

You hint at your capability and your ability to lead. THAT is where you need to focus on now not harping on about lack of fairness of the law. List your achievements and what positives you have going in your life and see where you can add to them.

How far off qualification are you? What will you have when qualified? Are you getting support eg from your parents? What do you want to do in life?

This may not be what you want but the Armed Forces are always looking to train people.

Let me tell yo a story, My mate has had 3 children and each has gone into the services and come out with a qualification. His middle daughter trained as a medic and went to Afghanistan. She was badly injured and is currently recuperating. he tells me that the army is so impressed with her that they want to train her as a doctor, which is quite something I hope you agree.

The point is that youth, ambition and a clear plan on where you are going is just as important in life as the breaks you get or don't get. Treat every knock back as a chance to change and reassess.