Went through a red light...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4961 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am still shocked about it.

I was at a one-way system, going straight out at the next junction across from me. As I was approaching the junction, the light turned green and I went on, my husband yelled:"watch the red light!", I slammed on the brakes just in time to avoid the next lot of cars coming out on the left hand side. :-(

It would appear that the lights before the crossing are NOT synchronised with the ones beyond the crossing! :jaw:

I'm still reeling from it, tbh. I am and always have been a careful and vigilant driver, which just shows how easy it is to make a mistake, and I really hope I haven't been zapped crossing at the red light, because then I am going to have my work cut out to fight it. :-(

TO say that I am p*ssed off would be an understatement. :mad2:

You might have a job fighting that one. Have you got any points on your licence? If not and you have been zapped, you may get away with doing a 'Driver education course'. I did one last year for a speeding offence - cost the same as the fine but kept the points of my licence. .

Regards.

Fred

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

I have no points... yet. There is a pending fight for an alleged speeding offence when I went to Devon (36 in what I maintain is a 40 mph, they say is a 30 :mad:), and they offered me the course on that one, which I am refusing as I would have to travel somewhere in Hampshire or even the Isle of Wight and the cost is £74, so when you add the fuel and time (and back pain for me :-(), it's simply not worth it.

Nearly 30 years of impeccable driving, and 2 "offences" in the space of 3 months. Roll on 2011. *sigh*

I have done similar. It can be confusing where there are two sets of lights which are not in sequence with each other.

Are you sure that there was a camera at the junction? Maybe looking on google will show it? I think the street view images are quite recent(ish)... :|

No, I don't know for sure, but in London and suburbs, the feckers are everywhere! :mad2:

Guest Jason King
I have no points... yet. There is a pending fight for an alleged speeding offence when I went to Devon (36 in what I maintain is a 40 mph, they say is a 30 :mad:), and they offered me the course on that one,

I don't wish to appear rude but I would encourage you to take advantage of the driver awareness course as it will brush up your driving skills which have obviously become rusty as evidenced by two recent offences in a very short space of time.

Unfortunately, the older we get the more our responses whilst driving become slower.

There can be no excuse for jumping a red light. It is simply poor driving.

You ARE being rude.

If you had read my post properly, you would see that I am contesting the validity of the speeding ticket. I am not doing that just for the hell of it. :rolleyes: I'm not going to discuss the case here, but the evidence so far seems to suggest that I was in fact doing 36 in a 40 mph, which last time I checked was not an offence. Ever heard of honeytraps? Let's just say that it may appear the constabulory may have been less than fortright in this occasion. ;-)

As for your comment about the light, you weren't there, you don't know what the circumstances were. I quite agree there are no excuses for going through a red light willingly, but by your holier-than-thou standards, there are no excuses for accidents happening, ever, and yet, evidence shows that they do, and since it can't all be down to poor driving skills, one has to reach the conclusion that some of them come under the heading of: "sometimes, sh*t happens".

Having said all that, I suspect that your post was just a spiteful dig to get your own back on the comments I made on your post(s). I may be wrong. Either way, your opinion matters little to me. correction, it matters not one bit. :-)

good for you Bookie, my youngest daughter is a brilliant driver but she had a very silly accident which involved only herself and a barrier. Thankfully only her pride and her car were hurt. It only takes a second for a mistake to be made, nobody is perfect not even you JK.

Guest Jason King
You ARE being rude.

If you had read my post properly, you would see that I am contesting the validity of the speeding ticket. I am not doing that just for the hell of it. :rolleyes: I'm not going to discuss the case here, but the evidence so far seems to suggest that I was in fact doing 36 in a 40 mph, which last time I checked was not an offence. Ever heard of honeytraps? Let's just say that it may appear the constabulory may have been less than fortright in this occasion. ;-)

As for your comment about the light, you weren't there, you don't know what the circumstances were. I quite agree there are no excuses for going through a red light willingly, but by your holier-than-thou standards, there are no excuses for accidents happening, ever, and yet, evidence shows that they do, and since it can't all be down to poor driving skills, one has to reach the conclusion that some of them come under the heading of: "sometimes, sh*t happens".

Having said all that, I suspect that your post was just a spiteful dig to get your own back on the comments I made on your post(s). I may be wrong. Either way, your opinion matters little to me. correction, it matters not one bit. :-)

Yes, you are wrong, it is not a spiteful dig at you. To be honest, I didn't even recognise you had actually posted this thread, I simply read it and responded. In any case, I would not be so mean minded.

However, I have to disagree with you regarding your driving offences.

You stated you continued driving forward at a set of lights not realising they were not synchronised with ones beyond the crossing you approached.

Confusing or not, the fact of the matter is you clearly misunderstood them, that is poor driving I'm afraid.

I'm not holier than thou, I am just able to understand traffic lights and when to cross them which is why I have a 25 year unblemished driving record.

I doubt very much you were driving at 36 in a 40 zone simply because mistakes like this by the police are very few and far.

I'm sorry but it appears you have lapses of concentration whilst driving.

Guest Jason King
good for you Bookie, my youngest daughter is a brilliant driver but she had a very silly accident which involved only herself and a barrier. Thankfully only her pride and her car were hurt. It only takes a second for a mistake to be made, nobody is perfect not even you JK.

Oh c'mon hilary!

There are always two viewpoints and mine is there is no excuse for crossing a red light in the same circumstances as Bookweeds.

It was a lack of understanding of traffic control, fact. Simple as.

By the way, did you know one can be booked for crossing a red light even if an ambulance is approaching behind you?

It is an offence that is rightly viewed as a serious traffic transgression.

Don't worry Bookie. My Dad always said "they were only a rough guide anyway!" (traffic Lights)

Why I am thinking that JK is very obviously reminding me of someone else that has posted on here before under a different name ?

To tell someone who has had a clean licence for longer than 20 years and then has a couple of mishaps, that most us have had at some point in our driving career, and then to go on a course to re-train beggers belief ! How wonderful it must be to be so perfect................

JB

You stated you continued driving forward at a set of lights not realising they were not synchronised with ones beyond the crossing you approached.

Wrong. I did what good drivers get taught to do, which is look ahead of them, not what's happening right in front of their car hood and be prepared for what's coming ahead of the immediate. Ahead of me at the junction, was a set of lights which turned green as I was approaching the junction. My husband spotted the non-synchronised ones because as a non-driver, he had the leisure of not paying attention to the road ahead. Ironic, I know.

Confusing or not, the fact of the matter is you clearly misunderstood them, that is poor driving I'm afraid
:violin:

I'm not holier than thou, I am just able to understand traffic lights and when to cross them which is why I have a 25 year unblemished driving record.
Yep, that's what qualifies as a holier-than-thou. I ALSO have a -so far- unblemished driving record, and that's with spending 7 years as a cab driver in the London area, which considerably increases the chances of accidents as even you won't deny I hope? and the reason I avoided so many accidents is because I was taught to, wait for it, look ahead, in particular at junctions. Oh-hum.

I doubt very much you were driving at 36 in a 40 zone simply because mistakes like this by the police are very few and far.
Well, having read your posts on the pope thread, I can see that you have a tendency to believe the word of anyone in authority, so I can see why you would say that, and who am I to disillusion you? So doubt away all you like, since you have no evidence, that's all it is, doubt, and unless you happen to be the judge at my hearing (should the police take it that far, can't predict anything there obviously), then your doubt is worth precisely 0 on my Richter scale. :razz:

I'm sorry but it appears you have lapses of concentration whilst driving
I'm sorry too, but it appears you enjoy pontificating (ironically enough) on matters of which you have no knowledge. Careful you don't do it too often to too many people, because there is a point where that kind of behaviour (criticising without any helpful input) can be treated as "trolling", should enough people complain about it. :wink:

Guest Jason King
Wrong. I did what good drivers get taught to do, which is look ahead of them, not what's happening right in front of their car hood and be prepared for what's coming ahead of the immediate. Ahead of me at the junction, was a set of lights which turned green as I was approaching the junction. My husband spotted the non-synchronised ones because as a non-driver, he had the leisure of not paying attention to the road ahead. Ironic, I know.

Rubbish!

You should have been taught to be aware of all around you all the time, from the left, right, behind you, in front of you, everywhere and particularly at the sides at a crossing in case somebody is, erm, crossing!

Who taught you? Mr Bean?

:violin:

Yep, that's what qualifies as a holier-than-thou. I ALSO have a -so far- unblemished driving record, and that's with spending 7 years as a cab driver in the London area, which considerably increases the chances of accidents as even you won't deny I hope? and the reason I avoided so many accidents is because I was taught to, wait for it, look ahead, in particular at junctions. Oh-hum.

Well, having read your posts on the pope thread, I can see that you have a tendency to believe the word of anyone in authority, so I can see why you would say that, and who am I to disillusion you? So doubt away all you like, since you have no evidence, that's all it is, doubt, and unless you happen to be the judge at my hearing (should the police take it that far, can't predict anything there obviously), then your doubt is worth precisely 0 on my Richter scale. :razz:

I'm sorry too, but it appears you enjoy pontificating (ironically enough) on matters of which you have no knowledge.

Yes I do, I have driven since the age of 17 and I am an excellent driver.

Careful you don't do it too often to too many people, because there is a point where that kind of behaviour (criticising without any helpful input) can be treated as "trolling", should enough people complain about it. :wink:

What? Just because I feel jumping a red light is wrong, which believe it or not so does the law, I am now 'trolling', whatever that is, and you encourage posters to complain about me!

Sometimes, you should hear what is the truth, not what you want to hear, and in that way you may take good advice and brush up your driving skills so you are not in this position again!

Good grief.

Guest Jason King

Why I am thinking that JK is very obviously reminding me of someone else that has posted on here before under a different name ?

I'm probably the same as the other member you mention who just so happens to be able to drive in a competent manner, that is why we appear the same.

Tell me, would you still have the same attitude if Bookworms had 'accidently' knocked over your daughter or would you tell her to go to Specsavers!?

Rubbish!

You should have been taught to be aware of all around you all the time, from the left, right, behind you, in front of you, everywhere and particularly at the sides at a crossing in case somebody is, erm, crossing!

Who taught you? Mr Bean?

Yawn. Doing yourself no favours with that kind of daft comments.

Yes I do, I have driven since the age of 17 and I am an excellent driver.
You can't be. If you think you're "excellent", it means you are complacent about your experience and knowledge. A bit more humility and acknowledgment that there is no such thing as a "perfect" driver would go a long way towards improving yourself. and I don't just mean your driving.

What? Just because I feel jumping a red light is wrong, which believe it or not so does the law,
But you don't "just" feel that, you then go on to criticise my driving skills and impugning my judgment.

and you encourage posters to complain about me!
Easy on the paranoia. I don't encourage anyone to fight my battles for me, I am actually pretty good at doing that myself. :rolleyes: I was merely pointing out forum etiquette, of which you seem to be painfully unaware, and telling you of how your uncouth behaviour may appear to other readers.

Sometimes, you should hear what is the truth, not what you want to hear, and in that way you may take good advice and brush up your driving skills so you are not in this position again!
Actually, I wasn't asking for advice. This is the Bear Garden, where we have discussions, chinwags, have a moan or a laugh, discuss all the things which don't really need "proper" input. I posted because I was still shocked as to how, no matter how experienced and skilful a driver one may be, it takes so little to make a mistake, and as a reminder to everyone that, literally, no-one should have the arrogance to say they are an "excellent" driver, because you never know what's going to happen next.

Let's examine your statement: would a speed awareness course help me avoiding the alleged incident? NO. I WAS respecting the speed limit as indicated, since I was doing 36 in an area marked 40. I WAS aware of what the signs said, etc... and I KNOW that one shouldn't speed, etc... all things which I already know, and what's more, respect. Since I wasn't speeding, a speed awareness course is not appropriate. QED.

Would a whatever course about red lights help me to avoid the alleged incident? No. I know you're not supposed to go through a red light. I would never knowingly go through one. If I had known the light was red, I would have stopped. I didn't chance it on an amber, I didn't accelerate to avoid having to stop, I saw a green light and followed on it. No course would make a blind bit of difference to that. the only thing that will make a difference is that I now know these lights are not synchronised correctly (no coincidence that they recently had roadworks there, one feels).

Anyway, you keep on sitting on your little judgemental cloud all you like, I was there, you weren't, I know exactly what I did or didn't do and you don't, all you're doing is passing judgment based on guesswork and opinion, which as previously stated, counts for precisely nothing. :lol:

I'm probably the same as the other member you mention who just so happens to be able to drive in a competent manner, that is why we appear the same.
that's definitely trollish behaviour.

Tell me, would you still have the same attitude if Bookworms had 'accidently' knocked over your daughter or would you tell her to go to Specsavers!?
If I had knocked down anyone, daughter or not, I would imagine that their relatives would say a lot more than "go to Specsavers". :rolleyes: Furthermore, at that point, the police would have been involved, I would have been able to ask them to check the lights sequence to corroborate my version of the events, and IF I were to get prosecuted, then the defective lights could be used as effective mitigation. Handily enough, the copshop is just on the corner of that one way system.

PS: there is no crossing on that one way, at its widest point, there are 8 lanes feeding into one another, so a pedestrian crossing there would have to have a serious death wish, but that's by the by. ;-)

Guest Jason King
the only thing that will make a difference is that I now know these lights are not synchronised correctly (no coincidence that they recently had roadworks there, one feels).

QUOTE]

Now what is it? Your first post 'appears' to you the lights are not synchronised correctly and, further, you also said how 'easy it is to make a mistake.'

Now you say the lights are not synchronised correctly which would indicate it is not a mistake of your making!

You have not revealed in subsequent posts that you have found this to be the case, rather, you are changing your story to suit your needs to discredit me.

FACT- You were not paying attention whilst driving and you went through a red light, this is clear from your posts.

All I have said is pay attention in future and you won't be in this position again. However, you wish to ignore sound advice and you appear instead to want replies that you only wish to hear.